Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City vs San Francisco
New York 310 56.36%
San Francisco 240 43.64%
Voters: 550. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 01:01 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Nothing forced about typing LMFAO.
There you are! You could've quoted me the first time too.

Typing in caps was the only way you should've been able to properly "hear" my laughter all the way on the West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 01:02 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,174,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Watch this.

Rich, suburban, majority white. Could be anywhere in America.

Aside from Marin, probably the wealthiest and largest expanse of non white majority counties in the US.

Damn Im good.
Ah, the race angle. That's a new one (finally). Congratulations. I have no statistical comeback. Let's just not pretend that those counties still don't have a plurality of whites, because they do. But props are due where they are due, good to see minorities doing well. Score one for the Bay.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:12 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,560,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
There you are! You could've quoted me the first time too.

Typing in caps was the only way you should've been able to properly "hear" my laughter all the way on the West.
You can't refer to SF as a "town" and childishly personify the place as worthy of being "patted on the head" in the context of this or, any, discussion, and be expected to be taken seriously. I'm one generation removed from NY, and still have family there. Keep it. I'd take SF in a heartbeat.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:12 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
So you just ignore the politics, fashion, media, influence, entertainment, film, arts, architecture, and gdp superiority of NYC? Because that's really what this thread has resorted to. Bigger and better is better. NYC has more better stuff. You need a new argument.
Politics-DC>
Entertainment - LA>
Architecture-Chi>

There's more to SF, personal Wealth, tech capital of the world, beauty, hills, weather, food, better bridge, better park, best Chinatown, best wine, produce/food supply, union square, microclimates, charm, so much more, packs a big punch in a relatively small area.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Is this where you eat each other?!
...nevermind.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Politics-DC>
Entertainment - LA>
Architecture-Chi>

There's more to SF, personal Wealth, tech capital of the world, beauty, hills, weather, food, better bridge, better park, best Chinatown, best wine, produce/food supply, union square, microclimates, charm, so much more, packs a big punch in a relatively small area.
IOW - a better place to be.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:25 AM

230 posts, read 286,222 times
I don't think anyone is arguing that San Francisco isn't a great city; it's just that, as someone pointed out earlier, it's like putting a welterweight in the ring with a heavyweight. And not just any heavyweight; Muhammad Ali. Saying San Francisco in the same league as NYC is, IMO, kind of like saying Amsterdam for instance, is in the same league as London or Paris. It doesn't mean Amsterdam isn't one of Europe's premiere cities, a major cultural and economic hub, a true destination, and even a global leader and innovator in some specific fields. But to suggest that it's equal to, or even in the same category as London is simply ludicrous. Claiming SF is on par with NYC means, yes, you're claiming it's on par with London, Tokyo, probably Paris, and a very, very short list of other cities. A real stretch, and unsupportable by pretty much any rational metric. Not that Montclair will ever stop trying, I'm sure.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Politics-DC>
Entertainment - LA>
Architecture-Chi>

Don't bring DC, LA and Chicago into this. This is NYC vs SF. On those fronts, NYC is superior to SF.

Hills? What a pain.
Weather? I'll take four defined seasons over perpetual mild weather, thank you.
Food? Nope. Next.
Better park? Lol, no. Central Park wins that one
Best Chinatown? Nope. NYC has six, but since you're a "better is better" kind of guy, toss up between Manhattan's Chinatown and Flushing's. Take your pick.
Union Square? Ever hear of a little place called Times Square? Hell, Union Square in NYC is a better square.
Microclimates? Why should you have to waste gas/money to get to optimal weather?
Charm? Subjective

Old 12-04-2014, 01:31 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
You can't refer to SF as a "town" and childishly personify the place as worthy of being "patted on the head" in the context of this or, any, discussion, and be expected to be taken seriously. I'm one generation removed from NY, and still have family there. Keep it. I'd take SF in a heartbeat.
Sure, I can call it a town (evidently you missed my post earlier saying it's an amazing city). It's tiny compared to NY and that's a fact. The city limits of SF. That's what this thread was about, no? Also the whole "pat on the head" thing was partially tongue in cheek.

Lastly this is a forum, no one on here really cares how we're perceived lol.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFrom215 View Post
I don't think anyone is arguing that San Francisco isn't a great city; it's just that, as someone pointed out earlier, it's like putting a welterweight in the ring with a heavyweight. And not just any heavyweight; Muhammad Ali. Saying San Francisco in the same league as NYC is, IMO, kind of like saying Amsterdam for instance, is in the same league as London or Paris. It doesn't mean Amsterdam isn't one of Europe's premiere cities, a major cultural and economic hub, a true destination, and even a global leader and innovator in some specific fields. But to suggest that it's equal to, or even in the same category as London is simply ludicrous. Claiming SF is on par with NYC means, yes, you're claiming it's on par with London, Tokyo, probably Paris, and a very, very short list of other cities. A real stretch, and unsupportable by pretty much any rational metric. Not that Montclair will ever stop trying, I'm sure.
Rationality has long been sucked out of this thread. Now, it's just subjective opinion and hyperbole from their side. I count three objective metrics SF has over NYC. That's it. But I doubt they'd have the fortitude to admit what you just posted. Almost admirable their resolve is, in a way. Almost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City