Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which middle Midwest metro is best: Kansas City, Saint Louis, Omaha, Indianapolis
Kansas City MO 59 29.80%
Saint Louis MO 90 45.45%
Omaha NE 19 9.60%
Indianapolis IN 30 15.15%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 04:22 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,518,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
LA? Are you kidding? If I were wealthy, I think I would be willing to pay the extra cost to live near the ocean and have the nice weather; and put up with the earthquake risk.
do me a favor.
quiz people that live in LA.
How many of those people actually have the time to visit the ocean?
2nd theres other cities to target too.
San Francisco/Chicago/New York/Anywhere on the east coast for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 04:41 PM

8,982 posts, read 17,305,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
do me a favor.
quiz people that live in LA.
How many of those people actually have the time to visit the ocean?
2nd theres other cities to target too.
San Francisco/Chicago/New York/Anywhere on the east coast for that matter.
I have a lot of friends in Chicago. They visit Lake Michigan frequently in the summer.

The VP on my company is from LA, and lives in St. Pete. He goes to the beaches so often, he gives visitors a list on which beaches to visit and which ones to avoid. If you ever visit southern California and want to know a hidden beach, he's the guy to talk to.

As a kid, I lived 3 blocks from Lake Erie. I swam in the lake a few nights a week in the warm months, that is just what we did for fun.

Look, Indianapolis is a wonderful place to live. I live here for a reason. Pretending Indianapolis is LA is embarrassingly dishonest.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:28 AM

886 posts, read 1,565,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
The Illusive Man clearly thinks he's the consummate authority on this-- what a joke! Go back and read the posts- the only reason we're talking about Wash. U is because because thefallensvnge said that Missouri schools can't compete with Indiana! Clearly he is wrong, and we were just setting the record straight. Hardly "crowing" about it.
Don't worry about it. I've been to St. Louis a few times and normally I never go out of my way to stick up for the smaller cities but this one is just very impressive to me. I'm a big city type of person and like metros a minimum of 5 million but St. Louis is the closest thing to a big city without having the population for it. Some of the building style is very similar to Baltimore, Philly, even some parts of Brooklyn.

The great colleges, affordable real estate, surpringly hilly landscape, architecture, history, sports teams (Cardinals), and great offerings easily make it one of the best cities in the country.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:07 AM

976 posts, read 2,244,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
Don't worry about it. I've been to St. Louis a few times and normally I never go out of my way to stick up for the smaller cities but this one is just very impressive to me. I'm a big city type of person and like metros a minimum of 5 million but St. Louis is the closest thing to a big city without having the population for it. Some of the building style is very similar to Baltimore, Philly, even some parts of Brooklyn.

The great colleges, affordable real estate, surpringly hilly landscape, architecture, history, sports teams (Cardinals), and great offerings easily make it one of the best cities in the country.
st. louis was the 4th biggest city in the country 100 years ago.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:02 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,097,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
say what you want. if washington university were not well known or highly regarded, it would not rank #14 nationally, wedged between johns hopkins and brown university, and above such a schools as cornell, notre dame, emory, georgetown, nyu and boston u. purdue ranks a distant #62, far below a number of midwestern universities. wash. u. also ranks as the 6th best medical school in the country, ahead of yale, columbia, and u. of chicago.

so apparently there are some people who know about wash. u. that you may not is just a reflection of your own ignorance. washington university is one of the top 3 schools in the midwest, right up there with u. of chicago and essentially tied with northwestern. purdue and u. of i are at least a tier below.
To be fair, university rankings can vary widely, and the source you cited has been known to be a bit dubious. Consider:

|ARWU 2010

Or even:

Top 400 - The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2011-2012

There's no doubting that Washington is one of the top universities in the Midwest. But I hardly think that it is the sort of "undisputed Harvard of the Midwest" that you think it is. Perhaps your judgment is a bit clouded, having attended? Or....?

Old 08-07-2012, 03:19 PM

976 posts, read 2,244,777 times
^thank you for those sources, although they rank the best universities in the world. take out the schools overseas and wash. u. bumps up the list dramatically. i never called it the "harvard of the midwest" although some do. i would place washington university behind u. of chicago and essentially tied with northwestern or only slightly behind. but it's still very solidly ahead of other midwestern universities, and i'm not sure most informed people would disagree.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:47 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,518,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I have a lot of friends in Chicago. They visit Lake Michigan frequently in the summer.

The VP on my company is from LA, and lives in St. Pete. He goes to the beaches so often, he gives visitors a list on which beaches to visit and which ones to avoid. If you ever visit southern California and want to know a hidden beach, he's the guy to talk to.

As a kid, I lived 3 blocks from Lake Erie. I swam in the lake a few nights a week in the warm months, that is just what we did for fun.

Look, Indianapolis is a wonderful place to live. I live here for a reason. Pretending Indianapolis is LA is embarrassingly dishonest.
not pretending Indy is LA so i have no idea why your jumping to that conclusion.
2nd not everyone in LA is happy there.
#3 not everyone in LA goes to the ocean.
some people and this isnt just an LA thing. goes for NYC too and many other cities. People dont have the time to go to all the amendities in their city. especially if they have a family.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:37 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,154,243 times
Quote:
^thank you for those sources, although they rank the best universities in the world. take out the schools overseas and wash. u. bumps up the list dramatically. i never called it the "harvard of the midwest" although some do. i would place washington university behind u. of chicago and essentially tied with northwestern or only slightly behind. but it's still very solidly ahead of other midwestern universities, and i'm not sure most informed people would disagree.
Very few people will dispute washu other than the price tag. Very good from top to bottom. It lacks the endowment sizes of the b10 schools but that is to be expected due to size. Its curriculum is pretty good across all majors and doesnt have the uber class sizes which is always a plus.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:37 PM

8,982 posts, read 17,305,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
not pretending Indy is LA so i have no idea why your jumping to that conclusion.
2nd not everyone in LA is happy there.
#3 not everyone in LA goes to the ocean.
some people and this isnt just an LA thing. goes for NYC too and many other cities. People dont have the time to go to all the amendities in their city. especially if they have a family.
Not everyone is happy in Indianapolis, and there are people in Indianapolis that have never been to the Children's museum or the Canal. What's your point?

Old 08-07-2012, 08:04 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,097,750 times
Quote:
Yeah, I know its global-- at least one of those sources shows the national rankings in the next column, though. The other I guess you can just count the US schools.

My point wasn't that I thought Washington was ranked incorrectly. I thought Washington's ranking was pretty fair. But then you look at the field below it. No way should a few of the big Big Ten research institutions be ranked as low as they were-- Madison, U of M Twin Cities, and U of I Champagne-Urbana, specifically (not necessarily in that order, though I think Madison might be the cream of that crop....)

And no, I'm not suggesting that any of those institutions outrank Washington, because I don't think they do. But they're three of the better (public) research institutions in the country-- no way should they be checking in in the 60's. They should all three be at least top 40, probably top 30...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City