Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer the natural scenery in:
Texas 24 20.00%
Northeastern U.S. 96 80.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 10:11 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,954,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
All that may be true about TX having greater climatological extremes, but that doesn't make it "pretty".

I like a lot of things about TX, but "scenic beauty" is not one of them. Don't get me wrong, there are "nice" places like the hill country, but nothing that would make me say "wow". NE has the wow factors -- Niagara Falls, the Autumn leaves, the coast of Maine, the scenic NE towns with the white church steeples, etc. etc.
That's fair, because it's your opinion. But outside of Niagra Fallas, most the scenary(especially the autumnal scenary) isn't as spectacular to me as Big Bend, or El Capitan rock, Llano Estacado, or the Gulf Coast Beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 10:19 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,344,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I never claimed that the entire state of Texas is simply desert, that forests are non-existent or the entire state is flat. It's pretty obvious, however, that Texas generally doesn't get as much precipitation, nor does it have as much forest cover as the Northeast.

I wasn't trying to be ignorant or insulting, and there's nothing nonfactual about that statement:

Average Annual Precipitation by State - Current Results

State-by-State Forest Facts
The way you worded your post made it seem you were suggesting that Texas was essentially nothing but "arid/desert". You should have been more specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
Texas just went up in my book! Are those mountains by chance covered in Ponderosa or other evergreen? Or are they simply barren of all trees?
I believe they're barren. I'm honestly not sure where exactly you'll find evergreen in West Texas.

Quote:
All that may be true about TX having greater climatological extremes, but that doesn't make it "pretty".

I like a lot of things about TX, but "scenic beauty" is not one of them. Don't get me wrong, there are "nice" places like the hill country, but nothing that would make me say "wow". NE has the wow factors -- Niagara Falls, the Autumn leaves, the coast of Maine, the scenic NE towns with the white church steeples, etc. etc.
Texas has its own quaint towns with beautiful churches.

I think that the need to be "wowed" by something in order for it be beautiful is nothing more than social conditioning. Our culture doesn't posess the ability to find beauty in that which is more understated and "simple". With that said, I will concede that much of the northeast's scenery is more dramatic, but not absolutely more beautiful, in my mind. We all have our preferences, and East Texas, for example, I find to be quite easy on the eyes and comparable to what you find in New England.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:21 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Yes it does. Here's a notable one: Letchworth State Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These canyons, or as they are called locally "gorges" are found all throughout the Allegheny plateau, especially on the edges where it terminates into the Ontario plains or falls into a finger lake.

There is also the Watkins gorge: Watkins Glen State Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Watkins gorge is rather deep into the Alleghenies between the hills.
You beat me to it. Pennsylvania does too: Tioga County, PA Visitors Bureau and the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania Canyon

Old 06-19-2012, 10:27 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,541,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
That's fair, because it's your opinion. But outside of Niagra Fallas, most the scenary(especially the autumnal scenary) isn't as spectacular to me as Big Bend, or El Capitan rock, Llano Estacado, or the Gulf Coast Beaches.
It's cool... this entire thread is completely subjective (as are most threads here LOL).

The most horrible, boring, longest drive I've ever had was I-10/20 from El Paso to Dallas. That's a long @ss way to go without seeing "anything"... Same with US 287 Dallas-Amarillo... I-35 between Dallas and San Antonio... I-10 between Houston and Beaumont.... I-40 through the Panhandle... I-20 from Dallas to Shreveport... I-37 San Antonio to Corpus...US 77 from Corpus to South Padre...

so sleepy...

On the other hand, US 290 from Austin to I-10 is a really nice drive through Hill Country... Would love to get to Big Bend one of these days as well.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:01 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,775,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Here's an excellent image thread for upstate New York: The Upstate NY Picture Thread
To be sure, Upstate NY is unbelievably gorgeous and I think the whole NE region can hold its own against anywhere in the U.S....however looking through the pics I posted (and many many others of various beautiful parts of Texas) I just have to chuckle at the "Texas is flat and treeless" and "80% of Texas is an arid desert" comments. I already voted for the NE but as far as Texas scenery goes, I ain't mad...and I'm not one of those folks who's only lived here or never left the state - I lived 15 years in Colorado.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:12 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,954,464 times
Quote:
It's cool... this entire thread is completely subjective (as are most threads here LOL).

The most horrible, boring, longest drive I've ever had was I-10/20 from El Paso to Dallas. That's a long @ss way to go without seeing "anything"... Same with US 287 Dallas-Amarillo... I-35 between Dallas and San Antonio... I-10 between Houston and Beaumont.... I-40 through the Panhandle... I-20 from Dallas to Shreveport... I-37 San Antonio to Corpus...US 77 from Corpus to South Padre...

so sleepy...

On the other hand, US 290 from Austin to I-10 is a really nice drive through Hill Country... Would love to get to Big Bend one of these days as well.
Love that drive. And as sleepy as Austin to Houston on US 290 is, I like driving through the downtowns of those small towns(Giddings, Brenham, Elgin, etc.)

Old 06-19-2012, 11:16 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,912,044 times
Quote:

The most horrible, boring, longest drive I've ever had was I-10/20 from El Paso to Fort Worth. That's a long @ss way to go without seeing "anything"... Same with US 287 Fort Worth-Amarillo... I-35 between DFW and San Antonio... I-10 between Houston and Beaumont.... I-40 through the Panhandle... I-20 from Dallas to Shreveport... I-37 San Antonio to Corpus...US 77 from Corpus to South Padre...

so sleepy...

Fixed it for ya.

(Fort Worth native/homer... ask anybody who's seen my past posts and they'll tell you it's a habbit of mine)

Old 06-19-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Love that drive. And as sleepy as Austin to Houston on US 290 is, I like driving through the downtowns of those small towns(Giddings, Brenham, Elgin, etc.)
Actually that's why I like Highway 6 from Waco to College Station (and Waco to I-20) as well... the small towns are quaint and "rural" Texas...

Old 06-19-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Fixed it for ya.

(Fort Worth native/homer... ask anybody who's seen my past posts and they'll tell you it's a habbit of mine)
Gotcha... yeah I guess I should have said DFW metro (but I-20 does go to Dallas as well).

Old 06-19-2012, 11:27 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,912,044 times
Quote:
Gotcha... yeah I guess I should have said DFW metro (but I-20 does go to Dallas as well).
Yeah, I know that.

And I have to drive Hwy 6 every year from Fort Worth to Prairie View.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City