Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City vs San Francisco
New York 310 56.36%
San Francisco 240 43.64%
Voters: 550. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 09:25 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
In fact, no major city is really in New York's shadow--why would they be?
If you just replace "no" with "every", then your sentence makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 09:41 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
That's not true. San Francisco, Boston, Philadelphia and even Washington DC, Seattle and Chicago do try in many ways to emulate NYC. But there are some cities that are fine being just what they are. Los Angeles and the rest of the sunbelt cities are completely different in structure and the like, and are just fine with that. Heck, even Miami tries to emulate LA, even though it's going through a lot of construction in its downtown. And New Orleans is perfectly fine with its own identity instead of trying to become another NYC.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:20 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,174,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
What Boston is to New York is what San Francisco is to Los Angeles.

No comparison , New York trumps San Francisco in every aspect.

San francisco does have a good natural setting though.
Great analogy

Old 11-30-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post

But, it's not like Philly is where Penn grads even matriculate to in the greatest numbers, even though that is where the school is. I wouldn't be shocked if more Penn grads ended up in the Bay Area. I bet I could dig that stat up.
Waiting.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:21 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I agree with you that NYC is really overrated, but saying that SF is more diverse and integrated than NYC is laughable and false. SF Bay Area also has many "underperforming, dirty" ghettoes; in fact, SF is probably just as filthy and smelly as NYC is. And NYC has the number one economy out of any city in the US, closely followed by LA, and second in the world after Tokyo. So no, SF's economy is not better. San Francisco, being a smaller city, also has less things to do than not only NYC, but also Los Angeles and Chicago, and even less to do than other cities like Miami, Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington DC, possibly Seattle as well. The food in SF, while good, is nowhere near the diversity you can get in NYC, LA, or Chicago, and the quality isn't quite as good either. I'll give you that SF has better Chinese food and maybe seafood, but that's where it ends. SF is not more wealthy or sophisticated than NYC at all, and it's nowhere NEAR as international as NYC, LA, or even Miami and Washington DC.

I agree that NYC is not the end all be all place, but for that matter, neither is San Francisco. In many of the things listed above, San Francisco isn't even second place (after NYC).
You need more research, you are incorrect on nearly every point you tried to make. I'm starting to think you've never been to San Francisco with some of the things you say. Either that or it's just shock value !

Old 11-30-2014, 11:41 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Waiting.

San Francisco, 3,000 miles away, appears to have the 2nd largest concentration of Ivy League grads in the nation.
Quote:

Ivy League Schools, Top 3 Alumni Concentrations

Harvard
1 Boston
2 New York
3 San Francisco

Yale
1 New York
2 San Francisco
3 Boston

Princeton
1 New York
2 San Francisco
3 Washington DC

Brown
1 New York
2 Boston
3 Providence

Columbia
1 New York
2 San Francisco
3 Washington DC

Penn
1 Philadelphia
2 New York
3 Washington DC

Dartmouth
1 Boston
2 New York
3 Washington DC

Cornell
1 New York
2 Ithaca
3 San Francisco

Related to that is data from this very interesting
article that is actually about LA, but reveals
extremely valuable insight on the geography of
where the alumni of our most prestigious schools
live.

Inside LA
brilliant.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
San Francisco, 3,000 miles away, appears to have the 2nd largest concentration of Ivy League grads in the nation.

brilliant.
AND Philadelphia is number one for Penn grads, which is what was being disputed...your point?

Also, NYC has the number one concentration of Ivy League grads. So back to NYC > SF, yea.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:53 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
AND Philadelphia is number one for Penn grads...your point?
My point: Who cares. SF is a top destination of grads from Harvard, Princeton and Yale.

Oh, but Penn loves SF tho.
Wharton San Francisco | University of Pennsylvania

Old 11-30-2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
My point: Who cares. SF is a top destination of grads from Harvard, Princeton and Yale.

Oh, but Penn loves SF tho.
Wharton San Francisco | University of Pennsylvania
Lol but it's not THE top destination for grads from Harvard, Princeton and Yale. NYC is ahead of it for those three schools, and every other school on that list. So back to NYC vs SF, put another feather in NYCs cap--NYC is apparently smarter

Old 11-30-2014, 11:58 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,641 times
Quote:
Lol but it's not THE top destination for grads from Harvard, Princeton and Yale. NYC is ahead of it for those three schools, and every other school on that list. So back to NYC vs SF, put another feather in NYCs cap--NYC is apparently smarter
So everyone who goes to either Harvard, Princeton, or Yale is automatically smarter than everyone else? That makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City