Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which middle Midwest metro is best: Kansas City, Saint Louis, Omaha, Indianapolis
Kansas City MO 59 29.80%
Saint Louis MO 90 45.45%
Omaha NE 19 9.60%
Indianapolis IN 30 15.15%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 09:25 AM

934 posts, read 1,440,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Interesting. They don't like being associated with Kansas City? State-wise they are Kansans, right? All suburbanites owe their neigborhoods' existence TO the existence of the city center- it's growth created the suburbs. So is it that they somehow think they should be seen indepenently of Kansas City, as if they are solely responsible for their own existence/growth or is it that they are ashamed of being Kansans? This is a really curious thing.
Kansans don't hate Kansas City. The truth is many, many of us go to downtown to enjoy all the Plaza, Power & Light, and even work just like Missourians work in JOCO and visit the Legends and KC Speedway. What Kansans hate is when Missourians dismiss us as "unsophisticated" religious hicks, and say things like Kansas City shouldn't be called Kansas City (as if Missouri City would add class...). Same goes with Missourians that hate being looked down on by Johnson County as trashy (I actually grew up a few counties away from KCMO, so this feud is kind of funny to me). I imagine the name comes from the fact that KCMO lies on the Kansas River, and was home to the native Kaw or Kansa tribe. I like the name. When I travel abroad people seem to know the name Kansas from Oz (or even Smallville as some girl in Thailand pointed out to me..). It seems to be famous for not being famous...

People seem to be exaggerating the tension between KCK and KCMO. The two seem to get along fine. Though KU vs Mizzou fights can get nasty...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 10:32 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
Kansans don't hate Kansas City. The truth is many, many of us go to downtown to enjoy all the Plaza, Power & Light, and even work just like Missourians work in JOCO and visit the Legends and KC Speedway. What Kansans hate is when Missourians dismiss us as "unsophisticated" religious hicks, and say things like Kansas City shouldn't be called Kansas City (as if Missouri City would add class...). Same goes with Missourians that hate being looked down on by Johnson County as trashy (I actually grew up a few counties away from KCMO, so this feud is kind of funny to me). I imagine the name comes from the fact that KCMO lies on the Kansas River, and was home to the native Kaw or Kansa tribe. I like the name. When I travel abroad people seem to know the name Kansas from Oz (or even Smallville as some girl in Thailand pointed out to me..). It seems to be famous for not being famous...

People seem to be exaggerating the tension between KCK and KCMO. The two seem to get along fine. Though KU vs Mizzou fights can get nasty...
Thank goodness Indianapolis isnt divided like that helps bring the community together to get stuff done.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:38 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:

KCK and KCMO get along fine. It's JoCo and KCMO that have issues. And I know that many in JoCo support and don't hate on KCMO. That was not what I was saying. I think MantaRay summed it up nicely. Many in JoCo claim to be from KC, but they are also from Kansas and Kansas often takes priority over KC. Even on forums like this, you are much more likely to see people from the KS side of metro KC claim Kansas or Overland Park as their home than somebody from the MO side claiming Missouri or Lee's Summit. MO side people tend to claim the city first then the state. It's not that they hate kcmo, it's just that they are culturally tied more to Kansas than to the city of KCMO, even though they are in the metro. Again, difficult to explain. Very few people in metro KC hate the other side of the city. I don't hate Kansans. I hate Kansas leadership. Most of the friction in KC is normal suburb vs city friction you see everywhere or the mostly fun KU/MU rivalry. It's the county and state level politics that really create all the resentment via lack of regional cooperation, business poaching etc as well as a few people with a lot of influence in the press like Steve Rose. And while KS side residents don’t like to be called residents of KCK, I think most are okay and many even prefer to be associated with KCMO. They won’t be insulted by it anyway.

It would be like if people from the nicer suburbs of Metro East in StLouis were labeled as residents of East St Louis. I doubt they like that. Same with KCK. It’s not a terrible place, but JoCo residents don’t want that potential image of where they live.

I have personally met with many high level leaders of KCMO like mayors, city managers and council members. Trust me, most of them do not like JoCo at all and they will quickly tell you that off the record. It’s not because they don’t like the residents, it’s how the KS side leadership interacts with MO side leadership and how that leadership helps keep the metro divided and residents will often follow that leadership and just assume they are right and KCMO is nothing but the corrupt, crime ridden hole that their KS side leaders make them out to be.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:50 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I think Indy is in the same boat and you don't even have to deal with the Kansas stereotypes and confusion.
No, but people in Indianapolis have to deal their own stereotypes and confusion. You know, that there's no culture...the terrain has absolutely no elevation and there's only two trees in the entire city...it's boring (in spite of the fact that it has the exact same amenities any city of 2 million would have)...it's the size of Evansville, IN and is located where Evansville, IN is...a massive suburb with no core neighborhoods...etc, etc, etc...

Also, it's equally annoying when people try to conflate Indianapolis and Indiana as if they're the exact same thing...people saying they're visiting "downtown Indiana" and going to the "Indiana super bowl"--seriously. It's Indianapolis's super bowl, not Indiana's. I read some of those articles in the New York Times and you would not believe the smugness and condescension.

I would even go so far as to say that a city like Indianapolis suffers more from stereotypes than does Omaha, KC, or St. Louis does.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Not a genius by far, but I do think I understand where you're coming from.

Overland Park residents, because of their connection with Kansas, ie. being Kansas state residents, distance themselves from KCMO because KCMO is in MO and they just can't see embracing MO so openly. At the same time, whereas they might othewise associate with KCK because it's in Kansas, they actually don't because KCK is so industrial-stepchild-y and not anything to boast about and take pride in, that they'd just as soon not be associated with it either out of a sort of quasi-embarrassment. So they'd prefer not to be associated with either.

