Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2013, 08:45 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times

Advertisements

If you want a real Boston timelapse, here's one!

It has some groovy tunes and a [creepy?] eye in the upper-right corner to boot!

[vimeo]74335401[/vimeo]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The video on D.C. isn't a time-lapse. Did you watch it? It's professionally done talking about economic and cultural development.
I did watch it, and I still think it's a time-lapse (albeit a time-lapse with words and an overarching message).

But the more important question here is: what does it have to do with Downtown DC? Do venture capital and an educated population make DT DC more vibrant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 08:52 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post

[vimeo]74335401[/vimeo]

I did watch it, and I still think it's a time-lapse (albeit a time-lapse with words and an overarching message).

But the more important question here is: what does it have to do with Downtown DC? Do venture capital and an educated population make DT DC more vibrant?

It's a promotional video to developers. It's shown to a national audience of developers trying to get them to invest in D.C. The more residential building and restaurants built in downtown D.C., the more vibrant it will be. What else makes something more vibrant?

Old 12-01-2013, 08:52 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
The video on D.C. isn't just a time-lapse. Did you watch it? It's professionally done talking about economic and cultural development. The other video's seem to have been created by amateurs instead of the city governments of Philadelphia and Boston.
Lol because the governments of Philly and Boston have other things to do rather than spend taxpayers dollars on a video that does nothing more than stroke the shaft that is the DC ego.

Also the Philly one was probably done by a college student, but was still a pretty damn good timelapse.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:

[vimeo]74335401[/vimeo]
Haha. That one is much better

Quote:

Agreed. It's just a glorified timelapse.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:57 PM

592 posts, read 827,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
lol, downtown Sebastopol pop 7k has a whole foods along with plenty of other organic grocery stores. Whole Foods is like an average grocery store in the Bay Area but people go bonkers over it in other parts of the country. There are many places that are better than Whole Foods in Bay Area. I know people who won't shop there b/c it's too corporate and has generic foods you can get anywhere. Bay Area is the only place where people will *complain* if a Whole Foods opens up. Bay Area people are really serious about food quality, and is the center of the whole green/local food movement. I would say Bay Area has the best grocery stores in terms of gourmet/quality foods in the United States at the metro level, though Manhattan has a few more strictly gourmet and specialty shops.
You're pretty much spot on. I have to be honest, I don't think I've been to a safeway or Lucky's in years, unless its to pick up just a few items. And I am not what you'd call a food snob either- I can simply get better products at local grocery stores. Out of the chains, I pretty much stick to Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and Mi Pueblo(I love their pupusas as well as a few other items).

Although big name stores like Safeway dominate areas like Pinole, nicer, better grocery stores are all over the Bay Area.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Lol because the governments of Philly and Boston have other things to do rather than spend taxpayers dollars on a video that does nothing more than stroke the shaft that is the DC ego.

Also the Philly one was probably done by a college student, but was still a pretty damn good timelapse.
I don't understand you. How would the Philadelphia city government making a video to promote Philadelphia to developers be stroking the shaft that is the DC ego? What would that have to do with DC?

And if you're right that Philadelphia doesn't do anything to promote companies to invest in Philadelphia, that makes even more since looking at the state of Philadelphia compared to the rest of the country since most cities do try to attract investment.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I don't understand you. How would the Philadelphia city government making a video to promote Philadelphia to developers be stroking the shaft that is the DC ego? What would that have to do with DC?

And if you're right that Philadelphia doesn't do anything to promote companies to invest in Philadelphia, that makes even more since looking at the state of Philadelphia compared to the rest of the country since most cities do try to attract investment.
Philly is growing albeit slow... but I think it has more to do with the state government than the city itself. If you would know as much as you claim to then you would know how terrible the PA government has been. Even to the point of chasing films out of the state for neglecting to give them tax breaks (World War Z).

Old 12-01-2013, 09:09 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Haha. That one is much better
Eh, in hindsight it probably isn't the best Boston time-lapse video: the views from the Pru are nice, but (imo) are a little repetitive and maybe even a little overused.

I still do like the music, though; it sounds like "Seinfeld meets Romantic Alien Invasion meets 80s/90s Montage Music". And the view of Logan at night is also very interesting.

Quote:
The more residential building and restaurants built in downtown D.C., the more vibrant it will be. What else makes something more vibrant?
Fair enough, but I still think that using that video to make that point was sort of beating around the bush.

Is DC building more restaurants and residential buildings than other cities?

And what would your top ten list be for downtowns? I'm sure you wouldn't put DC over NYC, but probably over Philly and maybe Boston, I'm guessing?

Old 12-01-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:

Fair enough, but I still think that using that video to make that point was sort of beating around the bush.

Is DC building more restaurants and residential buildings than other cities?

And what would your top ten list be for downtowns? I'm sure you wouldn't put DC over NYC, but probably over Philly and maybe Boston, I'm guessing?

