Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City vs San Francisco
New York 310 56.36%
San Francisco 240 43.64%
Voters: 550. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 03:31 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,109,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Personally, I'll take my day trips to NYC or DC over one to Palo Alto, TBH. May be an east coast v a west coast thing - dunno?
So NYC and DC are "suburban/exurban" areas now? Reading comprehension, how does it work?

Apologies for being snarky, I'm sure you're rather articulate otherwise.

To be fair though, the ability to day trip to NYC and DC is definitely a WC vs EC thing, for obvious reasons (the most obvious of those reasons being that those cities are on the east coast )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 03:33 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Love how this has turned into Philly vs SF...
Well, as I see it, my post still pertains to the OP: One of NYC's advantages over SF is that NYers can take day trips to Philly.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:38 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
So NYC and DC are "suburban/exurban" areas now? Reading comprehension, how does it work?

To be fair though, the ability to day trip to NYC and DC is definitely a WC vs EC thing, for obvious reasons (the most obvious of those reasons being that those cities are on the east coast )
Exactly.

Quote:
Personally, I'll take my day trips to NYC or DC over one to Palo Alto, TBH. May be an east coast v a west coast thing - dunno?
I would hardly call NYC or DC "day" trips. Weekend trips sure. But then just as quickly and for similar cost someone from the Bay Area can hop down to LA (albeit by flight rather than train). I've actually gone from NYC to Philly and vice versa. Drinking was involved in each occasion and so was either a hotel room or a friend's couch. Not so much a "day" trip.

I think you're missing the point. Day trips for the Bay Area? Hard to beat - the examples listed which you selectively edited out were such things as Napa/Sonoma, Carmel/Big Sur, etc etc. Weekend trips allow for even wider range - Tahoe, Yosemite, LA/San Diego as mentioned, Palm Springs, Santa Barbara, perhaps Vegas if that floats your boat or CO Rockies, etc etc.

The comparison to Palo Alto was to other suburbs in Philly. There is no comparison. There is enough reason for SF residents to make a day trip out of Palo Alto. It's not like people in Philly are going to NYC or DC *every* single weekend, and it's likely residents there are like residents anywhere else and are looking for quick/cheap/easy escapes out of the city center, as well (that would not include NYC or DC, as those are expensive trips filled with potential hassles). What is one to do in Ardmore, Wayne, or Haddonfield? Some of the Bay Area suburbs have quite a bit to do, relative to counterparts in other cities.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:39 PM

696 posts, read 1,170,085 times
New York City is HUGE compared to San Francisco.

Are we talking Manhattan vs San Francisco here??

Old 11-27-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:

Instead of apologizing for being snarky, why not just resist the temptation?

When it comes to day trips, I don't exist in an abstract world that limits me to suburban/exurban options. If some posters want to limit their sights in that manner for the sake of a meaningless pi$$ing match, they should of course feel free. My posts reflect how I actually live out here in the real world.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 11-27-2014 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: Grammar correction . . . again (sigh)

Old 11-27-2014, 04:08 PM

^^^

I think it might have been the lead in the Philly groundwater. yikes

Old 11-27-2014, 04:13 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,109,900 times
Quote:
When it comes to day trips, I don't exist in an abstract world that limits me to suburban/exurban options. If some posters want to limit their sights in that manner for the sake of a meaningless pi$$ing match, they should of course feel free. My posts reflect how I actually live out here in the real world.
Well that just sets up every thread to go like this:

Poll question: Which city best meets this critera?

Option A = Denver
Option B = Minneapolis

Answer = Paris

Granted, that is basically how every thread eventually goes anyway lololol but I mean why ever limit yourself to the actual discussion at hand? We live in the real world after all where options are near limitless. I actually find bringing up something that is not part of the current discussion (as ridiculous as it may be) to be somewhat more abstract.

Old 11-27-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
I would hardly call NYC or DC "day" trips. Weekend trips sure. But then just as quickly and for similar cost someone from the Bay Area can hop down to LA (albeit by flight rather than train). I've actually gone from NYC to Philly and vice versa. Drinking was involved in each occasion and so was either a hotel room or a friend's couch. Not so much a "day" trip.
You sound young - dunno? My trips no longer involve excessive drinking and/or crashing on couches.

I've made day trips to NYC to see a matinee. In fact, I have two friends who routinely do this almost every Wednesday via NJ transit. Talking about the ultimate "day trip" - my neighbor commuted to Manhattan for over 25 years before retiring back in January. A lot more is possible when one stays sober.

Old 11-27-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Well that just sets up every thread to go like this:

Poll question: Which city best meets this critera?

Option A = Denver
Option B = Minneapolis

Answer = Paris

Granted, that is basically how every thread eventually goes anyway lololol but I mean why ever limit yourself to the actual discussion at hand? We live in the real world after all where options are near limitless. I actually find bringing up something that is not part of the current discussion (as ridiculous as it may be) to be somewhat more abstract.
Stick with it if works for you.

Old 11-27-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
You sound young - dunno? My trips no longer involve excessive drinking and/or crashing on couches.

I've made day trips to NYC to see a matinee. In fact, I have two friends who routinely do this almost every Wednesday via NJ transit.
Young as in not married/tied down with kids? Yes. Excessive drinking? Occasionally, I'm only human. But even so, if I were simply going into the city for a show or dinner, drinks will be involved (not in excess), and I can assure you there wouldn't be any steps that involve dragging my azz to Penn Station and then returning all the way home to some point in Greater Philadelphia.

Likewise, if I loved to visit museums, and I do, even with reciprocal, it's not necessarily worth it to me to hop down for the day to visit the PMA. You're essentially paying $100-200 (or spending a long time in a train if it's not Acela) to visit a museum only, and one that is not quite on par with what you have in your city across multiple options. Partying, sight seeing, a trip to Reading Market or the Italian area in South Philly, or a trek out to western burbs to visit family would have to be a part of the trip to make it worth it, and then you're well beyond "day trip" from NYC to Philly. Definitely more of a sparing weekend trip.

(funny how we're essentially killing any points Philly may have for keeping its people busy/entertained by talking about weekly treks to Manhattan, or daily commutes for a job...)

Quote:
Talking about the ultimate "day trip" - my neighbor commuted to Manhattan for over 25 years before retiring back in January. A lot more is possible when one stays sober.
I'm sure that's very typical

And if it is, well then, I feel sorry for Philadelphia (from a jobs and a culture/entertainment perspective). It truly isn't on a Boston, SF, or Chicago's level then, as each of these cities are the "New York" of their respective areas. I.e., like people in Philly trek up to NYC for shopping/theater/culture, people in New England trek to Boston, people in much of the Midwest trek to Chicago, and people in NorCal trek to San Francisco.

Once again - win (NYC, Chicago, SF, Boston, LA); loss (Philly)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City