Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which middle Midwest metro is best: Kansas City, Saint Louis, Omaha, Indianapolis
Kansas City MO 59 29.80%
Saint Louis MO 90 45.45%
Omaha NE 19 9.60%
Indianapolis IN 30 15.15%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 06:33 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Is there a particular reason why these four metros were chosen? There are others to consider as well including Milwaukee, Detroit, Columbus, Cleveland & Cincinnati. There are even more if one considers more metros under 1 million besides Omaha.
If these cities were added, I would choose Columbus; I love that city. As it stands, St Louis, especially if Clayton allows me in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 07:16 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,653,945 times
Your unwillingness to acknowledge Washington University's prestige and national standing just makes you sound like a bunch of townies.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:51 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas46032 View Post
I'd say your lack of Indy experience is showing a bit here, especially with the beer comment. KC doesn't come close to having the craft beer scene that Indy has right now. Indy punches way above it's weight in that category, beating out many other cities in the midwest including KC.

And I'll never understand the fixation with the Plaza that some have. It's like an old version of the International Village in Epcot. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's not Disney-esque. And today it's little more than a suburban mall in the city, full of chains and very few unique retailers and restaurants.
I don't have a clue what Indy has a far as beer, maybe they do punch above KC. But KC does have Boulevard Brewing Company, which is one of the largest craft breweries in the country and very much a part of KC's culture.

And as far as the plaza being nothing but a mall? You have got to be kidding me. Sure, it's modeled after Seville, Spain (KCMO's sister city) and some of the newer developments there have begun to get a bit "disney-eque", but the original structures, fountains, artwork etc really don't have that feel and never did. Also, the plaza is more than a mall. It's a large mixed use urban neighborhood with dozens of residential towers, corporate headquarters, museums, the river walk etc.

It's one of the better examples of urban mixed use districts in the midwest, if not the country and anybody with an urban planning background or education would know that it's very much a respected development in the urban planning community and is still a roll model today when people "try" to duplicate it.

The Plaza is one of the reasons KC feels more urban and "big city" than Indy. When you look at the big picture, KC and Indy are pretty much equal and peers when compared to all the other cities in the country, but when you drill down, KC comes out on top IMO. But both cities offer a lot and both cities offer things the other does not. KC is just a more established urban center with a much more comprehensive urban core than Indy (while Indy does have a nice downtown) and I still think the metro as a whole has more attractions and more to do than Indy (while Indy is closer to more major metros). We have been through this a zillion times though, so it's obvious you disagree and that's fine.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:27 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I don't have a clue what Indy has a far as beer, maybe they do punch above KC. But KC does have Boulevard Brewing Company, which is one of the largest craft breweries in the country and very much a part of KC's culture.
Here's the problem. Too many people are saying one place is better than the other; but the majority of folks don't know what they are even talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
The Plaza is one of the reasons KC feels more urban and "big city" than Indy. When you look at the big picture, KC and Indy are pretty much equal and peers when compared to all the other cities in the country, but when you drill down, KC comes out on top IMO. But both cities offer a lot and both cities offer things the other does not. KC is just a more established urban center with a much more comprehensive urban core than Indy (while Indy does have a nice downtown) and I still think the metro as a whole has more attractions and more to do than Indy (while Indy is closer to more major metros). We have been through this a zillion times though, so it's obvious you disagree and that's fine.
The way KCMO feels is subjective. I've found Indy and KCMO to be pretty similar in their feel; I don't think I would call either one "better" than the other. They both do some things well, and other things not so much.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:48 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,163,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas46032 View Post

And I'll never understand the fixation with the Plaza that some have. It's like an old version of the International Village in Epcot. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's not Disney-esque. And today it's little more than a suburban mall in the city...
Just for the sake of injecting a little fact in to the bloviating: the Plaza is denser, more walkable, has more streetlife and is better served by transit than anywhere in Indianapolis. I guess I'm not sure what makes it disney-esque, I've never ridden an amusement park ride there or seen anybody dressed up as a cartoon mouse, but its your analogy, man.

