Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which middle Midwest metro is best: Kansas City, Saint Louis, Omaha, Indianapolis
Kansas City MO 59 29.80%
Saint Louis MO 90 45.45%
Omaha NE 19 9.60%
Indianapolis IN 30 15.15%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 09:56 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,152,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
you've got to be kidding. washington university in st. louis is far, far, far, far, far superior to any college or university in either indiana or kansas. go do some rudimentary research, my friend. you just sound ridiculous.
Washington University? LOL. Get out of here with that. That school is hardly known. It might as well be invisible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 10:11 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,900,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Washington University? LOL. Get out of here with that. That school is hardly known. It might as well be invisible.
Pretty much true. But it is a good school although expensive. StLouis does have a great urban university scene.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:18 PM

976 posts, read 2,244,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
perhaps hardly known by ignorant midwesterners, but the school is held in extremely high regard on the east coast. almost 1/3 of the students are from the new york city area. and even if it's "hardly known" by mainstream "state schoolers" it's still much, much, much, much, much, much, much more prestigious than any university in indiana or kansas. that is the cold hard truth.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:52 PM

934 posts, read 1,442,510 times
Quote:
perhaps hardly known by ignorant midwesterners, but the school is held in extremely high regard on the east coast. almost 1/3 of the students are from the new york city area. and even if it's "hardly known" by mainstream "state schoolers" it's still much, much, much, much, much, much, much more prestigious than any university in indiana or kansas. that is the cold hard truth.
And this makes it better? Because a few New Yorkers are willing to live in the "boonies" for an education? Well, I guess if east coasters say it's good, then who are we "ignorant midwesterners" to argue? Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska have great schools. And Indiana is no slacker with prestigious schools like IU, Purdue and Notre Dame.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:55 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,152,775 times
Quote:
How can a school be prestigious if hardly anybody knows of its existence?

Old 07-29-2012, 10:59 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,992,402 times
Stop it, you're killing me, so a school is remarkable if people from NYC attend it? LOL this forum is such an eastcoast brainwashed joke. Where art thou NuYawkahs to bid thy blessings on the chosen one of these 4 midwestern cities?

Just so we're clear I know Wash U is a good school but the NYC comment is just to hilarious to pass!! Thanks for the laugh kid

Old 07-29-2012, 11:22 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,013,955 times
Quote:
Almost every school east of the Mississippi has a very high percentage of kids from the Metro NYC area...

Old 07-30-2012, 04:58 AM

45 posts, read 69,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
Granted I have more experience with KC than I do with Indy and STL combined. I just think KC has a more interesting unique fabric than Indy.

The Plaza, Westport, City Market, Crossroads, Crown Center. The Jazz, the Bar-B-Q, the beer. KC has got a great vibe. I think it has a better sense of place than Indy.

And Indy guys, not of that Indy sucks or anything. I love the monuments, the bike trails, the sports arenas. I suppose if I spent as much time in Indy as I do in KC I may have different opinions, but the odds of that happening are pretty low.
I'd say your lack of Indy experience is showing a bit here, especially with the beer comment. KC doesn't come close to having the craft beer scene that Indy has right now. Indy punches way above it's weight in that category, beating out many other cities in the midwest including KC.

And I'll never understand the fixation with the Plaza that some have. It's like an old version of the International Village in Epcot. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's not Disney-esque. And today it's little more than a suburban mall in the city, full of chains and very few unique retailers and restaurants.

It's nice to see that you think Indy is nothing but monuments, bike trails and stadiums...maybe spend some time here before weighing in again?

Old 07-30-2012, 06:02 AM

say what you want. if washington university were not well known or highly regarded, it would not rank #14 nationally, wedged between johns hopkins and brown university, and above such a schools as cornell, notre dame, emory, georgetown, nyu and boston u. purdue ranks a distant #62, far below a number of midwestern universities. wash. u. also ranks as the 6th best medical school in the country, ahead of yale, columbia, and u. of chicago.

so apparently there are some people who know about wash. u. that you may not is just a reflection of your own ignorance. washington university is one of the top 3 schools in the midwest, right up there with u. of chicago and essentially tied with northwestern. purdue and u. of i are at least a tier below.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Stop it, you're killing me, so a school is remarkable if people from NYC attend it? LOL this forum is such an eastcoast brainwashed joke. Where art thou NuYawkahs to bid thy blessings on the chosen one of these 4 midwestern cities?

Just so we're clear I know Wash U is a good school but the NYC comment is just to hilarious to pass!! Thanks for the laugh kid
that was not my point. i only said that in response to whoever said, "nobody knows about wash. u." well apparently plenty of people do know about wash. u. it had nothing to do with new yorkers "giving their blessing," it was to illustrate the point that it is a sought-after school to those well outside the midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City