Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city's residential architecture do you prefer?
Minneapolis 11 9.24%
Kansas City 3 2.52%
Chicago 58 48.74%
Milwaukee 7 5.88%
St. Louis 42 35.29%
Indianapolis 6 5.04%
Detroit 14 11.76%
Cincinnati 21 17.65%
Columbus 4 3.36%
Cleveland 12 10.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 09:52 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,991,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
his statements about row houses being boring is laughable.
Hm. Not really. Rowhouses are for sh-tholes IMO. Try victorians

Does Chicago have a lot of rowhomes? If it does then I don't think I want to vote for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 09:57 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,164,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Hm. Not really. Rowhouses are for cesspools IMO. Try victorians

Does Chicago have a lot of rowhomes? If it does then I don't think I want to vote for it.
Did you know there are Victorian row houses? Yes, they are all over the east coast.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:18 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,100,064 times
Victorian row houses can be very ornate, with bay windows, cornices, gingerbread, etc. But even plain little row houses like you see in Baltimore can be attractive if they're fixed up or well maintained. Some of the streets in, say, Canton, with the tidy little houses and white marble steps are very attractive.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:31 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,167,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Check out the row houses in Back Bay, Boston. Park Slope, Brooklyn. Dupont Circle, DC. (Not to mention Chicago.) Lots of variety from house to house. "Row houses" simply means the houses are attached. Not that they're all identical.
Yes, I know what a rowhouse is, and I know there are a variety of iterations of rowhouse. I have been to all those neighborhoods except the Back Bay, which I have seen pictures of. I still prefer detached dense houses, two and three flats, railroad apartments, etc. Its a preference. And, it bears noting, we are not talking about Boston, DC of Brooklyn. We are comparing midwest architectural vernacular.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:35 AM

Well, it bears noting that there are fine examples of row houses in Chicago, St. Louis, and Cincinatti.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:37 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,523,609 times
kids...Chicago HAS ROW HOUSES

Old 07-09-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I like the start of your list, but to put KC above Milwaukee or St. Louis is wrong, wrong, wrong, IMO. Cincy, Detroit and Cleveland though, are beautiful beautiful cities (yes, I said it)!
That's odd, because residential architecture in KC is nearly identical to Detroit, there's just less of it, though it seems more intact, and the topography is hillier. In fact, KC's built environment is more like Cleveland (and even Cincy, north of about McMillan) than either St Louis or Milwaukee are. As a caveat, I'll admit that Milwaukee is the city I am least familiar with, the others I have traveled in extensively, but the parts of it I saw looked a lot like the blander, slightly ramshackle, working class sections of Chicago.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Well, it bears noting that there are fine examples of row houses in Chicago, St. Louis, and Cincinatti.
Sure. But if one does not accept the rowhouse as the default ne plus ultra of urban residential living options, then a smattering of nice rowhouse neighborhoods (or less in some instances) becomes just one factor when considering the residential architecture of a city. And though there are certainly nice rowhouses, there are many, many more -- and maybe this is especially true in the midwest, but judging from Baltimore and Philly I don't think so -- which are just the crackerbox houses of a different generation. Crackerboxes with poor light, ill-considered layouts and little ventilation.

Either way, its just a preference, and I can tell you for certain, that you are not going to sway my opinion with mild patronizing, any more than I would be able to sway yours with reiteration.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:06 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,784,555 times
It's funny how people from the less famous East Coast cities (Any city not called NYC, Boston, Atlanta or Miami) get all hyped out on row homes. Yo Yo Yo look at that row house yo yo yo yo I feel like I am in Paris France yo.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:17 AM

If you don't like row houses then you write off world class cities like San Francisco, London, Edinburg, Dublin, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City