Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2014, 10:03 AM

215 posts, read 379,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
What about them?
How can a place be labeled progressive with those things. All you can eat BBQ joints everywhere etc......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 10:08 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lunatic & A Therapist View Post
How can a place be labeled progressive with those things. All you can eat BBQ joints everywhere etc......
New York has accents and pick up trucks. And BBQ joints.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:15 AM

215 posts, read 379,351 times
DFW......... The least progressive largest city in all of America - pick up trucks everywhere, big bellies, southern accents, rodeos, AYCE joints everywhere, horrible parks, cowboy culture, country music, etc.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:18 AM

LOL at cowboy culture in DFW. A city known for glitz and glamor.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:42 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
Quote:
Man, this thread seems to be bringing out the morons on CD.

First off, if you think Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta aren't progressive, I would invite you to join reality. .
I'd invite you to explore the rest of the United States. They are all moderate at best (Atlanta), mostly conservative though(Dallas Houston) and ultra religious. There are some democrats there but that is the black and latino vote. Same way Detroit or Gary Indiana deem themselves liberal.

Dallas is very liberal... ... .NOT - Borat

Quote:
The amount of projects that go on in Dallas is absolutely insane. If that isn't progressive, I don't know what is. .
Yeah I'm thinking you don't know what progressive is.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:56 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
Thats probably one of the most closed minded (conserative if you will) things Ive read on CD. Ignorance.

Quote:
DFW......... The least progressive largest city in all of America - pick up trucks everywhere, big bellies, southern accents, rodeos, AYCE joints everywhere, horrible parks, cowboy culture, country music, etc.
Youve never been to Dallas. If you say you have, youre lying. Dallas isnt anything like that. Dallas is known for being dressy and modern. There is almost nothing country about the city of Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yeah I'm thinking you don't know what progressive is.
Ive lived across the US and internationally. I know very well what progressive is. I didnt say Dallas, Houston, or Atlanta were the most progressive in the US but they certainly arent the least. I did say that Dallas is one of the most ambitious cities in the US. Even if that isnt politically progressive, that is progressive.

Perhaps you need to get aquanited with the definition of progressive. Its not a term that is specific to politics. Youre taking my saying Dallas is extremely progressive to mean Dallas is extremely liberal. Dallas (like Houston and Atlanta) is moderate/left leaning city in a moderate/right leaning metro area politically. Dallas on the other hand is extremely progressive. Heres the definition:

Full Definition of PROGRESSIVE

a : of, relating to, or characterized by progress
b : making use of or interested in new ideas, findings, or opportunities
c : of, relating to, or constituting an educational theory marked by emphasis on the individual child, informality of classroom procedure, and encouragement of self-expression

: of, relating to, or characterized by progression

: moving forward or onward : advancing

a : increasing in extent or severity <a progressive disease>
b : increasing in rate as the base increases <a progressive tax>

often capitalized : of or relating to political Progressives

: of, relating to, or constituting a verb form that expresses action or state in progress at the time of speaking or a time spoken of

: of, relating to, or being a multifocal lens with a gradual transition between focal lengths <progressive bifocals>

: or, relating to, or using a method of video scanning (as for television or a computer monitor) in which the horizontal lines of each frame are drawn successively from top to bottom — compare interlaced

Old 01-28-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Thats probably one of the most closed minded (conserative if you will) things Ive read on CD. Ignorance.

Youve never been to Dallas. If you say you have, youre lying. Dallas isnt anything like that. Dallas is known for being dressy and modern. There is almost nothing country about the city of Dallas.

Ive lived across the US and internationally. I know very well what progressive is. I didnt say Dallas, Houston, or Atlanta were the most progressive in the US but they certainly arent the least. I did say that Dallas is one of the most ambitious cities in the US. Even if that isnt politically progressive, that is progressive.

Perhaps you need to get aquanited with the definition of progressive.
For the size of the cities i.e. any metro over 5 milion, they are most easily the least progressive of the bunch in their class. Not saying they are like Macon Georgia or something.
And you just say it isn't politically progressive, I thought that is what we were talking about... Not building a bunch of buildings or new development projects.

Are they good centers of business and growing extremely fast? Yes definitely. Progressive cities in the colloquial sense of the term? Not so much.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:01 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
For the size of the cities i.e. any metro over 5 milion, they are most easily the least progressive of the bunch in their class. Not saying they are like Macon Georgia or something.
Re-read the same post I just edited.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Re-read the same post I just edited.
You are just moving the flag posts clearly away from what most people know is progressive (i.e. progressive politics) but I guess what the OP intended...for better or worse. If progressive equals lots of change/growth, yes Dallas is up there, if progressive politics, no.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
You are just moving the flag posts clearly away from what most people know is progressive (i.e. progressive politics) but I guess what the OP intended...for better or worse. If progressive equals lots of change/growth, yes Dallas is up there, if progressive politics, no.
Isn't that what progressive means? Progress? Left doesn't mean progressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City