Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city's residential architecture do you prefer?
Minneapolis 11 9.24%
Kansas City 3 2.52%
Chicago 58 48.74%
Milwaukee 7 5.88%
St. Louis 42 35.29%
Indianapolis 6 5.04%
Detroit 14 11.76%
Cincinnati 21 17.65%
Columbus 4 3.36%
Cleveland 12 10.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 11:00 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,031,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
what? Chicago doesn't look like the pictures I posted? St. Louis has consistently better architecture on a typical city street? Most would strongly disagree with you on that point there. Go ahead and keep poo-pooing skyscrapers. Guess what..they matter, they are very 'typical' on a Chicago city street, and they are architecture. People are pointing out select neighborhoods in STL, Cincy and Chicago to cite examples from. What exactly is a 'typical' city street? How do you judge what is 'typical' in a metro of almost 10 million to a metro of almost 3 million? Your argument is pretty vague.
First of all, I don't have an argument to make--it's an opinion, and it's not vague. Even you know that most neighborhoods in Chicago don't look like that. Most, as in the majority. Don't misquote what I said.

What it boils down to here is the Chicago superiority complex that keeps rearing its ugly head in these polls. See, some people don't see Chicago as the automatic #1 in every contest. No one's out to get Chicago or "poo-poo" on Chicago, as you so eloquently put it. You can rationalize it however you want, but let's be honest--if skyscrapers were that important, DC and Paris would be less relevant than most major American cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Exactly, dude tries to front as if all of St. Louis is vintage 1810 housing stock. GTFO with that silly nonsense.
What's even more silly is how defensive you get when someone doesn't agree with you. People might take you more seriously if you quote what was actually said.

"dude tries to front"

^Great choice of words there. Are you a Soufsida? You're probably one of those people who celebrate when Chicago has the most murders each year.
Quote:
Chicago has the best residential architecture in the United States and it really is not even up for debate.
Lol...best in the United States? You Chicago boosters crack me up. I can hear the theme song to Family Matters when I read your posts.

Apparently, it is up for debate. Chicago's barely beating little ol' St. Louis in the poll! What does that tell you about attempting to go up against Boston, Philadelphia, or New York?

Last edited by Colts; 07-06-2012 at 11:16 PM..

Old 07-06-2012, 11:14 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,523,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post

What it boils down to here is the Chicago superiority complex that keeps rearing its ugly head in these polls. See, some people don't see Chicago as the automatic #1 in every contest. No one's out to get Chicago or "poo-poo" on Chicago, as you so eloquently put it. You can rationalize it however you want, but let's be honest--if skyscrapers were that important, DC and Paris would be less relevant than most major American cities.
so me making multiple valid posts and arguments for Chicago's variety, quantity and quality of architecture is 'superiority complex rearing it's ugly head'?
seems like someone else has a complex..and judging by your post history, there is a lot of bashing I see happening.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:14 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,202,761 times
All I saw was a bunch of 2-3 flats in the st.louis pics.
Can anyone post some real pictures?

Old 07-06-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
so me making multiple valid posts and arguments for Chicago's variety, quantity and quality of architecture is 'superiority complex rearing it's ugly head'?
seems like someone else has a complex..and judging by your post history, there is a lot of bashing I see happening.
Show me where I bashed Chicago.

Meanwhile, here's what you said earlier in this thread
Quote:
Id like to see some pictures of the quality, quantity and variety of st Louis residential architecture that people are so convinced is superior to Chicago. Not being snarky here..genuinely curious
You say that as if there can't be any option other than Chicago. The bolded part screams superiority complex.

You have a hard time accepting others' opinions when it pertains to your city. No one even said anything that was negative about Chicago. Preferring other cities' architecture is not a knock on Chicago. It's good to have civic pride, but there's no logic in trying to misquote others, etc.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:21 PM

578 posts, read 1,093,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxontwinz View Post
St. Louis... ya. Chicago... ya. I do think St. Paul should be mentioned. See Summit Avenue and Cathedral Hill. St. Paul has much variety and stunning Victorian homes.
Visit Lakewood balmoral in Chicago or kenwood to see spectacular Victorian homes. Chicago has every style imaginable just on sheer size. St Paul has some really great residential architecture for sure. But Chicago in the midwest is just gonna win over - sorry

Old 07-06-2012, 11:53 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,471,833 times
Cincinnati's OTR is absolutely unmatched among these cities. Throw in Hyde Park, East Walnut Hills, Mount Adams, Mount Lookout and Clifton Gaslight and the Queen City has some amazingly beautiful neighborhoods.

Chicago and St. Louis join Cincy in standing out above the rest of this list.

Last edited by abr7rmj; 07-07-2012 at 12:08 AM..

Old 07-06-2012, 11:54 PM

10,754 posts, read 23,832,257 times
Quote:
Id like to see some pictures of the quality, quantity and variety of st Louis residential architecture that people are so convinced is superior to Chicago. Not being snarky here..genuinely curious
My take on St. Louis is it's just DIFFERENT than Chicago in architectural style. I find it funny that some people think one city infinately has better architecture over another (such as those nauseating Philly/Boston posts ) when they're just mere opinions. I like how Midwestern cities have sophisticated architecture with a bit more elbow room yet still every bit as urban. Chicago has a lot more variety in residential architecture, though St. Louis architecture is sort of precarious (but in a good way). St. Louis feels North, South, East, and West. Parts of St. Louis remind me of Baltimore. Others remind me of New Orleans (like Soulard). Suburbs like Clayton remind me of some of the edge cities out West. Both Chicago and St. Louis are a cornucopia of architectural styles though obviously Chicago has the edge with modern architecture and infrastructure.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 07-07-2012 at 12:09 AM..

Old 07-07-2012, 12:05 AM

865 posts, read 1,473,501 times
Here's some pics from Cincy

Last edited by JMT; 07-07-2012 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: Max of 6 images per post

Old 07-07-2012, 12:39 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,202,761 times
Looks like pilsen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City