Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City vs San Francisco
New York 310 56.36%
San Francisco 240 43.64%
Voters: 550. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 05:05 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
No, he cherry picked in his comparisons by doing MSA/CSA vs city proper.
NOPE. You want to have your cake and you want to eat it too. On the one hand you complain about how unfair the pop difference is to NYC(cry me a river) and then when I equalize the population by using the entire CSA, or MSA or Urban Area, MORE WHINING BECAUSE NYC LOSES BY ANY AND ALL METRICS.

Get over it.

Quote:
And SF loses in per capita to Manhattan, which was my point--NYC wins in raw numbers, and if you want to cherry pick for a per capita argument, Manhattan wins the per capita debate, as well, despite being smaller.
Actually if I divide The City of SF to the commensurate physical area of Manhattan, the Northern Half of SF is RICHER than Manhattan by any income measurement.

But even without doing that, SF already beats Manhattan as far as median household income and median household income.

But please continue, as I am thoroughly amused by your backtracking and goal post moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 05:19 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,174,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
NOPE. You want to have your cake and you want to eat it too. On the one hand you complain about how unfair the pop difference is to NYC(cry me a river) and then when I equalize the population by using the entire CSA, or MSA or Urban Area, MORE WHINING BECAUSE NYC LOSES BY ANY AND ALL METRICS.

Get over it.

Actually if I divide The City of SF to the commensurate physical area of Manhattan, the Northern Half of SF is RICHER than Manhattan by any income measurement.

But even without doing that, SF already beats Manhattan as far as median household income and median household income.

But please continue, as I am thoroughly amused by your backtracking and goal post moving.
I never complained about the population difference, one. Two, by "equalizing" the population, you are creating an area of comparison that is grossly imbalanced and completely invalid. Do you not see how 10,000 sq miles of area, most of it suburban, compared to only 304 sq miles, most of it urban, is a horrendous comparison? Talk about trying to have cake and eat it too.

As far as goal post moving, lmao--you are the king of obfuscation. City of SF one minute, CSA the next minute--whatever suits your needs, even if it leads to invalid comparisons. Don't get mad when I play the same game with Manhattan, and WIN BY ANY AND ALL METRICS. But, yes, do entertain with showing how the northern half of SF is richer than all of Manhattan. I'm sure this will lead to me having to easily shoot this down, as well.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Stutter?

And SF loses in mean household income, mean family income, median nonfamily income, mean nonfamily income, per capita income, median earnings for workers, and mean earnings. Your point?

Old 12-02-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I never complained about the population difference, one. Two, by "equalizing" the population, you are creating an area of comparison that is grossly imbalanced and completely invalid. Do you not see how 10,000 sq miles of area, most of it suburban, compared to only 304 sq miles, most of it urban, is a horrendous comparison? Talk about trying to have cake and eat it too.
Yes., regardless as to what geographic comparison you use, SF wins. That's life.

Quote:
Don't get mad when I play the same game with Manhattan, and WIN BY ANY AND ALL METRICS.
Did you and NOLA101 go to the same failing school?

Your Northeastern Holy of holies isnt that holy after all.

Median Household Income, 2013
San Francisco, CA $77,485
Manhattan, NY $72,190

Median Family Income, 2013
San Francisco, CA $95,421
Manhattan, NY $88,247

Quote:
But, yes, do entertain with showing how the northern half of SF is richer than all of Manhattan. I'm sure this will lead to me having to easily shoot this down, as well.
Thus far you've been shooting blanks, so...

Old 12-02-2014, 05:42 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,051 times
I think NYC is a way better city in ever respect than SF except for weather and scenery. I probably rather live in SF over NY given the chance thou because I never lived on the West Coast before and want to see if I would like living in California. I love visiting California but i suspect if I lived there I would get sick of their traffic and cost of living.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Yes., regardless as to what geographic comparison you use, SF wins. That's life.

Thus far you've been shooting blanks, so...
Your geographic comparisons are bull, and you know it. That's the issue. 10,000 suburban sq miles to 304 urban sq miles is not a valid comparison. Period.

And as far as shooting blanks, sounds like someone is stalling...stats, please.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:53 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,715 times
Lol! I swear if C-D ever have poster awards 18Mont would take home the "Most Delusional Poster" award by a LANDSLIDE.

Este tipo!!!

CSA, Per Capita, MSA, Median etc. useless. No one in the real world cares. While SF is an amazing city, NYC will continue to have more international tourist, more global recognition (see: Brooklyn), more landmarks, more everything. So just have a seat, and play with the cities in your league.

SF has nice weather though! I'll concede to this.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:04 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times
Quote:
Your geographic comparisons are bull, and you know it. That's the issue. 10,000 suburban sq miles to 304 urban sq miles is not a valid comparison. Period.

And as far as shooting blanks, sounds like someone is stalling...stats, please.
People, is what the metric counts, and you arent even answering the questions or commenting to the issue. Just drop it then. SF is a little wealthier on average than NYC. Thats a fact.
A city doesnt have to be bigger to be better either. That is a falsity perpetuated here on CD.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
People, is what the metric counts, and you arent even answering the questions or commenting to the issue. Just drop it then. SF is a little wealthier on average than NYC. Thats a fact.
A city doesnt have to be bigger to be better either. That is a falsity perpetuated here on CD.
How so? I've conceded that on a per capita basis, SF and the Bay Area are wealthier on average. My whole argument has been that when it comes to total wealth/education, NYC blows the Bay out the water. Also, on a per capita basis, Manhattan is wealthier than SF and anywhere in the Bay. There are zip codes/communities in the NYC CSA that are wealthier than anything in the Bay. So my argument is really two fold. One, bigger is better when it comes to wealth and education, and NYC wins that battle easily. Two, if one is looking for per capita wealth, rich enclaves if you will, NYC has richer enclaves than SF. SF and the Bay are wealthier on average but NYC has specific areas that are wealthier, such as Manhattan, than anything in the Bay.

And yes, bigger doesn't always equal better, but in this case, I absolutely think it does. Everything SF/The Bay can do, NYC can do at least triple fold.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Stutter?

And SF loses in mean household income, mean family income, median nonfamily income, mean nonfamily income, per capita income, median earnings for workers, and mean earnings. Your point?
Yes, but, but, but "that's not fair"(crying and whiny) because Manhattan is half the physical size of SF( sound familiar?)

On the other hand, I dont mind because it exposes the fact that you cant beat SF unless you cut out 6.6 Million residents in the outer boroughs.

Per Capita Income, 2013
Inner Bay Area
Marin County $97,124
San Francisco County $84,356
San Mateo County $79,893
Santa Clara County $70,157
Contra Costa County $63,403
Alameda County $55,338

New York City
Manhattan Borough $121,632
Staten Island Borough $51,328
Queens Borough $44,966
Brooklyn Borough $34,873
Bronx Borough $31,762

It's stats like these that lead me to believe that my previous assertion is 100% True: The outer boroughs is the urban equivalent to the Inland Empire. Massive, but economically useless.

and last but least...
Philadelphia County, PA $42,155

BEA: News Release: Local Area Personal Income, 2013
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City