Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Los Angeles vs. San Francisco
Los Angeles 132 38.26%
San Francisco 213 61.74%
Voters: 345. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 09:41 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,024,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Secondly, it was donjuan that bashed Chicago immediately following my post. THATS when I started bashing LA.
You have consistently bashed and trash talked about LA lonnnnnggggg before "donjuan" came onto the scene. Don't blame him for your nonsense.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:43 AM

374 posts, read 1,852,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Want to talk about L.A. and Chicago? That's why I put up a Chicago or Los Angeles poll thread.

Did anyone notice that Chicago attracts small-towners who want to "make it" from various states in the Midwest? That's why it's the only major city in the Midwest and one of the largest in North America.
Exactly, and that's why it's so midwest. It is amazing. Last May, when I went back to Chicago, I took the L from O'Hare to the city center. The first stop after O'Hare, when Chicagoans started boarding the train, I thought, "Yep, back in the midwest."

Old 09-20-2007, 09:48 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,024,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
That is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! I have been all over the world...well all over Europe. Europeans are fascinated when I mention I'm from San Francisco. They say "wow" and ask tons of questions! No one ever asks anything about LA. You are gravely mistaken - LA's world image is STRICTLY limited to Hollywood. If LA didn't have Hollywood, it would be nothing.

And, I hear languages from all over the world here too. And, there are flocks of tourists on the Golden Gate Bridge (and on both sides), there are flocks of tourists in Pac Heights, I see them in the Castro.

More people may come to LA, but SF is one of the most beloved cities in the U.S. LA is certainly NOT!
He is correct. LA does have a much larger and more dominant presence in the world than does San Francisco. However, I would agree that SF is more "beloved" as you state.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:03 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
You have consistently bashed and trash talked about LA lonnnnnggggg before "donjuan" came onto the scene. Don't blame him for your nonsense.
Genius, I was referring to this thread.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:21 AM

705 posts, read 3,297,408 times
Quote:
That is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! I have been all over the world...well all over Europe. Europeans are fascinated when I mention I'm from San Francisco. They say "wow" and ask tons of questions! No one ever asks anything about LA. You are gravely mistaken - LA's world image is STRICTLY limited to Hollywood. If LA didn't have Hollywood, it would be nothing.

And, I hear languages from all over the world here too. And, there are flocks of tourists on the Golden Gate Bridge (and on both sides), there are flocks of tourists in Pac Heights, I see them in the Castro.

More people may come to LA, but SF is one of the most beloved cities in the U.S. LA is certainly NOT!
No youre wrong!
I can tell people Im from a small town in the south and they will still ask questions!
People are facinated about learning from other countries!!
when I hear somebody is from a small town in Spain or France I ask a lot of questions too!
SF= golden bridge, nice buildings, alcatraz, and...yeah thats it.
and yes! I did say that everything was closed when I visited and Im not mad! if anything I was mad at the fact that everything was closed. (who knows! maybe it was just the wrong day to go)
LA= Hollywood, Fashion, Cultural image, Alpha city, Beaches, and everything that has to do with television.

(guy, Im not saying that SF doesnt have an image. It is a Beta world city, but everyone knows, and writes! that Los Angeles is California's largest and number one city)

Old 09-20-2007, 01:33 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,497,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
Since when are these excuses?? Im serious! go check their homepage! it looks like anybody could have done it. (It really isnt hard to make a web page)
They are an accredited travel research company!

Old 09-20-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Saying LA is sprawling, smoggy, polluted, and car-cultured is not bashing, IT'S THE TRUTH.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
No youre wrong!
I can tell people Im from a small town in the south and they will still ask questions!
People are facinated about learning from other countries!!
when I hear somebody is from a small town in Spain or France I ask a lot of questions too!
SF= golden bridge, nice buildings, alcatraz, and...yeah thats it.
and yes! I did say that everything was closed when I visited and Im not mad! if anything I was mad at the fact that everything was closed. (who knows! maybe it was just the wrong day to go)
LA= Hollywood, Fashion, Cultural image, Alpha city, Beaches, and everything that has to do with television.

(guy, Im not saying that SF doesnt have an image. It is a Beta world city, but everyone knows, and writes! that Los Angeles is California's largest and number one city)
I'm really not even going to argue with you. I would venture to say a whole hell of a lot of people like SF much more than LA! LA's a great town. I enjoy it very much when I visit, but it isn't the best city in California. Not by a long shot.

Go back through this thread and read the SF quotes I've posted. I would love to see any such quotes you could find on LA. Here's two I particularily like, pertaining to SF and LA:

"We're crazy about this city. First time we came here, we walked the streets all day, all over town and nobody hassled us. People smiled, friendly-like, and we knew we could live here. We'd like to keep our place in Greenwich Village and have an apartment here, God and the Immigration Service willing. Los Angeles? That's just a big parking lot where you buy a hamburger for the trip to San Francisco." - John Lennon (with Yoko, when asked how they are enjoying their visit and if they would consider living in LA)

"Isn't it nice that people who prefer Los Angeles to San Francisco live there?" - Herb Caen

Old 09-20-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Saying LA is sprawling, smoggy, polluted, and car-cultured is not bashing, IT'S THE TRUTH.
I will agree with Future here. LA, in general, is kind of just gross. But I still like it, despite all it's problems. Could never live there - only NYC and SF (the countries two greatest cities) are for me. Maybe Boston.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Who cares if LA doesn't have a dynamic downtown? There's still a whole heck of a lot more to do in LA than Chicago, and LA is a lot more interesting. What is there in Chicago outside of the downtown area? NOTHING! Los Angeles has a lot of great neighborhoods to see (Los Feliz, Hollywood, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Venice Beach, Brentwood, Westwood). Granted Santa Monica, Beverly Hills and West Hollywood are their own cities, they are all surrounded by LA. I'm not the biggest fan of LA but it's a lot more interesting than Chicago.

Although I love downtown San Francisco, I disagree with those who diminish LA because of it's downtown. IMO, there's so much more life to great cities outside of their downtowns, which is why Chicago has so little to offer.
Just like people say there's nothing to do in NYC outside of Midtown and Downtown. It's ridiculous. They only say that because they've never been outside of Times Square to check out all the histrorical landmarks, architectural gems, the REAL life of the city. Chicago has PLENTY to do outside of the city. LA is the same thing... Studio after studio, Blockbuster after Blockbuster, McDonald's after McDonald's... Whoop-dee-****ing-doo. Chain stores and plazas with more parking spaces than cars in the parking lots line LA's streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City