Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is more influenced by Mexicans and other Hispanics?
California 81 38.76%
Texas 128 61.24%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 03:08 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,642,248 times

Advertisements

I get the impression that JeffSanDimas is the kind of guy that tells racist jokes to his friends, ignorant of the fact they belong to the race he's making fun of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 11:49 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post

Just like a lot of the 2nd and 3rd generation Asians I know, few know much of the language and few know can truly cook as good as their grandparents might have. Some might hang on longer in areas with large enclaves(like is the case with Latino areas), but all the same I've met plenty of 3rd or 4th generation Mexican-Americans from Texas and California who admit they can't speak much Spanish at all this point.
Yeah, definitely agreed. When my East Coast Asian friends (Filipino, Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese, etc.) visit me in LA, they're pretty weirded out by the fact that a huge chunk of Asians here in California are pretty Americanized compared to the Asians in their areas. Of course it's different nowadays because there are more 2nd and 3rd generation Americans now that there were before, but it's becoming noticeable how "mainstream" a lot of us are becoming.

I grew up in the San Fernando Valley here in LA. I was rummaging through my old stuff at my parent's place and found my yearbook from elementary school, (I went to a Magnet School, so the demographics were a bit skewed) and realized how diverse my class was. Keep in mind, this was the mid-late 1990s, when most of us were the children of those who immigrated in the 1980s. If one would believe the trolling that has been stated in the past few pages, you wouldn't believe that a good 30% of my class was Hispanic. Most of them ended up going to really good undergraduate universities, and some ended up going to graduate school (and not for some Humanities or Social Science degree either).

Now that we're all in our mid-20s, most of us aren't defined solely by the ethno-cultural background we came from, but by other interests and what we ended up doing for a living.

That's why whenever I read this whole "sky is falling" stuff online, it really doesn't match what I see in the real world. Then again, I have friends off the internet and talk to people, instead of sitting in my room and stewing in hatred while trolling anonymously on the internet.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:31 AM

658 posts, read 1,335,469 times
NEW Mexico, ever heard of it? It may be in the US, but it really is Mexico in every facet of social and cultural life. Texas and CA not even close by a long shot.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:50 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
NEW Mexico, ever heard of it? It may be in the US, but it really is Mexico in every facet of social and cultural life. Texas and CA not even close by a long shot.
Yeah but this thread is not about New Mexico.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:22 PM

3 posts, read 5,409 times
California. Los Angeles has a huge influence on Chicano culture everywhere and Latinos are a majority in California. They're nowhere close to being a majority in Texas

Old 02-25-2016, 08:28 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa mi popote View Post
California. Los Angeles has a huge influence on Chicano culture everywhere and Latinos are a majority in California. They're nowhere close to being a majority in Texas
What? Latinos are not the majority in California. And what percentage of Texas do you think is Latino?

Old 02-26-2016, 04:30 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
What? Latinos are not the majority in California. And what percentage of Texas do you think is Latino?
Not only that, but there's very little about Tejanos that I see that is influenced by LA.

Totally different vibes.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:04 PM

532 posts, read 821,178 times
Is there a part of California that is comparable to the Rio Grande Valley?

Old 02-26-2016, 01:39 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,470,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Hispanics are actually indeed the biggest ethnic group in California.

Hispanic(not including undocumented immigrants)-38.8 %
White-38.5 %
Asian-14.9%
Black-6.5%

Although they are pretty neck and neck Hispanics, mainly Mexicans, are the number one ethnic group in the sate. Mexican culture is extremely prevalent in LA county, and especially in parts of LA such as East Los Angeles and Westlake.
Los Angeles
Hispanic- 48.5%
White- 28.7%
Asian- 11.3%
Black-9.6%

While Texas has a big Mexican population, it also has a huge "southern" feel to the state that almost overrides the Hispanic cultural feel in the state at large. I definitly think California is number one in this regard.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:59 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
Is there a part of California that is comparable to the Rio Grande Valley?
No.

The closest would be Imperial County in Southern California but it only has 175,000 people. Not really comparable to the 4 county Rio Grande Valley area with 1.35 million people in a uniformly cohesive region. One is an actual population center solely derived of Latino people, whereas the other is a more rural county with a smalltown in Calexico, which is an extension of Mexicali's urban area across the border from it. Imperial County, CA is more comparable to Laredo, TX or Del Rio, TX than the Rio Grande Valley.

In California, Latinos tend to either integrate into the major cities there which have well more than just Latino groups in them or remain in agricultural regions of the Central Valley (agricultural surroundings of Fresno, Stockton, Merced, Modesto, Sacramento, Visalia, so on). California doesn't have major population centers with more than 1 million people like El Paso or Rio Grande Valley that are almost exclusively all Latino. In Texas, Latinos largely only live in population centers, either ones where they integrate in with other groups (whites, blacks, Asians; in the TX Triangle region) or ones they solely have to themselves (I.E. El Paso, Rio Grande Valley, Laredo, Del Rio), not so much the rural areas, which are still mostly just white-black places, especially in East TX.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 02-26-2016 at 02:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City