Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City vs San Francisco
New York 310 56.36%
San Francisco 240 43.64%
Voters: 550. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 07:19 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Defnitely NYC by a land slide.
Sorry son, but in 2014 New York is alright, but not really as nice as SF.

Quote:
More diversity
Nope. The Bay Area is both more diverse and more integrated.

Quote:
More vibrant
SF is plenty vibrant, thank you very much.

Quote:
Better architecture
You are entitled to an opinion.

Quote:
Better economy
Not even close. SFs economy is much better.

Quote:
Better location
Nope. Manhattan is surrounded by hundreds of square miles of underwhelming, underperforming, economically depressed ghettos. SFs location and surroundings are much better.

Quote:
Better colleges
Cal and Stanford beat them all.

Quote:
Better mass transit
Yay, too bad outside of Manhattan, there's nothing of note anyone wants to see, except maybe the airport.

Quote:
More to do things to do
Better cuisine
Nope. SF has more than enough things to do and pound for pound better food.

Quote:
More international city
Nope. The Bay Area is just as foreign born, about 30%-yawns

Quote:
More famous
Who cares? SF is richer and more sophisticated overall.

Quote:
More urban
Most of that is boring and/or unlivable by our standards.

Quote:
Better suburbs
Prove it.

Quote:
More down to earth people
i.e. More underwhelming, undereducated and unambitious folks.

Im just saying, please get off of my phone with this foolishness.

SF is in no city's shadow, especially New Pork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 07:23 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
In fact, no major city is really in New York's shadow--why would they be?

Old 11-30-2014, 07:52 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,389,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Our education system isn't top of the list. Neither is our quality of life, public transportation, or health care. SO while we do have best of the best of SOME things, certainly not all.
Our healthcare is #1. American Universities produce the best physicians in the world. People come from all over the world to the US for medical treatment.

Public transit- Our freeway system is pretty good and gas is cheap, so there you go.

Education- Sure we may get beat by Korea in K-12, but American colleges and universities are the best in the world bar none. More people come to the US to go to school than anywhere else. The best researchers.

Quality of life- Work hard, don't suck and it'll be good.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:57 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
I don't know, it would be hard to say. I think New York would be the overall better city to me, however the big downside is that the winters are absolutely brutal and it lacks the scenic beauty of the West Coast.
NYC winters are not that bad man, I lived in Long Island for a few year it gets cold but you got used it to, especially if you get a nice winter coat... feels good when you are drunk. I love cold weather, just not windy. Plus it gets cold in San Fran at night.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:08 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Our healthcare is #1. American Universities produce the best physicians in the world. People come from all over the world to the US for medical treatment.

Public transit- Our freeway system is pretty good and gas is cheap, so there you go.

Education- Sure we may get beat by Korea in K-12, but American colleges and universities are the best in the world bar none. More people come to the US to go to school than anywhere else. The best researchers.

Quality of life- Work hard, don't suck and it'll be good.
The fact that you talk about gas prices and freeways goes to show that our public transportation is bad. BTW--public transit would be buses, subways, etc. Our trains here are nowhere NEAR as advanced as they are in Japan, and even China is starting to get to that level. European mass transit, as well as mass transit in Japan, is far better and cleaner than what we have.

Education:How Does the U.S. Compare to Other Countries in STEM Education? | Level Playing Field Institute
U.S. scores stagnant, other nations pass us by in latest international test | EdSource

Quality of life: Paternity/Maternity leave and vacation time is much higher in other industrialized countries, besides Japan (which is worse than ours), and Canada's is barely better than ours. There's far more crime in the USA than there is in other industrialized nations. And most other industrialized countries, if not all, are cleaner than the US, at least in terms of cities. Now look at this list (Top 17 Cities With The Highest Quality Of Life | Cities Journal). Only two cities out of 17 are American, and both are astronomically expensive. Besides, those two cities on the list aren't even top 10.