I don't know how many buildings other cities are building in their downtown core + one mile, but I'm sure they are building quite a bit. Here is what D.C. is building in it's downtown + one mile core:

http://definingdowntown.org/wp-conte...townReport.pdf

Downtown D.C. had a population of 173,672 people in it's downtown + one mile according to the downtown report above. This is what D.C. is currently building in that footprint in the report. It would be fun to see what other cities are building in their downtown footprint defined in the report so we can see how the population will change as the units fill up across all cities :

NOMA Neighborhood Development:

Storey Park (350 units breaks ground next year)
Capitol Point (375 units under construction)
2 M Street (314 units under construction)
Camden NoMa - phase 1 (321 units under construction)
50 Florida Avenue (185 units breaks ground next year)
Constitution Square (203 units Delivered)
701 2nd Street (377 units under construction)
Trilogy at NoMa (NoMa West) (603 units Delivered)
Washington Gateway (400 units under construction)
77H (303 units under construction)
Archstone First + M (469 units Delivered)
Daily D.C. permits for Sept. 25, 2013 - Washington Business Journal (436 units under construction)
Gateway Market Center (200 units)

NOMA Development: 4,536 Units

SW Waterfront/Capital Riverfront Development:

82 I Street SE (220 Units)
Randall School (550 Units)
Camden South Capitol (276 Units)
6th Street and Maine Avenue SW (109 Units of 2,250 total units)
The Wharf -- Parcel 4 (130 Units of 2,250 total units)
RiverFront on the Anacostia (200 Units)
909 Half Street (400 Units)
The Yards: 4th and Tingey SE (325 Units)
Sky House / Southwest Towers (530 Units)
Twelve12 (225 Units)
Town Center (401 Units)
Factory 202 (250 Units)
Akridge at Half Street (280 Units)
Half Street (340 Units)
90 V Street SW (97 Units)
Park Chelsea (433 Units)
Construction Begins on 287-Unit Navy Yard Apartment Project (287 units)
Rumors of a New DC Whole Foods Gain Traction (400+ Units)
ANC Supports Movie Theater, 600+ Residences For Navy Yard (600 Units)

SW Waterfront/Capitol Riverfront Development: 8,027 units

Penn Quarter/Mt. Vernon Triangle/Foggy Bottom Development:

The Residences at City Center (216 Units Under Construction)
Lyric (234 Units Under Construction)
443-459 Eye Street (174 Units Under Construction)
460 New York Avenue (63 Units Under Construction)
West End Library & Residences (164 Units About to Break Ground)
Yale West (218 Units Delivered)
Meridian at Mount Vernon Square (390 Units Phase Two Under Construction)
450 K Street (233 Units Under Construction)
CityCenterDC (rental) (458 Units Under Construction)
West End Fire Station & Residences (52 Units About to Break Ground)
Meridian at Mt. Vernon Triangle (390 Units Phase One Delivered)

Penn Quarter/Mt. Vernon Triangle/Foggy Bottom Development: 2,592 Units

Atlas District/H Street Development:
1115 H Street (16 Units Breaks Ground Next Year)
Jair Lynch H Street (240 Units Breaks Ground Next Year)
AVA H Street (140 units Delivered)
Aria (60 Units Delivered)
The Maia (84 Units Under Construction)
301 H Street (25 Units Breaks Ground Next Year)
360 (215 Units Delivered)
600 H Street NE (450 Units Breaks Ground Next Year)
H Street Connection Redevelopment (415 Units)
Rise Development, H Street CDC picked to redevelop H Street NE parcel - Washington Business Journal (30 Units)
49-Unit Residential Project Planned For Trinidad (49 Units)

Atlas District Development: 1,724 Units

Shaw Development:

The Lima (31 Units)
1250 9th Street (70 Units)
7th Flats at Progression Place (205 Units)
CityMarket at O (condo) (145 Units)
The Cardozo (31 Units)
Blagden Alley Residences (87 Units)
P Street Residences (65 Units)
JBG Florida Avenue (242 Units)
CityMarket at O (rental) (400 Units)
Jefferson at Market Place (287 Units)
The JBG Cos. hopes to break ground by late September on its redevelopment of the former Atlantic Plumbing and Supply site by Eighth and V streets NW - Washington Business Journal (375 Units)
MRP Wins Bid to Develop 965 Florida Avenue | MRP Realty (300+ Unit Building)
DC Selects Team to Re-Develop Shaw’s Parcel 42 (105 Units)

Shaw Development: 2,343 Units

Logan Circle/Mid City Development:

http://dc.urbanturf.com/pipeline/225/Abdo_14th__Rhode_Island/ (30 Units Breaks Ground Next Year)
http://dc.urbanturf.com/pipeline/243/13th_and_U_Street_NW/ (138 Units Breaks Ground this Year)
http://dc.urbanturf.com/pipeline/103/Louis_at_14th/ (267 Units Under Construction)
http://dc.urbanturf.com/pipeline/158/The_Irwin/ (53 Units Under Construction)
Central Union Mission (51 units Under Construction)
1628 11th Street NW (33 units Breaks Ground Next Year)
1101 Rhode Island Avenue (30-40 Units Breaks Ground Next Year)
14th and Wallach Street NW (56 Units Breaks Ground Next Year)
Northern Exchange (36 Units Delivered)
The Aston (31 Units Delivered)
1905-1917 14th Street (144 Units Under Construction)
The Corcoran at 14th (40 Units Breaks Ground Next Year)
1456-1460 Church Street (35 Units Breaks Ground Next Year)
2221 14th Street (30 Units Under Construction)
2200 14th Street (18 Units Breaks Ground Next Year)
11M (80 Units Breaks Ground Next Year)
Jair Lynch : Curbed DC (95 Units)

Logan Circle/Mid City Development: 1,167 Units

Total Downtown DC + One Mile Radius: 20,392 units

Downtown DC + one mile Population prior to the construction of these 20,392 units: 173,672 people

***The report below shows the footprint of the downtown neighborhoods I listed above***
http://definingdowntown.org/wp-conte...townReport.pdf

Last edited by MDAllstar; 12-01-2013 at 10:00 PM..

Old 12-01-2013, 10:51 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times
Quote:

[vimeo]74335401[/vimeo]
Freaky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City