Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City vs San Francisco
New York 310 56.36%
San Francisco 240 43.64%
Voters: 550. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 08:33 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, but, but, but "that's not fair"(crying and whiny) because Manhattan is half the physical size of SF( sound familiar?)

On the other hand, I dont mind because it exposes the fact that you cant beat SF unless you cut out 6.6 Million residents in the outer boroughs.

Per Capita Income, 2013
Inner Bay Area
Marin County $97,124
San Francisco County $84,356
San Mateo County $79,893
Santa Clara County $70,157
Contra Costa County $63,403
Alameda County $55,338

New York City
Manhattan Borough $121,632
Staten Island Borough $51,328
Queens Borough $44,966
Brooklyn Borough $34,873
Bronx Borough $31,762

It's stats like these that lead me to believe that my previous assertion is 100% True: The outer boroughs is the urban equivalent to the Inland Empire. Massive, but economically useless.

and last but least...
Philadelphia County, PA $42,155

BEA: News Release: Local Area Personal Income, 2013

Wow!! That really puts things into perspective-San Francisco is so average compared to Manhattan.

When did you become such the NYC booster?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 09:54 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
How so? I've conceded that on a per capita basis, SF and the Bay Area are wealthier on average. My whole argument has been that when it comes to total wealth/education, NYC blows the Bay out the water. Also, on a per capita basis, Manhattan is wealthier than SF and anywhere in the Bay. There are zip codes/communities in the NYC CSA that are wealthier than anything in the Bay. So my argument is really two fold. One, bigger is better when it comes to wealth and education, and NYC wins that battle easily. Two, if one is looking for per capita wealth, rich enclaves if you will, NYC has richer enclaves than SF. SF and the Bay are wealthier on average but NYC has specific areas that are wealthier, such as Manhattan, than anything in the Bay.

And yes, bigger doesn't always equal better, but in this case, I absolutely think it does. Everything SF/The Bay can do, NYC can do at least triple fold.
Not all of Manhattan. Bits and parts. Same as SF.
Now regarding the bigger is better. Absolutely not true and you know that. It's all subjective and we know there are many things SF excels in and is different but great. So all this absolute BS all the NY boosters pull just is so thinly veiled it's silly.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:10 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Not all of Manhattan. Bits and parts. Same as SF.
Now regarding the bigger is better. Absolutely not true and you know that. It's all subjective and we know there are many things SF excels in and is different but great. So all this absolute BS all the NY boosters pull just is so thinly veiled it's silly.
All of Manhattan, collectively, is wealthier than SF. Are there ghettoes? Sure, same as SF. But the bits and parts of Manhattan are wealthier than SF as a whole--absolutely true.

And it's not subjective as to which city is superior in the important metrics, when there are a myriad of objective facts supporting the claim that NYC > SF. The only subjectivity is personal preference. If you prefer nature, a smaller urban experience and more racially balanced suburban areas, great, more power to you. I can say that a prefer Philadelphia to NYC, and no one will bat an eye. Doesn't mean that I don't concede NYC is a superior city/metro. This is America, pal. When done right, bigger is always better

Old 12-02-2014, 10:12 PM

Still waiting on those census tracts that show northern SF is wealthier than an equivalent area in Manhattan, 18Montclair...

Old 12-02-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
All of Manhattan, collectively, is wealthier than SF. Are there ghettoes? Sure, same as SF. But the bits and parts of Manhattan are wealthier than SF as a whole--absolutely true.

And it's not subjective as to which city is superior in the important metrics, when there are a myriad of objective facts supporting the claim that NYC > SF. The only subjectivity is personal preference. If you prefer nature, a smaller urban experience and more racially balanced suburban areas, great, more power to you. I can say that a prefer Philadelphia to NYC, and no one will bat an eye. Doesn't mean that I don't concede NYC is a superior city/metro. This is America, pal. When done right, bigger is always better
The northern half of SF. Will be significantly wealthier than the city as a whole over a similar footprint.
Depends on what you consider the important metrics. Bigger is always bigger but not always better.
Check the SFvChicagovNYC thread for a money no object where would you rather live vote for confirmation

Old 12-02-2014, 10:42 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,914 times
Quote:
Still waiting on those census tracts that show northern SF is wealthier than an equivalent area in Manhattan, 18Montclair...
We could bump this thread from now until 2018 and he'll still act as if he'd never seen this post. Or he'll reply with some sort of Bay Area stat that shows no relevance to what you specifically asked (because if I recalled this was a claim he made right?). But you know .... That's just his way of saying "I'm making this stuff up as I go!"

Old 12-02-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
The northern half of SF. Will be significantly wealthier than the city as a whole over a similar footprint.
Depends on what you consider the important metrics. Bigger is always bigger but not always better.
Check the SFvChicagovNYC thread for a money no object where would you rather live vote for confirmation
The northern half of SF is what? Wealthier than the rest of SF? Wealthier then all of Manhattan? Wealthier than some of Manhattan? Please clarify.

And I could dig just as many NYC > SF/any other city threads to prove your "vote of confirmation" point. It's a lazy line of reasoning, so I'll be lazy as well. Just stay on topic and look at this popular thread for your vote of confirmation

Old 12-02-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
We could bump this thread from now until 2018 and he'll still act as if he'd never seen this post. Or he'll reply with some sort of Bay Area stat that shows no relevance to what you specifically asked (because if I recalled this was a claim he made right?). But you know .... That's just his way of saying "I'm making this stuff up as I go!"

Lol I'm beginning to suspect you're right. He's very evasive and misleading. And when that fails, he just resorts to silly name calling and dumb smilies. Still, I am entertained

Old 12-02-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
The northern half of SF is what? Wealthier than the rest of SF? Wealthier then all of Manhattan? Wealthier than some of Manhattan? Please clarify.

And I could dig just as many NYC > SF/any other city threads to prove your "vote of confirmation" point. It's a lazy line of reasoning, so I'll be lazy as well. Just stay on topic and look at this popular thread for your vote of confirmation
You've sliced n diced NY up and down to MAnhattan. So we need to slice SF in half , which I would guess would be 50% or more wealthier than the city as a whole, but who cares, overall SF beat NY at the city, MSA, and CSA levels even if Manhattan has higher highs. As you say, those facts cannot be debated or looked at subjectively.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
You've sliced n diced NY up and down to MAnhattan. So we need to slice SF in half , which I would guess would be 50% or more wealthier than the city as a whole, but who cares, overall SF beat NY at the city, MSA, and CSA levels even if Manhattan has higher highs. As you say, those facts cannot be debated or looked at subjectively.
Guessing is never a good look. I'll ask you like I've asked 18Montclair--show me some stats. And don't you think Manhattan has parts that are up to 50% wealthier than the rest of Manhattan as a whole (SoHo, Tribeca, etc.)?

And Manhattan has much higher highs. As do the surrounding wealthy suburbs in Long Island, NJ, and CT. Those are facts. SF doesn't beat NY at the city, MSA or CSA level. The only thing SF does better than NYC is distribute its wealth more evenly. But as far as total wealth? This isn't even a debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City