Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City vs San Francisco
New York 310 56.36%
San Francisco 240 43.64%
Voters: 550. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 05:28 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
I feel sorry for Philadelphia (from a jobs and a culture/entertainment perspective). It truly isn't on a Boston, SF, or Chicago's level then, as each of these cities are the "New York" of their respective areas. I.e., like people in Philly trek up to NYC for shopping/theater/culture . . .
Not clear how you reach your conclusions. Any bright person realizes that Philadelphians do not need to trek north for employment or cultural outings. I am crediting you with sufficient knowledge than to honestly do so. By representing my posts as saying as much, however, it would almost appear as if you're trolling. So, to be clear: When it comes to day trips, NYC and DC are pretty nice (and doable) options to have for those of us here in Philly. And they beat Palo Alto in my book.

I am not posting to score meaningless points in some juvenile "my city's better than your city" debate but am instead sharing a bit of my personal experience since moving here. If that's your game, however, then sally forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 05:36 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,598 times
^^^Yea, but you missed something here. NOWHERE did ANYONE say that the best day trips for those in the Bay Area are to Palo Alto (or that Palo Alto is a typical "day trip" to begin with).

I think it shows your ignorance that:

a) you missed A LOT of context (multiple times as RadicalAtheist even joked about this and you failed to get even THAT)

b) IF that is your interpretation of the posts above, then even with limited knowledge of CA/Bay Area you should call into question why wine country, LA, CA Coast (eg Carmel where Pebble Beach is, or Santa Barbara, among other towns), or ski country/Yosemite weren't examples used for day trips (when in fact they were).

Palo Alto was used as an example to compare to suburbs in greater Philly (since that was what the bulk of the recent offshoot of this thread was about - area connectivity and walkability). Palo Alto was NEVER compared as a day trip like NYC/DC are being described by you as day trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Not clear how you reach your conclusions. Any bright person realizes that Philadelphians do not need to trek north for employment or cultural outings. I am crediting you with sufficient knowledge than to honestly do so. By representing my posts as saying as much, however, it would almost appear as if you're trolling. So, to be clear: When it comes to day trips, NYC and DC are pretty nice (and doable) options to have for those of us here in Philly. And they beat Palo Alto in my book.

I am not posting to score meaningless points in some juvenile "my city's better than your city" debate but am instead sharing a bit of my personal experience since moving here. If that's your game, however, then sally forth.
1. But you did declare that's what Philadelphians do! You provided examples of friends that make WEEKLY treks to NYC for matinees. And you provided another example of a friend who commuted to NYC DAILY for work for 25 years!!

Is it that lead still? Are you seriously that forgetful? If Philadelphians don't need trek up to Manhattan for work or outings, you should consider rephrasing yourself to make it sound more like what it is in reality - it's a nice OPTION that people CAN and occasionally DO take advantage of. But by providing your examples, you made it sound like there's nothing to do in Philly and the jobs are all in New York.

2. This is a typical C-D VERSUS thread. It's not meant to be mature or eye opening. Maybe try another site if that's your goal or intention (or perhaps Philly/New York centric C-D sub-forums where people are asking for legitimate advice or anecdotal experiences).

I'm seriously moving on from this silliness...like I said before, there must be some lead in your Philly drinking water.

Last edited by anonelitist; 11-27-2014 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: the quoted post added "person" prompting me to need to change my own post

Old 11-27-2014, 08:57 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
The OP asked which city do people personally prefer--didn't even care if there was a criteria. This sort of makes it pointless to have any arguments, no?

Old 11-27-2014, 10:27 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Well, as I see it, my post still pertains to the OP: One of NYC's advantages over SF is that NYers can take day trips to Philly.
This is true Philadelphia, despite what some posters would have you think, is a world-class city with tons of attractions and dense, walkable neighborhoods/suburbs. Hell, I'm living in one right now.

So put another feather in NYC's cap over San Francisco--you have a top 5 metro in Philadelphia literally 90 minutes away for a day trip. And that's if you ever get bored with NYC. I know people who never even leave their borough, much less the city.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:32 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Top 5 pfff. Nobody in NY would go there for a trip. I'd rather have Napa Valley or Carmel close by than Philly.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Top 5 pfff. Nobody in NY would go there for a trip. I'd rather have Napa Valley or Carmel close by than Philly.
Sounds like a biased personal opinion from someone out in California. But hey, I have mine too--I'll take a cheesesteak over wine any day. And tons of New Yorkers go to Philadelphia for trips. And yes, it is a top 5 metro.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The OP asked which city do people personally prefer--didn't even care if there was a criteria. This sort of makes it pointless to have any arguments, no?
No, because arguing can be fun sometimes. Especially hearing some of the arguments

Old 11-27-2014, 10:48 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,598 times
^^^Agreed

And I love both cheese steaks and fine wine!

Old 11-27-2014, 10:56 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,109,900 times
What are your top 5 metros 'qworldorder'? Pretty sure the general consensus (on here as well) is that they are NYC, LA, CHI, SF & DC. With Philly being somewhere in the bottom half of the top 10.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
What are your top 5 metros 'qworldorder'? Pretty sure the general consensus (on here as well) is that they are NYC, LA, CHI, SF & DC. With Philly being somewhere in the bottom half of the top 10.
Objectively? NYC, LA, CHI, DC, 3-way tie for 5th between SF, Philly and Boston. And if I HAVE to choose a 5th, I'm going for Philly. But my opinion might be biased, I understand--I live around here. I just feel that Philly gets dumped on needlessly. SF is a grand city, and I understand the arguments for it (per-capita wealth, charm, the whole Bay Area interconnectivity deal). Boston, as well. Objectively, I really do think these cities are tied, with each having strengths and weaknesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City