Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2012, 05:03 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
The topic of this thread is least desirable metro not city because everybody knows Detroit is really struggling. Detroit's metro is supposed to be one of the niciest and most prosperous in the country, it is just really cold.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

It was 65 degrees in the Detroit area today. Is that cold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 10:11 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times
Boston
Las Vegas
Detroit
Pittsburgh
Buffalo

Old 03-12-2012, 12:31 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Buffalo
Oh, yeah, this one too. Defined by its proximity to Niagara Falls, which really IS impressive. It may be trying, but its downtown is wretched. And they've put in a light rail to try to bring things back. First, you need to bring the people back.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:19 PM

739 posts, read 1,187,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Come on. I know Houston is bad, but I don't think it is hands down the least desirable metro in the US. There are truly boring metros like Charlotte, NC.
it is a [gross] exaggeration to say that Houston is the least desirable. However, it is a city that people either love it or hate it. And it is with understanding that not everybody is going to like Houston. It isn't for everybody, just as many other cities are not. It's matter of preference. But some here feel for whatever reason that because they don't like it, that should be the general consensus.

for me least desirable in my opinion is not just a metro, but a region and that is the midwest. Primarily the rustbelt corridor. But not everyone feels that way.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:36 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,106 times
Not sure if anyone else has, but I'm going to include cities that I've lived in or may currently live in on this list.

Least Desirable to me:
Albuquerque
Atlanta
Austin
Buffalo
Cleveland
Detroit
Dallas
El Paso
Houston
Las Vegas
Little Rock
New Orleans
Oklahoma City
Orlando
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Memphis
Miami
Milwaukee
Salt Lake City
San Antonio

Old 03-12-2012, 04:05 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire;23360630[B
]Not to bash Detroit[/b] but it's a hard city on the eyes. Many buildings are vacated, falling apart. The buildings with the nice architecture that I hear people raving about are few and far between. Detroit is not even on a lake, like Chicago, but a river. The northern suburbs go along lake St. Clair which you could swim across and find yourself in Canada. There are no forests or even hills nearby. You'd have to search hard to find a more depressing location for a large city.

That being said it's still big enough to find a lot to do. I rather live in Detroit than some city out in the Dakotas. You can also drive to Chicago, Cinci, East Coast if you don't mind some hours in the car.
smh then you proceed to bash Detroit, and those buildings are not "few and far between".

Old 03-12-2012, 06:45 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Come on. I know Houston is bad, but I don't think it is hands down the least desirable metro in the US. There are truly boring metros like Charlotte, NC.
I can see how someone might say Charlotte is boring from a typical tourist perspective, but living there is a different thing altogether and is far from boring in that aspect. Houston probably more or less fits this mold.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:34 PM

163 posts, read 525,624 times
Miami
Hartford
Cleveland
Boise
Omaha
NYC
New Orleans
Las Vegas
Portland, OR
Portland, ME
Buffalo
ABQ
El Paso

Old 03-12-2012, 07:39 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brri View Post
Miami
Hartford
Cleveland
Boise
Omaha
NYC
New Orleans
Las Vegas
Portland, OR
Portland, ME
Buffalo
ABQ
El Paso
These are outliers and not commonly on people's lists. Why did you pick these two (in bold), just curious?

Old 03-12-2012, 07:43 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
It was 65 degrees in the Detroit area today. Is that cold?
I sort of fell upon this info. today, but Detroit's July avg. high in 2011 was 89 degrees! And I thought Minnneapolis' 88 was hot!! Detroit is NOT "super cold", IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City