Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city's residential architecture do you prefer?
Minneapolis 11 9.24%
Kansas City 3 2.52%
Chicago 58 48.74%
Milwaukee 7 5.88%
St. Louis 42 35.29%
Indianapolis 6 5.04%
Detroit 14 11.76%
Cincinnati 21 17.65%
Columbus 4 3.36%
Cleveland 12 10.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 10:52 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I've seen almost every style of home in Chicago and the perception that I have is that bungalows and flats dominate the entire city. You may find a small amount of streets here or there with row houses but that's not the norm. Some of the bungalows are incredible but they scream suburbia. That's why I picked "The Loo."
No they don't, not to people who aren't ignorant of Chicago life.

If scenes like this "scream suburbia" to you, you're the one with the inaccurate perception:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=chica...=12,24.54,,0,0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 11:00 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,299,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Chicago's best rowhomes (there not even many Chicago rowhomes) pale in comparison to Philly or Boston rowhomes with their old historic colonial charm. Let's not get ahead of ourselves now. You know that rowhomes are not Chicago's forte. Chicago does have nice residential architecture and it is arguably the best in the Midwest.
Chicago has some beautiful row homes (though they are not as plentiful as in the east coast cities). In fact it has some of the best late-19th century residential architecture in the country.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:01 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,189,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
ugh.... read my posts.. i didn't say Chicago's rowhomes were better than Phillys or Bostons...I certainly don't think they 'pale in comparison', but like I said, there is a lower stock of them, and Chicago has more variety in it's architecture. Again, this is NOT ABOUT the Northeast.
You said you saw some "just as nice" as Philly or Boston's which isn't true. I then addressed the topic of this discussion by saying "Chicago has arguably best residential architecture in the Midwest" just to keep the thread on track. St Louis also arguably has the best residential architecture in the Midwest. In all, its between those two with Cincinnati up for honorable mention imo.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:04 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,522,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
You said you saw some "just as nice" as Philly or Boston's which isn't true. I then addressed the topic of this discussion by saying "Chicago has arguably best residential architecture in the Midwest" just to keep the thread on track. St Louis also arguably has the best residential architecture in the Midwest. In all, its between those two with Cincinnati up for honorable mention imo.
if you truly believe that Chicago has NO rowhomes as nice as ones you'd find in Philly or Boston, you don't know Chicago.

...and, um..did you just say what I personally saw "isn't true"?? I'm glad you know what I have and haven't seen.

I said I've seen rowhomes in Chicago just as beautiful as rowhomes I've seen in Boston, Philly, etc., and that they are not as PLENTIFUL in Chicago. That is true.

Once again...lets keep the NE out of this

Old 07-06-2012, 11:08 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,189,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
if you truly believe that Chicago has NO rowhomes as nice as ones you'd find in Philly or Boston, you don't know Chicago.
OK, we will just agree to disagree. That's a discussion for another thread. Lets keep this thread on track.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:16 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
I like the shot of the Chicago bungalows by tribecavsbrowns. They have a nice cozy look. But still more remaniscent of inner ring suburbs than close in city neighborhoods. Of course, there's nothing wrong with that. Midwestern cities just have a different style and look than east coast towns.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:16 AM

362 posts, read 665,768 times
I think St. Louis and Chicago have comparable residential architecture, but Chicago just has ALOT more.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:36 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,164,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
No they don't, not to people who aren't ignorant of Chicago life.

If scenes like this "scream suburbia" to you, you're the one with the inaccurate perception:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=chica...=12,24.54,,0,0
I've been on streets like that in Chicago and yes they are cool. The homes that I think scream suburbia have the out front parking space in the front yard. Not these.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:38 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,164,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I like the shot of the Chicago bungalows by tribecavsbrowns. They have a nice cozy look. But still more remaniscent of inner ring suburbs than close in city neighborhoods. Of course, there's nothing wrong with that. Midwestern cities just have a different style and look than east coast towns.
My point exactly! (inner ring suburbs).

Old 07-06-2012, 12:43 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I've been on streets like that in Chicago and yes they are cool. The homes that I think scream suburbia have the out front parking space in the front yard. Not these.
Like the houses in Toronto, or what? Parking spaces in the front yard are extremely rare in Chicago, you either park on the street or in a garage off the alley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City