And yes, being half a century older than Disneyworld is a pretty strong argument that a place is not disney-esque.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:14 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
I went with Indy. As a student, Indiana has better colleges (Missouri & Nebraska can't top IU & Purdue); the city is affordable, and the location is good. IMO, the best downtown on the list. Despite what some think, it does have a historic quality about it.
Aside from the fact that you didn't even name the best college in Indiana, which also can't compete with Wash U, you're joking right? Or do you just care about public schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
you've got to be kidding. washington university in st. louis is far, far, far, far, far superior to any college or university in either indiana or kansas. go do some rudimentary research, my friend. you just sound ridiculous.
+1, and seriously, these aren't even remotely close to the same league...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Washington University? LOL. Get out of here with that. That school is hardly known. It might as well be invisible.
Hardly known...hmmm... It may not have the everyone knows name of Harvard, but everyone in higher education is very much aware of one of the best schools in the nation, as well as one of the best hospitals in the nation which pulls professionals world wide. Then again, I'm not sure why I responded to you based on your past post history...

Old 07-30-2012, 01:42 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,653,945 times
The Illusive Man clearly thinks he's the consummate authority on this-- what a joke! Go back and read the posts- the only reason we're talking about Wash. U is because because thefallensvnge said that Missouri schools can't compete with Indiana! Clearly he is wrong, and we were just setting the record straight. Hardly "crowing" about it.

Last edited by STLgasm; 07-30-2012 at 02:04 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 01:58 PM

976 posts, read 2,241,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Belive me, Wash U may be ranked high, but it might as well be invisible. It looks so out of place with the other school on the list. Sure, its probably a solid school, but hardly anybody knows about it or cares about it. It's hardly anyones top destination unless you live in the area. Who knows where it even is? People can easily confuse it with the University of Washington.

It's a cute little school I'm sure, but that's about it really.
it's people like you who give the midwest its reputation of being ignorant. i am from philadelphia and came to st. louis to attend wash. u. i can say with authority (which you are really not qualified to do) that wash. u. is incredibly well known on the east coast, extremely highly regarded, and everyone who i have associated with is well aware of its location in st. louis. so your theory flies out the window there. ambitious students and those who wish to achieve a high merit academic career know washington university in st. louis. you obviously don't fall into that category. considering 80% of the students at wash. u. are from outside the midwest (a very high percentage of whom are from foreign countries), i'd say it actually is a very big destination school for people outside the area. so there goes your meaningless opinion about that as well. yes, a lot of people choose wash. u. because it is a first class institution, and far better than most universities in the midwest, let alone any in the state of indiana.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:17 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
it's people like you who give the midwest its reputation of being ignorant. i am from philadelphia and came to st. louis to attend wash. u. i can say with authority (which you are really not qualified to do) that wash. u. is incredibly well known on the east coast, extremely highly regarded, and everyone who i have associated with is well aware of its location in st. louis. so your theory flies out the window there. ambitious students and those who wish to achieve a high merit academic career know washington university in st. louis. you obviously don't fall into that category. considering 80% of the students at wash. u. are from outside the midwest (a very high percentage of whom are from foreign countries), i'd say it actually is a very big destination school for people outside the area. so there goes your meaningless opinion about that as well. yes, a lot of people choose wash. u. because it is a first class institution, and far better than most universities in the midwest, let alone any in the state of indiana.
Yeah, for what it's worth, Wash U, U Chicago and Northwestern are probably the most consistently highly-regarded universities in the Midwest. The Midwest has some pretty great state schools, too, but those three schools (and perhaps Oberlin and the University of Michigan?) are commonly regarded as part of the upper echelon of higher education in the U.S.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:29 PM

59 posts, read 119,132 times
Really! Gotta be all kind's of high to think Indy compares to the history behind STL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City