Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer the natural scenery in:
Texas 24 20.00%
Northeastern U.S. 96 80.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 11:34 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,344,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
El Paso

The East Texas Piney Woods

Galveston, Corpus Christi, Port Aransas, and South Padre Island (one of the biggest Spring Break stops in the country)

.... seriously?

Central Texas

Did you NOT see the coverage of Super Bowl XLV?

.....again, SERIOUSLY?

Yeah, it's not like Texas has ANY of that....
I know texas has warm weather. The northeast has more of a variety in weather. Texas is just an oven. And yes lakes. I dont have any personal pictures to post, but if you look up Lake George and Winnapauseake, champlain etc that is gorgeous scenery. Texas does have some beautiful scenary, but it lacks when it compares to the northeast. Before the northeast was developed hundreds of years aho it was green from the atlantic to border of ohio, nothing but beautiful natural vegetation and wildlife. then everything died once ohio started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 12:13 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,344,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I know texas has warm weather. The northeast has more of a variety in weather. Texas is just an oven.
I'm guessing that you meant to say that the northeast has more distinct seasons, which it does. No one can argue that. But your statement of Texas being nothing but an oven is absolutely false. It can and does get cold here, from time to time. Some parts of the state have much colder winters than others.

Come to think of it, if there's any region that has more "variety" when it comes to weather, it's Texas, as it seems that we typically see more weather "events" on a regular basis: rain, supercells, flooding, hail, snow, ice, tornadoes, hurricanes, wind storms, etc.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:17 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,607,508 times
I think the fall foliage alone in New England makes the northeast more beautiful than Texas.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:19 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,863,158 times
Worst ice storm I have ever seen was in Texas. Considering I have lived 46 out of my 48 years in the North, that is saying something. It was during new years 1979 and never before or since have I seen that much ice build-up. Texas does get varied weather, but for the most part it is hotter and drier than most of the Country and it is hotter and drier for sure than the Northeast.

It does have some beautiful areas, more than most people who haven't been there realize I am willing to bet, but the natural scenery overall cannot compare to the Northeast. As for lakes, Texas shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as the Northeast. Texas has 1 natural lake and it shares that with Louisiana, everything else is man made. Don't take that the wrong way, I am not a lake snob that thinks a man made lake isn't a lake... it IS, it just isn't the same as a natural lake. Plus the lakes in the Northeast are mostly clear, and cool; while lakes in TX are mostly cloudy/muddy.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:22 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,263,903 times
I am a native northeastern who lived in Texas for 26 years before returning about 18 months ago. While Texas has some outstanding scenery, for my tastes it can't touch the northeast (and looking at the poll, it appears an overwhelming number of people share my view). One thing I found in Texas was the sheer boredom of so much of the state's topography - be it the the swath from the Golden Trangle to the Hill Country, the Panhandle, the plains around Midland/Odessa, or the coastal plain stretching all the way to Del Rio. And to me, a little Piney Woods goes a long way. I found it all to be so mind-numbing. No place in the northeast contains such vast swaths of ugly nothingness.

I have no doubt there are folks who find Texas to be their heaven on earth (didn't one poster call some stretch of interstate elegant?). As with many threads which invite comparisons of the state, I note the boundless boasting for which Texans are famous has ensued (the saying "Don't mess with Texas" didn't come about without reason). I have little doubt my views won't sit well with a handful of such folks. So be it: Those who disagree are entitled to their views. Just don't expect me to share them.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 06-20-2012 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: correct typo

Old 06-20-2012, 08:44 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
I had to break up my photos as per forum rules. 2nd batch of New England photos:

Old 06-20-2012, 08:49 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,344,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I am a native northeastern who lived in Texas for 26 years before returning about 18 months ago. While Texas has some outstanding scenery, for my tastes it can't touch the northeast (and looking at the poll, it appears an overwhelming number of people share my view). One thing I found in Texas was the sheer boredom of so much of the state's topography - be it the the swath from the Golden Trangle to the Hill Country, the Panhandle, the plains around Midland/Odessa, or the coastal plain stretching all the way to Del Rio. And to me, a little Piney Woods goes a long way. I found it all be so mind-numbing. No place in the northeast contains such vast swaths of ugly nothingness.

I have no doubt there are folks who find Texas to be their heaven on earth (didn't one poster call some stretch of interstate elegant?). As with many threads which invite comparisons of the state, I note the boundless boasting of which Texans are famous has ensued (the saying "Don't mess with Texas" didn't come about without reason). I have little doubt my views won't sit well with a handful of such folks. So be it: Those who disagree are entitled to their views. Just don't expect me to share them.
And no one I've seen has yet to insult those who prefer the northeast, yet here you are with your oblique comments against those who speak highly of Texas, so what does that say about you?

Exactly.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:51 AM

93,411 posts, read 124,052,832 times

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ch&um=1&itbs=1

Photos of Syracuse NY and surrounding area

Seeing those pictures of Austin kind of remind me of the landscape here.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:00 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
more New England:

Old 06-20-2012, 09:42 AM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
A couple of people have shown some nice pictures of forests, swamps and lakes in Texas, particually in East Texas. And its interesting to see fall colors in Texas. But I will point out that if you really like forests, lakes and fall colors, you will love the Northeast.

First off the Northeast is literally covered with forests (even in states and cities where you would least expect it). And if you like the Big Thicket of East Texas, you will also like the Northeast because the Ice Age has left thousands of swamps and marshes. Here is one just 25 miles west of Manhattan in Northern new Jersey Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge | Northeast Region, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service .

Speaking of lakes, Caddo Lake looks beautiful (and biologically interesting) but you are comparing to the Northeast which has thousands of lakes. Many of them are fed by mountain brooks and rivers which are clean and unpolluted, which for example is why NYC does not have to treat much of its water supply.

The Northeast has a abundant water supply, which has led to so much forests and lakes. Its one of our strongpoints. In fact, if I was arguring for Texas on this thread, I would quitely leave out the subject of lakes LOL! Also I would not bring up the subject of rivers and brooks!

And definetely, not for even a moment, ever bring up the subject of Waterfalls!

Niagara Falls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City