Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2013, 02:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
You have never been to downtown Minneapolis, but you've seen a dead area of downtown via Google Street View so your opinion counts, right?
which is why I asked if you could find some better views, since I couldn't find any. I know Minneapolis has a skyway system, I didn't know that it was so big most shops were along the skyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 02:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Judging from this shot, one would think downtown San Fran isn't all that impressive.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=San+F...163.33,,0,8.23
It actually looks better than any of the views I could find of Minneapolis. Some shops, decent architecture. Not the busiest, but not empty either.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:39 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
which is why I asked if you could find some better views, since I couldn't find any. I know Minneapolis has a skyway system, I didn't know that it was so big most shops were along the skyway.
Downtown MPLS has over eight miles of skyways linking 80 downtown blocks from the riverfront to the convention center and Target Field to 5th Avenue South. There are several small eateries and shops located within the skyway system. I'm not a fan nor is the city's mayor and many of its business leaders.

http://www.mn2020.org/assets/uploads...kyways2010.png

Last edited by JMT; 12-03-2013 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: Please follow the rules for posting images.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:45 PM

592 posts, read 828,263 times
Quote:
You have never been to downtown Minneapolis, but you've seen a dead area of downtown via Google Street View so your opinion counts, right?

Perhaps you should actually spend some time in downtown Minneapolis instead of relying on Google Maps to help form your opinions. If you had spent anytime there, you would know that downtown MPLS has a massive skyway system, which is full of shops and people. People use them throughout the year, which does take away street activity in a lot of areas of downtown, including Nicollet Mall.

Judging from this shot, one would think downtown San Fran isn't all that impressive.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=San+F...163.33,,0,8.23
If you can post pictures of downtown Minneapolis with robust street activity, please do. I can only go off what I see. Not just from Google Street View but Google Images.

Yes, of course you can find single pictures of downtown San Francisco and think its unimpressive. However, most of us here know that San Francisco is a top 3 or 4 downtown in America. Anyone here can post numerous pictures showing robust street activity. If you have some, post some of Minneapolis because lets be honest, few here will think of downtown Minneapolis being a thriving place. Prove us wrong. A Target and Whole Foods doesn't cut it.

Besides, the picture you posted of SF actually contains numerous shops, including the Westfield shopping Center, which is one of the largest urban malls in America and also has a organic grocery store which is better than Whole Foods in my opinion.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/binary/699e/adome3.jpg

http://www.sanfrancisco.net/pictures...-westfield.jpg

http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/06/67/17.../9/628x471.jpg

It reminds me a lot of the Eaton Center downtown Toronto. Maybe a tad bit smaller, but a bit more upscale.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
If you can post pictures of downtown Minneapolis with robust street activity, please do. I can only go off what I see. Not just from Google Street View but Google Images.

Yes, of course you can find single pictures of downtown San Francisco and think its unimpressive. However, most of us here know that San Francisco is a top 3 or 4 downtown in America. Anyone here can post numerous pictures showing robust street activity. If you have some, post some of Minneapolis because lets be honest, few here will think of downtown Minneapolis being a thriving place. Prove us wrong. A Target and Whole Foods doesn't cut it.
Not one person, including myself, ever stated that San Francisco isn't a top 3 or 4 downtown area so stop being paranoid.

