Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 02:07 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I didn't say the ENTIRE city of Chicago. I already made it clear that I was talking about the inner loop.

I didn't say anything about putting all highrises in Chicago together. Just Houston.
According to the most recent updates:

City of Chicago has 1,208 highrises.
Downtown Chicago has 775 highrises
The 1/2 square mile inner loop has 283 highrises

Houston has 418 highrises.

Downtown Chicago has around 85% more highrises than the city of Houston.

The city of Houston has more highrises than the inner Loop of Chicago (not really physically possible for Chicago to cram more into that area), although that area of Chicago is only a small 1/2 square miles surrounded by hundreds of other highrises. That area would be less than half the size of the Houston downtown looped area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 02:16 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

The city of Houston has more highrises than the inner Loop of Chicago (not really physically possible for Chicago to cram more into that area), although that area of Chicago is only a small 1/2 square miles surrounded by hundreds of other highrises. That area would be less than half the size of the Houston downtown looped area.
And this is precisly why I suggested that it (houston) would be more the size of the Philadelphia; which contains almost metro skyscrpers and comes in a little under 400. I agree the Main skyline of Chicago would dwarf the combined Houston. Chicago is a monster. The spread in current is decieving and actually makes the number of buildings look greater; whne they are compressed it makes a big difference; but visually a cluster of 10 highrises can make the horison look vast; which many poeple love and an aspect of Houston that can make it feel it larger in this regard than it is; smash them to DT and you basically get Philly not DT Chicago. And that was my point

Old 05-03-2012, 02:53 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
300K is the whole city, right?
Again that was also 2004 - it's now 6 years later and Pittsburgh has seem some remarkable job growth....

also don't forget this, the article was written in March of this year and makes the claim:

Quote:
And the city would probably rank even higher if it weren't so small; Pittsburgh ranks sixth in the country in jobs per square mile, behind only Boston, Miami, New York, San Francisco and Washington, D.C.

Your link doesn't back your source of 579K jobs per square mile.....Plus Philadelphia's economy GDP is far too splintered for that to be true...Philadelphia county should have way more than a 78$ bn GDP then.

Quote:
Center City Business District

This excludes the 90K employees in U City BTW

Mostly, Center City's doing great - Philly.com
hmmmmm doesn't definitively exclude U City.....Says "Center City District" nothing about Business District...You know as well as I do many "official" stats surrounding Center City are selective when it comes to including U City or not.

Just like they do with the North and South borders sometimes its South Street some times its Pine...just like the northern border can flux between Girard, Spring Garden, and Vine.

I see nothing conclusive to you're claim that 265K workers are just within the River2River - Vine to Pine Traditional Center City Borders....and we're exactly are you getting 90K "Workers" in U City alone....

Best I could find is that there 150K working DT pittsburgh - that was in the CD pittsburgh forum here in this thread (not sure if this includes Oakland or not, but appears it may

http://www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...gh-2012-a.html

Quote:
BTW I like the Burgh but saying there are more in the DT and Oaklnad than in CC is just FLAT OUT wrong and you know it BB hell your own sources even suppoort it more smoke and mirrors again
Oh brother....

Philadelphia County 78bn$ GDP, you pulled it yourself....

Allegheny County 116$ bn GDP (1-4 Jobs reside in the City of Pittsburgh proven)...Downtown Pittsburgh and Oakland 2nd and 3rd largest CBD's in the state so that mean they're probably the largest economic engines in city of Pittsburgh by a very wide margin, my guess is this where the "1-4 jobs" (using simple logic) are located

It's not a stretch to see where I'm going with this.

So take off $1 bn GDP from the 116 that probably falls outside Allegheny County. Give another $20bn to Allegheny County outside the City of Pittsburgh trust me I'm being generous with that. Still leaves $95bn GDP coming from the City of Pittsburgh (sound like a 1-4 jobs scenario to me) which is more than the entire county of Philadelphia. City vs City.

Again...to show I'm not making this up....
Quote:
And the city would probably rank even higher if it weren't so small; Pittsburgh ranks sixth in the country in jobs per square mile, behind only Boston, Miami, New York, San Francisco and Washington, D.C.
So yes there are more workers per Square Mile between Downtown Pittsburgh and Oakland...And it's growing

Quote:
http://www.essentialpublicradio.org/sites/default/files/story/insert-image/2012-january/2012-01-25/decjobs.gif (broken link)

Job Numbers In Pittsburgh Are Getting Stronger | Essential Public Radio
Again Pittsburgh is a more centralized-core city....Philadelphia is majority sprawl out away from the core, the data you provided backs that up.

what propels Center City to the front is it has Residency factor, Pittsburgh is still emerging on that front, and it has a very large amount of Government jobs. Pittsburgh Metro as a whole lacks Government jobs.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:14 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Some of you are getting way off topic. This thread is not about Philadelphia's GDP vs. Pittsburgh's GDP, nor is it about whether Houston has more skyscrapers than Chicago. If you continue to make off topic posts, this thread will be shut down.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 05-03-2012, 03:23 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
NYC probably has the most and largest outside of the DT
Outside Downtown, Midtown is a very large CBD for New York City; I think it's at least twice the size of Downtown. The biggest in the country.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Boston is unique in that its tallest building is not in the main CBD or the Financial District.

That being said I'm not sure that Kendall and Back Bay are really all that much of separate CBDs, they sort of function as one large center/hub.
Is Back Bay separate from the main part of the CBD? Officially it's not. But they all seem as part of one greater city center area. I can see arguments for both sides.

Kendall feels more separate; I wonder how it compares with Pittsburgh's Oakland or Philadelphia's UCity.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:15 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Is Back Bay separate from the main part of the CBD? Officially it's not. But they all seem as part of one greater city center area. I can see arguments for both sides.

Kendall feels more separate; I wonder how it compares with Pittsburgh's Oakland or Philadelphia's UCity.
I guess I always though of Back Bay being separate, maybe because the Public Garden and Common separate the two.

But if you were to compare it to say, Midtown Manhattan and the Financial District of Manhattan, then I would say Back Bay and the Financial District of Boston are all the same CBD.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:37 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I've provided links to all my sources/claims. Don't know what you're talking about.....My only claim was that Downtown Pittsburgh are the 2nd and 3rd largest Central Business Districts in PA based on Economy and GDP and its a proven fact.....It was the insecure Philly Boosters that got all Butt Sore about it (I don't know why, Center City is still the largest no one debated that), yet they still can't definitely disproves those claims based on the original methodology used.
It's not though... I would say Center City Philly, UCity Philly, King of Prussia/Conshohocken area then Downtown Pittsburgh and Oakland. I'm not downplaying Pittsburgh but you are seriously boosting it and underestimating the sheer size and power of the Philly and its metro area just like everyone else in the state of PA outside of the area does.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:18 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

I thought we dropped this....?

Old 05-04-2012, 08:21 AM

Jersey City has the tallest skyscraper not in the city limits of the principal city of its metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City