Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city's residential architecture do you prefer?
Minneapolis 11 9.24%
Kansas City 3 2.52%
Chicago 58 48.74%
Milwaukee 7 5.88%
St. Louis 42 35.29%
Indianapolis 6 5.04%
Detroit 14 11.76%
Cincinnati 21 17.65%
Columbus 4 3.36%
Cleveland 12 10.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 09:39 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,518,426 times

Advertisements

yes..and I'd rather live here...
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Linco...62.54,,0,-2.66

than here...
http://somethingfortheeyes.files.wor...w-houses-t.jpg

yet i've seen people rant and rave and post pictures of rundown rowhomes and claiming that it is so much better than Chicago's "bungalow neighborhoods"

its just preference...and yes i know baltimore has row homes nicer than that, but those are your average, run of the mill row homes. like I said, Chicago HAS row homes, and it has just about everything else...something the other metros cannot claim. I do think the Midwest is vastly underappreciated for its architecture though (especially other cities than Chicago)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 09:41 AM

358 posts, read 754,731 times
St. Louis

Old 07-06-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Spend some time in Back Bay in Boston. Or in Philly and then you will definitely see the difference. Nothing comes close to urban residential architecture as a nice row house or brownstone. That's why they cost so much more than bungalows or flats.
i have spent time in both of those places...and I've seen areas of Chicago with just as nice rowhomes, but not always "as far as the eye can see!"...what I am trying to say, that people aren't getting, is that Chicago has the ability to offer even more variety than row homes as far as the eye can see...it offers row homes, but it also has much more. obviously philly has a larger quanity/better stock of strict row homes than Chicago, but again, this isnt a "which city has the best rowhomes" thread, and this isn't even a thread about the Northeast. It's about residential architecture. Show me something in St. Louis that offers this view from an apartment...no, you don't have to sit on the ledge of the balcony like these insane kids did
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2606/...a234f4dc_o.jpg

Last edited by ForYourLungsOnly; 07-06-2012 at 09:55 AM..

Old 07-06-2012, 10:07 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
^^That looks awesome though.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:12 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
i have spent time in both of those places...and I've seen areas of Chicago with just as nice rowhomes, but not always "as far as the eye can see!"...what I am trying to say, that people aren't getting, is that Chicago has the ability to offer even more variety than row homes as far as the eye can see...it offers row homes, but it also has much more.
Chicago's best rowhomes (there not even many Chicago rowhomes) pale in comparison to Philly or Boston rowhomes with their old historic colonial charm. Let's not get ahead of ourselves now. You know that rowhomes are not Chicago's forte. Chicago does have nice residential architecture and it is arguably the best in the Midwest.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
^^That looks awesome though.
yea...i'd definitely be too chicken to do it though.

in case anyone is wondering, and since we are talking about residential architecture, not views, here is the building they are sitting on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqua_(skyscraper)

http://www.amazing-architecture.com/...e8c17ae9_b.jpg

Old 07-06-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Chicago's best rowhomes (there not even may Chicago rowhomes) pale in comparison to Philly or Boston rowhomes with their old historic colonial charm. Let's not get ahead of ourselves now. You know that rowhomes are not Chicago's forte. Chicago does have nice residential architecture and it is arguably the best in the Midwest.
ugh.... read my posts.. i didn't say Chicago's rowhomes were better than Phillys or Bostons...I certainly don't think they 'pale in comparison', but like I said, there is a lower stock of them, and Chicago has more variety in it's architecture. Again, this is NOT ABOUT the Northeast.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:22 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,975 times
Quote:
ugh.... read my posts.. i didn't say Chicago's rowhomes were better than Phillys or Bostons...I certainly don't think they 'pale in comparison', but like I said, there is a lower stock of them, and Chicago has more variety in it's architecture. Again, this is NOT ABOUT the Northeast.
Lol they're so stupid.

This thread has turned into a Chicago rowhomes vs East Coast rowhomes

When this thread is about RESIDENTIAL ARCHITECTURE IN THE MIDWEST

Chicago has all kinds, not just row homes, even if they are underrepresented... it makes up for it with much more variety.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:44 AM

976 posts, read 2,241,836 times
Quote:
i have spent time in both of those places...and I've seen areas of Chicago with just as nice rowhomes, but not always "as far as the eye can see!"...what I am trying to say, that people aren't getting, is that Chicago has the ability to offer even more variety than row homes as far as the eye can see...it offers row homes, but it also has much more. obviously philly has a larger quanity/better stock of strict row homes than Chicago, but again, this isnt a "which city has the best rowhomes" thread, and this isn't even a thread about the Northeast. It's about residential architecture. Show me something in St. Louis that offers this view from an apartment...no, you don't have to sit on the ledge of the balcony like these insane kids did
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2606/...a234f4dc_o.jpg
that is a wonderful view indeed, and chicago does offer highrise living that is unsurpassed in the midwest. but other midwest cities, including st. louis also feature highrise living in buildings new and old with wonderful views. they won't be chicago views, but they are city views nonetheless.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
that is a wonderful view indeed, and chicago does offer highrise living that is unsurpassed in the midwest. but other midwest cities, including st. louis also feature highrise living in buildings new and old with wonderful views. they won't be chicago views, but they are city views nonetheless.
agreed..I'm sure St. Louis and most of the larger Midwest cities have some nice highrise city views, but like you said, may not be as good as the Chicago views in regards to urban scale, views of Lake Michigan, etc, but they still have them. Again, I think the Midwest is vastly underrated when it comes to architecture and urban fabric (and just an under-appreciated region in general)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City