At least I think that's what you were saying. Seems like identity crisis on steroids.

Why the difference? The frequency of MLB games vs. NFL games?
Stadium footprint is much smaller, footprint of parking demand is much much smaller and baseball stadiums are used 80plus times a year vs 8-10 for NFL.

When you have an NFL game downtown here are some of the problems with it:

60-80 thousand people flooding the downtown core is enough people to fill half of the parking in many downtown areas. Therefore anybody that is not going to an NFL game will avoid downtown like the plague on game days. So the few places that might be open downtown on a Sunday will get hammered before and after games, but be dead during. They might be busier those days overall, but just a hand full of dates will not create any demand other that what is already there without a game.

The parking demand itself is a problem. Because parking lots can make so much money off those 10-12 dates, surface lots near huge stadiums are very valuable and stay surface lots, even though they are only used on ten days, mostly Sundays. Terrible for the urban fabric of a city.

Baseball stadiums can have a similar negative impact, but their smaller footprints, smaller crowds and 80 plus dates makes up for it by producing consistent manageable crowds. Even so, baseball stadiums will generate more parking lots than condo towers in their immediate areas unless cities step in and force development around them.

But like you said, there are exceptions like Nashville or Chicago and some others where you can put the stadium very close to downtown without messing up the vibrancy and fabric of the city.

The bottom line is that stadiums are awesome to have downtown, but they are not the economic generators people often think and many times do more harm than good. Look at the areas around many stadiums. Houston, St Louis etc. Not much going on. Some of the deadest parts of the downtowns. Now you can put them near a existing vibrant area like Inner harbor in Baltimore, Gaslight in San Diego, LoDo in Denver and they will add to that vibrancy, but the areas around the stadium even in those cities is a dead zone. Nobody wants to live across the street from something that generates traffic gridlock and parking nightmares 80 times a year. There are drawbacks to stadiums.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
No, but people in Indianapolis have to deal their own stereotypes and confusion. You know, that there's no culture...the terrain has absolutely no elevation and there's only two trees in the entire city...it's boring (in spite of the fact that it has the exact same amenities any city of 2 million would have)...it's the size of Evansville, IN and is located where Evansville, IN is...a massive suburb with no core neighborhoods...etc, etc, etc...

Also, it's equally annoying when people try to conflate Indianapolis and Indiana as if they're the exact same thing...people saying they're visiting "downtown Indiana" and going to the "Indiana super bowl"--seriously. It's Indianapolis's super bowl, not Indiana's. I read some of those articles in the New York Times and you would not believe the smugness and condescension.

I would even go so far as to say that a city like Indianapolis suffers more from stereotypes than does Omaha, KC, or St. Louis does.
Downtown Indiana? Never heard that, but I sure do believe it because I hear downtown Kansas all the time (and it's not even the right state haha). I completely feel for you though.

I think there might have been some condensention (that a word?) about Indy before the superbowl, but it seems like everybody that went really enjoyed it and it looked great on TV.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Downtown Indiana? Never heard that, but I sure do believe it because I hear downtown Kansas all the time (and it's not even the right state haha). I completely feel for you though.
Downtown Kansas, lol. Apparently, people think entire states have downtowns.

Anyone have any pictures of Downtown Michigan or Downtown California they'd like to share?

Old 06-03-2012, 11:39 AM

934 posts, read 1,440,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post

Nail on the head!!! I can't explain it either, but Indy seems to have to "overcome" more than most cities its size--as reflected in the polls of this thread also in the amount of degrading nicknames Naptown, Indianoplace... I can't explain it. I wonder if Indy still struggles to overcome the image it had decades ago. Kansas City, while sometimes dismissed as well, never seems to catch the amount of flak that Indy does. And I should know. I'm from Kansas. No matter where I go people act as though I'm stepping off the praire. "Wow, you must be so glad to be away from Kansas." --But gee it has gotten so exciting now that we discovered fire...

And somebody ask me how Dorothy is...come on... you know you want to.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Nail on the head!!! I can't explain it either, but Indy seems to have to "overcome" more than most cities its size--as reflected in the polls of this thread also in the amount of degrading nicknames Naptown, Indianoplace... I can't explain it. I wonder if Indy still struggles to overcome the image it had decades ago. Kansas City, while sometimes dismissed as well, never seems to catch the amount of flak that Indy does. And I should know. I'm from Kansas. No matter where I go people act as though I'm stepping off the praire. "Wow, you must be so glad to be away from Kansas." --But gee it has gotten so exciting now that we discovered fire...

And somebody ask me how Dorothy is...come on... you know you want to.
I'll rep this post when C-D lets me rep you again.

I like mid-sized cities like Indianapolis, Cleveland, and Kansas City because they give you the big city feel without being overwhelming, like New York or Los Angeles.

That's why I stand up for these places, because you're right--people do tend to hate certain cities on this forum. Which is absurd to me, because we're on a forum discussing cities and you'd think people would be more open to learning about cities and perhaps visiting new ones instead of spending so much effort bashing these places.

Having said that, I do not feel that neither city is better than the other--and certainly not light years better as someone implied earlier. And while St. Louis is more established, I could see how someone could prefer either Indy or KC over that city.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:04 PM

I don't know if someone mentioned this earlier, but another benefit is that there are many other cities nearby within a short drive. In 4 hours or less, you can be in Detroit, Columbus, Cincinnati, Louisville, and Chicago from Indy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City