Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 07:04 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,842 times

Advertisements

Guys why are you fighting with a troll?

Old 10-02-2013, 08:03 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoorSeattle View Post
Chicago gets Nor'easters and lake effect? Interesting. The only similarity is temperature fluctuation. Winters in Chicago are more like NYC than Upstate NY.
What? Have you ever spend a winter in Chicago and NYC? I don't know the official weather numbers, but from personal experience winters in NYC are like 10 degrees warmer. We get 0 degree temperatures in NYC once every 20 years.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:10 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Evidently, neither have you. Westchester is Westchester. It isn't usually what one thinks of as upstate.
Many (most?) people who live in NYC consider everything north of the city to be "Upstate".

So Westchester would definitely be upstate for a lot of folks living in NYC.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:12 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
What? Have you ever spend a winter in Chicago and NYC? I don't know the official weather numbers, but from personal experience winters in NYC are like 10 degrees warmer. We get 0 degree temperatures in NYC once every 20 years.
Yeah, I have no idea what that guy was talking about.

Chicago weather is VERY similar to Upstate NY weather. NYC weather is quite different from both, and has much milder winters.

In fact, NYC is very different from even the suburbs to the north and west. I remember seeing the Winter weather reports, and if you were up in, say, Northern Westchester (very high elevations, and inland), the weather would be dramatically different, with rain in NYC, and heavy snow in Westchester.

NYC weather is moderated by the coastal location. Winters tend to be rainy moreso than snowy. You will get snow, of course, but rain is the most common weather pattern. You will get a massive snowfall every few years, but the typical winter is full of rain and occasional wet snow/sleet.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:28 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Many (most?) people who live in NYC consider everything north of the city to be "Upstate".

So Westchester would definitely be upstate for a lot of folks living in NYC.
Yeah, I'm not sure who told you that. I definitely do not consider Westchester to be "Upstate." I don't think of Rockland County as being "Upstate" either. When I think of "Upstate NY," Poughkeepsie and Schenectady come to mind, not Westchester. Westchester is only "Upstate" insofar as it's north of the city, imo.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:38 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
And no, in NYC, upstate means anything north of NYC. Were talking about NYC here so I dont care what people in Poughkepsie call upstate.
Yeah, again, I don't agree with this. "Upstate" vs. "Downstate" is really more of a cultural demarcation than anything. It's basically the people who are tied into NYC economically, politically, culturally vs. everybody else. It's similar to the Northern Virginia/Southern Virginia dynamic where the former is basically any area tied into the DC Metro.

No bright line dividing NOVA/SOVA or Downstate/Upstate.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:20 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah, again, I don't agree with this. "Upstate" vs. "Downstate" is really more of a cultural demarcation than anything. It's basically the people who are tied into NYC economically, politically, culturally vs. everybody else. It's similar to the Northern Virginia/Southern Virginia dynamic where the former is basically any area tied into the DC Metro.

I'd say it's landscape as well. Once you start seeing towns or developments mixed with farmland and forest, then its upstate. Commute and culturally, Westchester and Rockland make sense. Westchester gets a lot of back and forth between it and NYC, both jobs and just visiting. Rockland is a bit of an extension of North Jersey. You can hear NY accents further north, even as far north as Saugerties and northern Dutchess county towns, but its upstate. The culture feels a bit different than the rest of upstate, I'd say Orange, Ulster and Dutchess (maybe Sullivan) are upstate but have downstate influences. North of the hills of the Hudson Highlands, developed is relatively sparse, and most land is rural. Plus the hills are a very obvious break. Dark green is the NYC urban area, defined by development and commute pattern, light green are other urban areas, gray is rural.

The line from the hills is sharp. I'm puzzled why Staten Island is gray, but the rest of the map looks accurate.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:23 AM

555 posts, read 591,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Yeah, I have no idea what that guy was talking about.

Chicago weather is VERY similar to Upstate NY weather. NYC weather is quite different from both, and has much milder winters.

In fact, NYC is very different from even the suburbs to the north and west. I remember seeing the Winter weather reports, and if you were up in, say, Northern Westchester (very high elevations, and inland), the weather would be dramatically different, with rain in NYC, and heavy snow in Westchester.

NYC weather is moderated by the coastal location. Winters tend to be rainy moreso than snowy. You will get snow, of course, but rain is the most common weather pattern. You will get a massive snowfall every few years, but the typical winter is full of rain and occasional wet snow/sleet.
Its the gulfstream. When you travel west from NYC you can see a huge difference once you get further from the shore.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:27 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
^That map tho. I always knew Staten Island was actually Wyoming.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:31 AM

555 posts, read 591,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

It's cultural, political etc etc. 'Upstate' can mean different things for people yet usually it is used to denote "the rest of New York State" outside of NYC and LI, for taxing, politcal and other purposes. Historically the upstate NY has been more conservative than NYC. There is of course Western New York etc, yet the most basic divide in NYS is between NYC and the rest of the state that happens to be North, or up from NYC.

This whole discussion started when ChicagoOrSeattle denied being from upstate New York even though he wrote:

Im from Upstate NY, and you will be surprised to find out at the cloud cover is roughly the same as you guys. In fact, I think Syracuse and the Central NY region is a tad cloudier to be honest. We live just east of the Great Lakes, and those are HAVENS for moisture and clouds that it drops directly on us.

"Upstate NY", "east of the Great Lakes"? That doesn’t sound like Westchester County, does it? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City