Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 07:52 PM

205 posts, read 720,378 times

Advertisements

chicago then boston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 08:48 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times
By far, Chicago.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:48 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
All of this is completely true and most of the indentured servants were usually Irish. Keep in mind that the Irish were occupied by the British for 500 years and even to this day, there is still some hostility. Check this out:RACE - The Power of an Illusion . Background Readings | PBS

and this:tim wise - Google Video
The article from PBS was powerful. Giving up racism would in fact expand the "privilege" to people of all races and ethnicities.
I thought about this for a while. Dr. King's next part in the Civil Rights movement never got off that well. He was murdered before it could start. One thing one must realize is that getting rid of the econmic disparities was an important part of the Civil Rights movement. A part that many people would claim as "Communist". I don't call it communist to get rid of the idea of the "underclass" of someone being beneath someone. Dr. King wanted a society where no one would have to be the "underclass". Sometimes racial segregation occurs because of economic disparities.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:32 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
The article from PBS was powerful. Giving up racism would in fact expand the "privilege" to people of all races and ethnicities.
I thought about this for a while. Dr. King's next part in the Civil Rights movement never got off that well. He was murdered before it could start. One thing one must realize is that getting rid of the econmic disparities was an important part of the Civil Rights movement. A part that many people would claim as "Communist". I don't call it communist to get rid of the idea of the "underclass" of someone being beneath someone. Dr. King wanted a society where no one would have to be the "underclass". Sometimes racial segregation occurs because of economic disparities.
When people in this country realize how much race and economics is connected, you then will see even more change. Race was formed for economic gain, really.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
When people in this country realize how much race and economics is connected, you then will see even more change. Race was formed for economic gain, really.
I understand that. Blacks have always been in the underclass of American society, therefore, they remained the poorest and the most marginalized of society, apart from the Native Americans. Las were first used to keep blacks segregated in the USA. Once the laws were declared unconstitutional, blacks were still living in higher levels of poverty and economic distress than anyone else. That is a big part of why many blacks remained segregagted. It is now a class issue, but race is in the mix.
The final use of blacks as slaves proved to be an economical benefit to the planter. Blacks couldn't escape easily without being spotted, so they would remain in slavery, making money for the slavemaster. Black skin became associated with servility and it was preferred very strongly that blacks in this nation exist as little more than the free labor. Once the practice of free labor was abolished, blacks were considered useless among many people.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I understand that. Blacks have always been in the underclass of American society, therefore, they remained the poorest and the most marginalized of society, apart from the Native Americans. Las were first used to keep blacks segregated in the USA. Once the laws were declared unconstitutional, blacks were still living in higher levels of poverty and economic distress than anyone else. That is a big part of why many blacks remained segregagted. It is now a class issue, but race is in the mix.
The final use of blacks as slaves proved to be an economical benefit to the planter. Blacks couldn't escape easily without being spotted, so they would remain in slavery, making money for the slavemaster. Black skin became associated with servility and it was preferred very strongly that blacks in this nation exist as little more than the free labor. Once the practice of free labor was abolished, blacks were considered useless among many people.
Sad, but true. Hence, this unspoken or unofficial caste system in terms of race and class. Check this video out and it gets to what I was eluding to:YouTube - Tim Wise: On White Privilege (Clip)

Old 03-25-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Sad, but true. Hence, this unspoken or unofficial caste system in terms of race and class. Check this video out and it gets to what I was eluding to:
YouTube - Tim Wise: On White Privilege (Clip)
I knew that there was a "privilege" system in the USA, but I didn't know it extended that far. Imagine that. No wonder there was alot of strife during the Hurricane Katrina fiasco. Two communities couldn't see eye to eye. A working class revolution is what many in the USA, particularly the elite, are afraid of because it was displace the current caste system and ultimately get rid of segregation in a certain way. If people start realizing that the concept of race was used specifically to keep people down, then the breaking down of the caste system can begin. In order for that system to work, there have to be winners and losers and race has been a determinant in that factor. Nowadays it comes in a different manner. Class is used. As I watched that video, I wodered what would happen if that video was played for 300 million people all over the USA.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:53 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
The metropolitan area was cited as being the most segregated in the U.S. in a Jet Magazine article in 2002. [22] The source of this information was a segregation index developed in the mid 1950s and used since 1964. In 2003, a more detailed study was conducted by researchers at the University of Wisconsin which found evidence that Milwaukee is not "hypersegregated" and actually ranks as the 43rd most integrated city in America. [23] Through continued dialogue between Milwaukee's citizens, the city is making an effort to reduce racial tensions and reduce the rate of segregation.[24] With demographic changes in the wake of white flight, segregation in metropolitan Milwaukee is primarily in the suburbs rather than the city as in the era of Father Groppi.[25][26]

Milwaukee is most segregated city: U.S. Census analysis | Jet | Find Articles at BNET

Old 03-25-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I knew that there was a "privilege" system in the USA, but I didn't know it extended that far. Imagine that. No wonder there was alot of strife during the Hurricane Katrina fiasco. Two communities couldn't see eye to eye. A working class revolution is what many in the USA, particularly the elite, are afraid of because it was displace the current caste system and ultimately get rid of segregation in a certain way. If people start realizing that the concept of race was used specifically to keep people down, then the breaking down of the caste system can begin. In order for that system to work, there have to be winners and losers and race has been a determinant in that factor. Nowadays it comes in a different manner. Class is used. As I watched that video, I wodered what would happen if that video was played for 300 million people all over the USA.
Very good question and I'm pretty sure there are other examples of things just like this going on across the country.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:38 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,246 times
http://www.censusscope.org/us/map_multiracial.html

Check out the link above, its pretty clear that west of the Mississippi interacial marriage is more common. Maybe thats because Asians, Native Americans and Hispanics intermarry with whites more I assume. But even the intermarriage rate among blacks is much higher west of the Mississippi.

Alaska, Hawaii, California and Washington state top the map for most number of multiracial children. The least 5 multiracial states are (Mississippi, West Virginia, Maine, Alabama and South Carolina). The eastern part of the United States has more entrenched class/social and racial divides that go deep.

I'm guessing Chicago is probably the most segregated large city.

Last edited by XXclimberX; 03-25-2009 at 05:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City