Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which middle Midwest metro is best: Kansas City, Saint Louis, Omaha, Indianapolis
Kansas City MO 59 29.80%
Saint Louis MO 90 45.45%
Omaha NE 19 9.60%
Indianapolis IN 30 15.15%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 08:35 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,355 times

Advertisements

Honestly, there is nothing special about either of the cities. I'm picking Indianapolis by default.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 08:40 PM

976 posts, read 2,241,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Honestly, there is nothing special about either of the cities. I'm picking Indianapolis by default.
lol!

Old 07-28-2012, 09:02 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
Still think it's St Louis, KC, then a bit down the list, Indy.......then way down the list is Omaha. (I love Omaha, it's a great city, just too small to compare to the other three very well).

Love Indy's downtown recreational trails, bike lanes, canal river walks etc. If just looking at Downtown business districts, I think it's a tie with KC and Indy (KC pulls away if you include Crown Center). StL has an okay downtown, but I actually think Omaha has a better CBD than StL.

StL needs to get their downtown in better shape. They are proof that stadia alone are not enough to get a downtown truly vibrant. But the rest of the city and metro makes up for it. If StL had an amazing downtown, it would be much more above KC than I think it is now.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:08 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,188,398 times
Kcmo has it right IMO.

I as well see it Stl.KC..Indy....Omaha. With KC being closer to STL than Indy is to KC. Omaha being a good ways behind Indy. The other 3 can at least be argued one way or the other on certain things, Omaha really can't hang. We have got some nice things, things that KC seems to out do a few years after we finish ours! Sprint Center>CenturyLink Center, Kauffman Performing Arts Center>Holland Performing Arts Center. Probably just a matter of time before KC outdoes our Riverfront progress as well. Looks like KC is beating us to the punch on Streetcars though as well as KC getting Google Fiber, KC could see a big Tech boom in the coming years.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:54 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,431 times
I just don't see how KC can be considered so close to St Louis. If you're going to argue that KC is better than Indy, and that's a HUGE if, then the list should go Stl....KC.Indy....Omaha. Really though, it's more like: Stl..KC/Indy....Omaha.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:22 AM

886 posts, read 1,563,073 times
Definitely St. Louis. I like big cities and St. Louis is the closest to the big leagues and I admire it's history, architecture, COL, infrastructure, sports, and everything else about it. I also think its the best city in the Midwest after Chicago but I haven't ever been to Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee, or Minneapolis before.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:13 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,185 times
Omaha, what its not a major metro, theres minneapolis, cincinnati, cleveland, columbus, milkwaukke,detroit, and heck even grand rapids, michigan would be a better choice then omaha.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:04 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,188,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I just don't see how KC can be considered so close to St Louis. If you're going to argue that KC is better than Indy, and that's a HUGE if, then the list should go Stl....KC.Indy....Omaha. Really though, it's more like: Stl..KC/Indy....Omaha.
Granted I have more experience with KC than I do with Indy and STL combined. I just think KC has a more interesting unique fabric than Indy.

The Plaza, Westport, City Market, Crossroads, Crown Center. The Jazz, the Bar-B-Q, the beer. KC has got a great vibe. I think it has a better sense of place than Indy.

And Indy guys, not of that Indy sucks or anything. I love the monuments, the bike trails, the sports arenas. I suppose if I spent as much time in Indy as I do in KC I may have different opinions, but the odds of that happening are pretty low.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:47 PM

934 posts, read 1,440,283 times
I went with Indy. As a student, Indiana has better colleges (Missouri & Nebraska can't top IU & Purdue); the city is affordable, and the location is good. IMO, the best downtown on the list. Despite what some think, it does have a historic quality about it.

http://images.indianahistory.org/cgi...B=1&DMROTATE=0

Last edited by JMT; 07-30-2012 at 05:53 AM..

Old 07-29-2012, 09:43 PM

976 posts, read 2,241,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
I went with Indy. As a student, Indiana has better colleges (Missouri & Nebraska can't top IU & Purdue); the city is affordable, and the location is good. IMO, the best downtown on the list. Despite what some think, it does have a historic quality about it.

http://images.indianahistory.org/cgi...B=1&DMROTATE=0
you've got to be kidding. washington university in st. louis is far, far, far, far, far superior to any college or university in either indiana or kansas. go do some rudimentary research, my friend. you just sound ridiculous.

Last edited by JMT; 07-30-2012 at 05:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City