Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 05:45 PM

266 posts, read 410,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Boston doesn't have a bad reputation, why do people keep saying this?

I've noticed since I was a little kid that when Boston comes up- nearly every single girl's eyes glim up like stars out of mad love for that place. For guys- you can either support Boston teams or hate them, other than that people don't have a bad opinion of the place. It's one of the most romanticized cities in the country. I've met plenty of guys that may not like the place, never met a girl that dislike it- at all. Same way with San Francisco.
They probably like the city itself. (I.E. the things to do, the weather or the sports teams). This threads about the residents itself so cities like Detroit or Gary, In get a bad rap but you don't here people say "I hate people from Detroit" or the same about Gary. With that said Boston residents are probably more disliked by people from fellow northeast cities then they are from people from the rest of the country. A lot of it has to do with sports rivalries though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 06:01 PM

507 posts, read 808,355 times
Definitely NYC and LA, other cities are just not as scrutinized or talked about as much in real life or in the media.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:07 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,323,279 times
Wow glad to see Chicago hasn't been mentioned once. Guess we are nice people!

I would say NYC, Miami, LA and Philly get the worst.

NYC it is undeserved.
Miami somewhat. People can be very materialistic there.
LA people its undeserved. I actually really like LA people.
Phily not sure, never been, but lot of people say people in Philly are *******s.

DC and Boston are other ones, but the four above you hear more about.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:18 PM

432 posts, read 610,955 times
I've never liked Boston sports fans. They're just as bad as Philly fans but I'm biased so I have nothing against Philly fans of course. I don't like Kevin Garnett, Rondo, or Pierce because of their attitudes towards other teams. No sportsmanship whatsoever. For the girls who eyes light up when you say "Boston" is questionable. I'm sure girls eyes light up if you say any major city that they're not from. At least in my experience. When I tell a girl I'm from Philly, they usually smile and the conversation gets deeper than its suppose to go. So does that mean philly residents have good reputations? Hell no. Girls like different people. No matter where they're from. But don't take this response as offensive @Valentro.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:40 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,982,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
But don't take this response as offensive @Valentro.
Not at all, I actually agree with quite a bit of it. With that note, this in particular:
Quote:
I've never liked Boston sports fans. They're just as bad as Philly fans but I'm biased so I have nothing against Philly fans of course. I don't like Kevin Garnett, Rondo, or Pierce because of their attitudes towards other teams. No sportsmanship whatsoever.
The cheaters A.K.A. the Patriots can go burn in hell for all I care, I hope they're eliminated quick & easy in the playoffs this year.

Now as for the NBA- I'm infinitely more of a fan of basketball & my favorite team are the Lakers mostly because of Kobe. I think that flopper Paul Pierce is a cheat, I think that illegal screener Garnett is a cheat, & I think that foulmouth Rondo is retarded. I hate the Celtics with a passion- nothing makes me happier than seeing them lose.

While we're at it, screw the Bruins & Red Sox too. Unbelievable how lucky Boston's been the last 10 years, I hope they have a 20 year sports drought.
Quote:
For the girls who eyes light up when you say "Boston" is questionable. I'm sure girls eyes light up if you say any major city that they're not from. At least in my experience. When I tell a girl I'm from Philly, they usually smile and the conversation gets deeper than its suppose to go. So does that mean philly residents have good reputations? Hell no. Girls like different people. No matter where they're from.
Yeahhh in the places I've lived in so far, I have yet to come by this sort of fascination they have with Philadelphia like they do with Boston. I'll keep my eyes & ears open- now that I live in the Northeast Corridor and if what you're saying is accurate- I should be hearing & seeing star glazed shimmering pair of eyes in any random girl momentarily in regards to Philadelphia.

I'll keep you posted, you'll be the first to know when I witness that breakthrough.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:14 AM

932 posts, read 1,946,978 times
Quote:
The cheaters A.K.A. the Patriots can go burn in hell for all I care
As much as I'd love to see the Pats stripped of their StolenBowls, I don't want the Eagle's first Superbowl to have any kind of doubt, so I guess they can keep their crusty thieving rings.

