Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City vs San Francisco
New York 310 56.36%
San Francisco 240 43.64%
Voters: 550. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 08:04 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Is the ideal city one in which 100% of the 25 and over population has obtained at least a Bachelor's degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 08:18 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Is the ideal city one in which 100% of the 25 and over population has obtained at least a Bachelor's degree?
Yea I don't get it about some of these people on here. Granted everyone I hang out with has at least a Bachelor's degree, but why would you always want to meet and socialize with the same type of people when you are out at night or during the day. I talked to this random older fellow on the subway yesterday, he explained how he wanted to reconnect with his son who had moved to Flordia, and how growing up their relation was bad. Random as hell but made me think about life and perspective of what is important. If I didn't have to associate with the Fat A-hole irish guys from the far Northeast and hear the stupid things flow out of their mouths, I would have nothing to laugh about at night ha. Variety of characters is another part of what makes a city a city. You can point to diversity stats all you want, NYC's make up will, in my opinion, be more interesting to me than a small city like SF even though racially it is just as diverse.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:18 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
As long as its diverse.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:41 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,389,117 times
Quote:
That would flat out suck.

Liquid Plumber would be the ONLY plumber in town.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:45 PM

306 posts, read 701,510 times
Tough choice. Both are very expensive, but both offer all the sorts of amenities any city-lover would enjoy.

SF: The weather and natural beauty surrounding San Francisco is certainly a big plus.

NY: Less walking up hills, almost no risk of earthquakes and closer to a whole slew of other cities to visit on the east coast.

On balance, I'd say Chicago wins.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:14 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
No. He used MSA, CSA, and city limits. So no. SF wins the per capita argument on every one of those comparisons. NY is still great though.
If you want to take Manhattan out, then NY would have Philly like numbers or worse.
then why not compare SF to Manhattan as a stand alone?

both are very wealthy on average

and with Philly; while there are no shortage of wealthy in the city there is also an over-abundance of poverty and uneducated

I really like (among my favorite places in the country without a doubt) SF and the Bay but wow I actually think I like it less since starting to read this board - its not utopia as one might think

I don't know how to pull the county data for Manhattan versus SF on these metrics but would be curious

if anything to me SF has sort of become a little too vanilla lately - not as edgy as the city I first fell in love with in the 90s (Manhattan has changed too but the other boroughs add some balance)

I really love both cities; would choose NYC as NYC realistically is one if not the world city; really offers something that cant be found in but a handful of cities in the world. SF is a city for its size that punches above its weight (my city I would say the opposite but improving slowly but surely) but no one would rationally would say its the preeminent city (well Monty would) in the world and NYC can make a case for being the preeminent city. Does that mean many may not prefer SF to NYC, absolutely not but reading these stats reminds me of a commercial I saw years ago where some guy sat in a dark room controlling the weather on his weather machine while outside it was sunny and people were enjoying themselves

Old 12-02-2014, 04:20 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
No. He used MSA, CSA, and city limits. So no. SF wins the per capita argument on every one of those comparisons. NY is still great though.
If you want to take Manhattan out, then NY would have Philly like numbers or worse.
NYC without Manhattan: per capita income $24,371
Philadelphia: per capita income $21,946

close not there. Only the Bronx has a lower median household income than Philadelphia. Second lowest Brooklyn is 22% higher than Philadelphia.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:21 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffincake View Post
Tough choice. Both are very expensive, but both offer all the sorts of amenities any city-lover would enjoy.

SF: The weather and natural beauty surrounding San Francisco is certainly a big plus.

NY: Less walking up hills, almost no risk of earthquakes and closer to a whole slew of other cities to visit on the east coast.

On balance, I'd say Chicago wins.

in the words of WC Fields

On the whole I'd rather be in Philadelphia (or maybe that was his gravestone)

though then again he was also quoted as saying

first prize a week in Philadelphia; second prize two weeks in Philadelphia

Old 12-02-2014, 04:32 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
No, he cherry picked in his comparisons by doing MSA/CSA vs city proper. And SF loses in per capita to Manhattan, which was my point--NYC wins in raw numbers, and if you want to cherry pick for a per capita argument, Manhattan wins the per capita debate, as well, despite being smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
then why not compare SF to Manhattan as a stand alone?

I don't know how to pull the county data for Manhattan versus SF on these metrics but would be curious
American FactFinder

Old 12-02-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

if anything to me SF has sort of become a little too vanilla lately - not as edgy as the city I first fell in love with in the 90s (Manhattan has changed too but the other boroughs add some balance)
New York County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

San Francisco County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City