Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer the natural scenery in:
Texas 24 20.00%
Northeastern U.S. 96 80.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 09:43 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times

Advertisements

Waterfalls:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 10:06 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,608,583 times
OK, sorry to pile on Texas. But from what I have seen in both places, I think the Northeast wins this one. I really like fall colors, so it's not really a fair fight.

Here are some photos I took in New Hampshire during October 2010:

Old 06-20-2012, 10:11 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
OK, sorry to pile on Texas. But from what I have seen in both places, I think the Northeast wins this one. I really like fall colors, so it's not really a fair fight.

Here are some photos I took in New Hampshire during October 2010:
Nice! Here's mine of New Hampshire from October 2008. Seems like a different style / subject to our photos. Both good in different ways:

Old 06-20-2012, 10:19 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,346,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
A couple of people have shown some nice pictures of forests, swamps and lakes in Texas, particually in East Texas. And its interesting to see fall colors in Texas. But I will point out that if you really like forests, lakes and fall colors, you will love the Northeast.

First off the Northeast is literally covered with forests (even in states and cities where you would least expect it). And if you like the Big Thicket of East Texas, you will also like the Northeast because the Ice Age has left thousands of swamps and marshes. Here is one just 25 miles west of Manhattan in Northern new Jersey Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge | Northeast Region, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service .

Speaking of lakes, Caddo Lake looks beautiful (and biologically interesting) but you are comparing to the Northeast which has thousands of lakes. Many of them are fed by mountain brooks and rivers which are clean and unpolluted, which for example is why NYC does not have to treat much of its water supply.

The Northeast has a abundant water supply, which has led to so much forests and lakes. Its one of our strongpoints. In fact, if I was arguring for Texas on this thread, I would quitely leave out the subject of lakes LOL! Also I would not bring up the subject of rivers and brooks!

And definetely, not for even a moment, ever bring up the subject of Waterfalls!

Niagara Falls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Understood, but Caddo Lake just does something to me. It screams "Dixie" in a way that few other southern locations I've ever seen can. It's a truly mystic place.

As for the forests, East Texas is just my pride and joy. There's such a dominant stereotype of Texas being flat and treeless, and we have such a wonderful area to throw in their face. ET is essentially just a subregion of the entire eastern US forest.

I'm still kicking myself for not taking pictures of this past autumn season in Northeast Texas, as I myself was literally floored with the amount of vivid fall color present that year; especially after such an ugly summer.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_tUO3FYADUH0/TN...0-1%5B7%5D.jpg

^You'd probably think "that can't be Texas". Well, guess again, because it is.

Last edited by Nairobi; 06-20-2012 at 10:30 AM..

Old 06-20-2012, 11:33 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,046,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I've lived in the northeast. I was born in the northeast and I'm from Albany. First this thread takes into account a lot of speculation that just doesn't exist or didn't when I lived back east. No one from Buffalo is going to claim being apart of the same northeast as NYC, vice versa. I think its ridiculous to treat the upper northeast like a second class place and then make a thread and try to act like all is forgiven to work together on beating down on another place. From El Paso to Beaumont, Lubbock to Harlingen everyone in that state identifies as being a Texan no matter what the differences are. Northeast isnt that same way, you are a divided people New England, Midwest (think Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Rochester), mid Atlantic, etc. You can try to articulate no lines but your regions culture is much to divided to ever feel as unified as big states like Texas or California and that's been our point from the start. Comparing single states no matter what their size to entire regions for us comes off this way. I know you may see things differently living in New England your tiny region is unified beyond state lines but its not unified with other places in the northeast like New Jersey or western Pennsylvania or upstate New York.

Yes sure the northeast has everything Texas does, as a region it should but as a state no Texas and New York stand alone standing beside one another then there's the rest distantly following those two.
Who ever said anything about "unity?" And where does "unity" fit into a thread about scenery? I'm well aware that there are cultural differences between different sections of the Northeast. I've never heard of those cultural differences adversely impacting anyone's ability to enjoy the region's natural beauty.

All I'm saying is that in a smaller land area in the Northeast (particularly New England), I can get to more beautiful places (the "beautiful" part is my opinion) than I could in Texas. You can debate the "beauty" aspect and I won't argue back, but using imaginary lines as dividers for scenery is the only thing "laughable" going on here. The state line in New Hampshire has never even been an afterthought when I drive 3 hours from Boston to the White Mountains. The Rhode Island border isn't an obstacle for traveling from Boston to Newport.

Sure, there are cultural differences (and there are in different sections of Texas, albeit to lesser degrees), but I would even argue that that's a positive for the Northeast. In a smaller geographic footprint in the Northeast (again, I'm focusing only on New England here), you have incredible differences in not only the topography, but also the culture. How is that a bad thing again?

Old 06-20-2012, 11:41 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,614,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Understood, but Caddo Lake just does something to me. It screams "Dixie" in a way that few other southern locations I've ever seen can. It's a truly mystic place.

As for the forests, East Texas is just my pride and joy. There's such a dominant stereotype of Texas being flat and treeless, and we have such a wonderful area to throw in their face. ET is essentially just a subregion of the entire eastern US forest.
I can't officially rep you again, Nairobi, but consider this "Plus One" The same dog bit me. East Texas is beautiful...but Caddo Lake occupies a niche' all its own.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:10 PM

More upstate:

Old 06-20-2012, 12:23 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,259,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post

I'm still kicking myself for not taking pictures of this past autumn season in Northeast Texas, as I myself was literally floored with the amount of vivid fall color present that year; especially after such an ugly summer.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_tUO3FYADUH0/TN...0-1%5B7%5D.jpg

^You'd probably think "that can't be Texas". Well, guess again, because it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I can't officially rep you again, Nairobi, but consider this "Plus One" The same dog bit me. East Texas is beautiful...but Caddo Lake occupies a niche' all its own.
I have never seen Caddo Lake or East Texas in general, but have seen it mentioned a number of times before on City-Data. It does look interesting and you are right that there seems to a "Deep South" feeling to East Texas, especially with the moss hanging from the trees.

I have an old National Geographic book; America's Outdoor Wonders: State Parks and Sanctuaries which mentions Brazos Bend State Park not too far from Houston. Again I have never seen this place but it looks interesting. Especially if you are into watching wildlife or birding.

Brazos Bend State Park — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

If you like Caddo, you may want to check out Lake Champlain, Lake George, Lake Placid or Moosehead Lake if you are ever up this way.

Last edited by LINative; 06-20-2012 at 12:34 PM..

Old 06-20-2012, 12:29 PM

27,580 posts, read 28,687,607 times
A lot of nice pics posted on here. I like to see even more of Texas since I haven't been there.

What part of the Texas Gulf coast has the best waves?

Old 06-20-2012, 12:33 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,259,290 times
Nei, is your post #101 mislabeled "Waterfalls"? LoL, I ask because you wrote waterfalls and only 3 out of the 6 actually contain waterfalls!

It looks to me like photos #3 (the canyon) and #5 (tall waterfall) are in New York. And #4 looks New Yorkish too. Not sure about the others. #1 looks like New England somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City