Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city's residential architecture do you prefer?
Minneapolis 11 9.24%
Kansas City 3 2.52%
Chicago 58 48.74%
Milwaukee 7 5.88%
St. Louis 42 35.29%
Indianapolis 6 5.04%
Detroit 14 11.76%
Cincinnati 21 17.65%
Columbus 4 3.36%
Cleveland 12 10.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 12:55 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times

Advertisements

Lots of house in the NYC boroughs and New Joisey have parking spaces in place of front yards. I agree it does look kind of tacky. I don't think I've seen any of this in Chicago. I've been to Chicago a couple of times but most of what I know about the neighborhoods is from picture threads and the google street-view (love that street-view).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 01:13 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,784,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Not to be funny, but have you actually been to the South?
I was in Kankakee, IL last week. So yes.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:10 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,031,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
I was in Kankakee, IL last week. So yes.
I knew Chicagoans were more geographically ignorant than Americans as a whole, but man...

Anyway, I don't think it's fair to compare Midwest urbanity to the East Coast. You're dealing with a whole different realm of cities there...

Old 07-06-2012, 02:51 PM

739 posts, read 1,188,516 times
Chicago, by far....

Old 07-06-2012, 04:09 PM

16 posts, read 10,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
tI would say that in general, the Midwest and Northeast have the most interesting architecture. Large Midwest cities and Northeast ones I would say have very classic, stylish architecture architecturally that the south and west just can't matchi. With regards to St. Louis, no city in the Midwest has an answer to the Arch. That IMO is architecture at its most stunning. How they built it and got it to stand was a truly amazing feat of engineering. St. Louis' bridges over the river, its large mixture of frame and brick, etc. is pretty interesting. Not to mention, many of its Catholic churches have a Gothic look and feel to them, similar to many in the Midwest. All those factories and steel mills along the river make it interesting too.
Don't want to derail the thread but I do that the South edges out the Midwest when it comes to residential architecture. Overall architecture, sure the Midwest has it but don't count out the Atlantic South and the Gulf Coastal South.

I made a thread a long time ago about rowhouse cities and since then, I've actually had the pleasure of going to some of the more historic inner city areas of the South. I'll probably make a thread on it.

1.St. Louis 2.Chicago 3.Cincinnati 4.Everyone Else.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:31 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,522,794 times
Id like to see some pictures of the quality, quantity and variety of st Louis residential architecture that people are so convinced is superior to Chicago. Not being snarky here..genuinely curious

Old 07-06-2012, 06:45 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Cincinnati and St. Louis have the most awesome residential architecture in the Midwest because they're heavily inspired by the architecture in Pennsylvania and Maryland.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:13 PM

886 posts, read 1,564,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
i have spent time in both of those places...and I've seen areas of Chicago with just as nice rowhomes, but not always "as far as the eye can see!"...what I am trying to say, that people aren't getting, is that Chicago has the ability to offer even more variety than row homes as far as the eye can see...it offers row homes, but it also has much more. obviously philly has a larger quanity/better stock of strict row homes than Chicago, but again, this isnt a "which city has the best rowhomes" thread, and this isn't even a thread about the Northeast. It's about residential architecture. Show me something in St. Louis that offers this view from an apartment...no, you don't have to sit on the ledge of the balcony like these insane kids did
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2606/...a234f4dc_o.jpg
Got to love Chicago. It's size and variety and big city DNA is all one needs to enjoy.

Chicago by a considerable margin.

I realize STL and CIN have great architecture but for me I care for each regions most varied and energetic large cities, which for the Midwest is Chicago and SF for the west.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:14 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Id like to see some pictures of the quality, quantity and variety of st Louis residential architecture that people are so convinced is superior to Chicago. Not being snarky here..genuinely curious
Right now, St. Louis has 28 votes against Chicago's 33 votes.

That's impressive for St. Louis. I'm curious too.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:16 PM

886 posts, read 1,564,549 times
That picture on the Chicago high rise was just WOW! That's something you can only expect from NYC but I guess not anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City