Quote:
Now as for the NBA- I'm infinitely more of a fan of basketball & my favorite team are the Lakers mostly because of Kobe.
I don't know what the rest of the country knows about the controversies surrounding Kobe, but being a kid from the inner Philly Burbs, I remember there being a big uproar when Kobe decided to skip college and go straight for the pros. So much so, that the Suxxors picked Allen "the selfish one" Iverson instead of Kobe in the draft. Kobe has said he wants to come home to finish his career though. Past his prime, it'd still be nice to add another one to the long list of iconic players who have worn a Sixers uniform.

Quote:
I should be hearing & seeing star glazed shimmering pair of eyes in any random girl momentarily in regards to Philadelphia.

I'll keep you posted, you'll be the first to know when I witness that breakthrough.
I don't know that you'll see this any time soon, but I can say my New Yorker girlfriend is enamored with Philly and loves that I'm from there. We'll own a condo in CC one day.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:08 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,045,893 times
Quote:
Boston doesn't have a bad reputation, why do people keep saying this?

I've noticed since I was a little kid that when Boston comes up- nearly every single girl's eyes glim up like stars out of mad love for that place. For guys- you can either support Boston teams or hate them, other than that people don't have a bad opinion of the place. It's one of the most romanticized cities in the country. I've met plenty of guys that may not like the place, never met a girl that dislike it- at all. Same way with San Francisco.
You are aware that you have met a tiny fraction of people just within your own area, much less the rest of the state and/or country. Just because people you've met love Boston and are dying to live there doesn't mean it's a general consensus across the U.S.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
You are aware that you have met a tiny fraction of people just within your own area, much less the rest of the state and/or country. Just because people you've met love Boston and are dying to live there doesn't mean it's a general consensus across the U.S.
Again what the devil is going on here?

- I never said everyone is dying to live in Boston- I just said every person I know has a positive perception of the city & it's people. Sports- that's a different matter and it's a lighthearted category anyway. What sort of person rules out a place because of sports?

- I also never said anything about majority of the people anywhere- I was only talking about people I know.

Please stop going around thread per thread and twisting my words to mean whatever you're trying to filter here. That would be greatly appreciated. That's great you've met people that don't like Boston- absolutely fantastic- I haven't had the pleasure of meeting anyone yet that's told me that but then again I don't go around asking people "do you like Boston?" randomly either. If it comes up in a related discussion that's what I go by & I haven't had the misfortunes yet of meeting any of the naysayers yet, in real life that is.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:31 PM

14,037 posts, read 15,055,272 times
Quote:
Not at all, I actually agree with quite a bit of it. With that note, this in particular:

The cheaters A.K.A. the Patriots can go burn in hell for all I care, I hope they're eliminated quick & easy in the playoffs this year.

Now as for the NBA- I'm infinitely more of a fan of basketball & my favorite team are the Lakers mostly because of Kobe. I think that flopper Paul Pierce is a cheat, I think that illegal screener Garnett is a cheat, & I think that foulmouth Rondo is retarded. I hate the Celtics with a passion- nothing makes me happier than seeing them lose.

While we're at it, screw the Bruins & Red Sox too. Unbelievable how lucky Boston's been the last 10 years, I hope they have a 20 year sports drought.

Yeahhh in the places I've lived in so far, I have yet to come by this sort of fascination they have with Philadelphia like they do with Boston. I'll keep my eyes & ears open- now that I live in the Northeast Corridor and if what you're saying is accurate- I should be hearing & seeing star glazed shimmering pair of eyes in any random girl momentarily in regards to Philadelphia.

At least we don't boo Santa Claus

Old 12-09-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
At least we don't boo Santa Claus
LOLOL hahahahaha. Ahhhh...

Number of Superbowls the Patriots have been to before Spygate: 3
Number of Superbowls the Patrios have won before Spygate: 3

Number of Superbowls the Patriots have been to after Spygate: 2
Number of Superbowls the Patriots have won after Spygate: 0

LAWLZ. The Patriots won all three Superbowls by a mere field goal in all of them (3 points), then Spygate come into the public eye & the Patriots (18-1 ROFLMFAO) haven't won since.

You enjoy that trainwreck you've got there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City