The fact is that downtown Minneapolis has a lot more going on than the majority of US downtown areas. It has the transportation options that most downtown areas don't have; it has the architecture that most downtown areas don't have; it has the workforce that most US downtown don't have; it has a higher number of residents that most downtown areas don't have; it has the entertainment options that most don't have; it has the more retail, including Target, Whole Foods and dozens of other stores/shops that most downtown areas don't have; it also has a skyway system that takes thousands of people off the street each day - again, something that most downtown areas don't have. These are all facts that can't be disputed.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:59 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Downtown Whole Foods and other grocery stores/box stores are actually quite common. Anybody who has done a lot of traveling in the last 10 years would have noticed a MAJOR change in downtown orientation across the U.S., not just in big cities like San Francisco, but also smaller places like Orlando, Charlotte, Omaha, etc... These plays are WAYYYY better than they were just 10-15 years ago. So what the jury wants to know is, what sets Minneapolis apart, please don't list Target or Whole Foods...
When I am looking at good downtowns, I want to see unique local places I can't find elsewhere and/or flagship stores and a general lack of chains. Otherwise, why would I want to visit or live there?
It's kind of clear from the description that while Minneapolis might be safe, livable, and nice, it isn't all that unique and is in fact kind of generic, similar to Denver. I don't think there are that many people moving there *for* the city and lifestyle it provides like people do with San Francisco or New York, or even small places like New Orleans and Portland. It's more in the category of cities like Dallas, Denver, Charlotte etc. Jobs first and we hope we can get some big name chains to come in.

Last edited by grapico; 12-03-2013 at 10:16 PM..

Old 12-03-2013, 11:42 PM

646 posts, read 926,457 times
what about pittsburgh downtown?

Old 12-04-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Downtown Whole Foods and other grocery stores/box stores are actually quite common.
Quite common? By common are you saying 10, 20 30, or more downtown areas have a local full-service grocer or national grocer such as Whole Foods?

Downtown MPLS has a local (Lunds) and national (Whole Foods). That's two more than most downtown areas.

Quote:
Anybody who has done a lot of traveling in the last 10 years would have noticed a MAJOR change in downtown orientation across the U.S., not just in big cities like San Francisco, but also smaller places like Orlando, Charlotte, Omaha, etc... These plays are WAYYYY better than they were just 10-15 years ago.
Some of these downtown areas are better than what they were 10 or 15 years ago, but still nothing compared to what they were 30+ years ago. BTW, I've done a lot of traveling and most downtown areas don't have a full-service grocery store. Downtown MPLS has two.

Quote:
So what the jury wants to know is, what sets Minneapolis apart, please don't list Target or Whole Foods...
When I am looking at good downtowns, I want to see unique local places I can't find elsewhere and/or flagship stores and a general lack of chains. Otherwise, why would I want to visit or live there?
There is more to what makes a downtown great than shopping.

Downtown MPLS offers everything that one would expect from a "major" downtown area, including nightlife and dining options, food trucks, farmers markets, public plazas, green space, and local shops / boutiques.

Where it does differ than the majority of downtown areas
- size (office space, workforce and residential population)
- transportation options (bus, light rail, commuter rail, dedicated bike lanes)
- professional stadiums (all professional stadiums are downtown and connected via light rail)
- a mix of retail (national and local)

Quote:
It's kind of clear from the description that while Minneapolis might be safe, livable, and nice, it isn't all that unique and is in fact kind of generic, similar to Denver. I don't think there are that many people moving there *for* the city and lifestyle it provides like people do with San Francisco or New York, or even small places like New Orleans and Portland. It's more in the category of cities like Dallas, Denver, Charlotte etc. Jobs first and we hope we can get some big name chains to come in.
I was just in uptown Charlotte a couple months ago and it really doesn't come close to downtown Minneapolis, but yeah, I get what you are saying.

Last edited by YIMBY; 12-04-2013 at 10:33 AM..

Old 12-04-2013, 10:28 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,420,781 times
Quote:
Quite common? By common are you saying 10, 20 30, or more downtown areas have a local full-service grocer or national grocer such as Whole Foods?
Yes, definitely.

Just to illustrate, Detroit has a downtown Whole Foods.

Newark has a downtown Whole Foods, and it's a urban-style, no parking, retail base of major building format.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Yes, definitely.

Just to illustrate, Detroit has a downtown Whole Foods.

Newark has a downtown Whole Foods, and it's a urban-style, no parking, retail base of major building format.
That's two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City