Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City vs San Francisco
New York 310 56.36%
San Francisco 240 43.64%
Voters: 550. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 11:48 AM

12 posts, read 14,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, every bumf*ck in the world comes to NYC--SF only wants winners.
Why would I take you seriously? Moments ago you claimed Tesla is more of a 'status symbol today' than other more established carmakers including the prestigious legacy makers Feruccio Lamborghini and Enzo Ferrari. Tesla is a joke.

Last edited by Northeast Uber Urbanist; 11-29-2014 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 12:04 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeast Uber Urbanist View Post
Why would I take you seriously? Moments ago you claimed Tesla is more of a status symbol 'these days' than other carmakers including the prestigious legacy makers Feruccio Lamborghini and Enzo Ferrari.
Yes, a big thank you to those old masters, but this is now:
Tesla Model S Is Ranked Best Overall Car by Consumer Reports (2) - Businessweek

Quote:
Tesla is a joke.
Yes, they are laughing their way into upscale homes across the nation.

And btw, what groundbreaking major automaker is based in, designs in and builds cars in the NY area? I cant seem to think of any right now.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:28 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
Quote:
You are much more diplomatic than I am when it comes to Northeasterners expecting the rest of us to worship their golden calf aka New York.

They arent aware that once you get to the other side of the Appalachians, no one cares.

But this^ does NOT invalidate this:

In 2014, NYC is less powerful, less
influential and less important than it's been
in a century. The unstoppable rise of not
only SF, but also DC, Houston, Dallas,
Seattle etc all eat away at NYCs clout.
munch. munch. munch.

Not to mention other massive cities like Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, Miami, Atlanta etc.

New York is the largest, but it does not dominate the country-at all.

And so I can understand the misguided misconceptions to the contrary, in reality, NYis one of many very large urban agglomerations.
I agree with what you're saying. NYC, and to a lesser extent, LA, are losing their power/influence, and population. The high COL in both cities is driving people away to smaller cities like Atlanta, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Houston, and San Francisco. A lot of business is flooding those regions and giving them more influence and popularity in the US and the world than they once had before. NYC and LA are both very large and influential still, but not as much as they once were. People are realizing that unless they're wealthy, it's unrealistic to live there.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:38 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:

And btw, what groundbreaking major automaker is based in, designs in and builds cars in the NY area? I cant seem to think of any right now.
Plenty of carmakers are based in the NY area. Cadillac's HQ office is now in SoHo (just moved from Detroit). Most of the European brands, including BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, have North American HQ in the NY area. GM, Ford and Chrysler have always had a Manhattan presence, mostly for the finance and branding types. Never heard of the GM Building or Chrysler Building?

But I don't even understand this line of reasoning. Detroit is, without question, the auto capital of the planet, and the unquestioned global center for automotive innovation, so, according to you, Detroit is the #1 city on the planet?

And Tesla isn't even in SF or the SF metro. It's in the San Jose metro area. It would be like NYC taking credit for a Philly company. Tesla has nothing to do with SF city or metro.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:44 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I agree with what you're saying. NYC, and to a lesser extent, LA, are losing their power/influence, and population.
No, the opposite is true.

Both NYC and LA have higher growth rates than the nation as a whole. Their share of the national economic pie is growing, not shrinking.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:09 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Europe and the Northeast are both yesterday's news. This is now our world, you just live in it.
HAHA. No. Making the next app that counts how many times your dog ****s a day isn't controlling the world. Wall Street controls the world.

Quote:
Of course, New York attracts tacky, trashy drama queens-that makes for great tv.
Haha. Sounds like you are describing yourself to a T.

Quote:
Envy much?
Haha. Envy? No. I don't envy a car that would lose in a race to a $30,000 Mitsubishi Evo.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:28 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Plenty of carmakers are based in the NY area. Cadillac's HQ office is now in SoHo (just moved from Detroit). Most of the European brands, including BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, have North American HQ in the NY area. GM, Ford and Chrysler have always had a Manhattan presence, mostly for the finance and branding types. Never heard of the GM Building or Chrysler Building?

But I don't even understand this line of reasoning. Detroit is, without question, the auto capital of the planet, and the unquestioned global center for automotive innovation, so, according to you, Detroit is the #1 city on the planet?

And Tesla isn't even in SF or the SF metro. It's in the San Jose metro area. It would be like NYC taking credit for a Philly company. Tesla has nothing to do with SF city or metro.
Lol. Hilarious. His head is so filled with obsessions of San Francisco and how "important" it is globally and domestically that he couldn't even remember that one of the United States' most iconic structures, and one more iconic than anything in the San Francisco region, is called the CHRYSLER Building.

True that Cadillac is now based in NYC. More prestigious and sought after cars than any turd that Tesla pops out. For any Tesla you see driving down the street you see 30 Cadillac's.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:45 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
True that Cadillac is now based in NYC. More prestigious and sought after cars than any turd that Tesla pops out. For any Tesla you see driving down the street you see 30 Cadillac's.
What the hell are you people back there stuffing into your turkeys?

Tesla gets near-perfect score from Consumer Reports - May. 9, 2013

And the 11.6 quarter mile is only going to drop, as the relatively new technology and signature design is now flush with increased demand.

"Cadillac is more prestigious than Tesla". I just wanted see if that sentence could withstand my auto-correct.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
HAHA. No. Making the next app that counts how many times your dog ****s a day isn't controlling the world. Wall Street controls the world.
We already destroyed NYCs hold on media--tv, music, print, all in a shambles.

Finance is next.

Quote:
Haha. Sounds like you are describing yourself to a T.
No, I dont watch shows like that like you apparently do so yeah...

Quote:
Haha. Envy? No. I don't envy a car that would lose in a race to a $30,000 Mitsubishi Evo.
Street racing is so passé.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

Yes, I did enjoy your trip into yester year but once again, that was then-and this is NOW:

Detroit fears of losing carmaking to Silicon Valley

The Bay Area is now a major player in automotive engineering and design r&d. Every major auto maker in the world has an important presence in the Valley.

And unlike NYC, which is a regional outpost for companies based elsewhere, we actually manufacture cars.

The most desired auto brand in the world at that.

wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City