Health Care: Our health care system, compared to the other industrialized countries, is a joke.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
NYC winters are not that bad man, I lived in Long Island for a few year it gets cold but you got used it to, especially if you get a nice winter coat... feels good when you are drunk. I love cold weather, just not windy. Plus it gets cold in San Fran at night.
For some people--myself included--East Coast winters suck. I have SAD, and I'd imagine the poster you responded to has something similar if not the same. The snow, 3 months of cold, and oftentimes, cloudy weather gets old and depressing after a while. The trees are ugly and bare, the snow eventually just becomes one big ugly gray dirty pile at the side of the road, and even for those who enjoy the cold, they usually get tired of it after January 1, hence why so many move to warmer climates. Besides, the Northeast does often get really windy in the winter, and that's not fun.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

You are entitled to an opinion.

Nope. Manhattan is surrounded by hundreds of square miles of underwhelming, underperforming, economically depressed ghettos. SFs location and surroundings are much better.

Yay, too bad outside of Manhattan, there's nothing of note anyone wants to see, except maybe the airport.

Prove it.

I agree with you that NYC is really overrated, but saying that SF is more diverse and integrated than NYC is laughable and false. SF Bay Area also has many "underperforming, dirty" ghettoes; in fact, SF is probably just as filthy and smelly as NYC is. And NYC has the number one economy out of any city in the US, closely followed by LA, and second in the world after Tokyo. So no, SF's economy is not better. San Francisco, being a smaller city, also has less things to do than not only NYC, but also Los Angeles and Chicago, and even less to do than other cities like Miami, Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington DC, possibly Seattle as well. The food in SF, while good, is nowhere near the diversity you can get in NYC, LA, or Chicago, and the quality isn't quite as good either. I'll give you that SF has better Chinese food and maybe seafood, but that's where it ends. SF is not more wealthy or sophisticated than NYC at all, and it's nowhere NEAR as international as NYC, LA, or even Miami and Washington DC.

I agree that NYC is not the end all be all place, but for that matter, neither is San Francisco. In many of the things listed above, San Francisco isn't even second place (after NYC).

Old 11-30-2014, 08:23 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Okay but as a city it's certainly New York by far.

Quote:
Yes but it doesn't compare to NYC. it's own a completely different level. To think that a little city like SF can hold it's own against NYC is laughable. If Chicago and Los Angeles can't even compete with New York in terms of vibrancy than what on earth would make you think SF stands a chance.

Quote:
How are you so sure about that?

Quote:
Did you forget that it's located near 4 different states and is in close promixity to Philadelphia, Boston, and the Nations capitol. The Bay area has no answer for that. What's so great about being so close to Sacramento?

Quote:
I guess you never heard of Yale and Columbia University when usually ranked high lists every year. Not too mention the other universities in the New York Tri-state area that are pretty respectable like Rutgers, NYU, and Saint John's University.

National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges

Quote:
I'll would rather have the option of having 24-hour subway and commuter rail service in the city and the New York suburbs.

Quote:
SF wins when it comes to Asian and Mexican cuisine cuisine but New york wins with everything else. You can find a New York style pizza shop all over the country. How often to you find SF cuisine outside of California.

Quote:
Okay, I'll give you that one.
Quote:

Well since you a poster known for having swiss bank accounts, I'll take you're word for.

Quote:

I know you boost SF like there's no tomorrow but do you really believe that SF or the Bay Area is on the same level as NYC? SF is more comparable to cities like Washington DC and Boston.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:28 PM

^^Not even. I can't speak for Boston yet since I haven't been, but I found Washington DC FAR more impressive than San Francisco. SF is more naturally beautiful, but other than that:
-it was stinky
-it was dirty
-the people were unbelievably rude and arrogant
-there were too many hipsters
-it wasn't as "big city feeling" as I expected

Old 11-30-2014, 09:01 PM

696 posts, read 1,170,085 times
What Boston is to New York is what San Francisco is to Los Angeles.

No comparison , New York trumps San Francisco in every aspect.

San francisco does have a good natural setting though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City