Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Hold The Diva Title
Houston 31 13.78%
Los Angeles 47 20.89%
NYC 56 24.89%
Atlanta 29 12.89%
Dallas 42 18.67%
Miami 9 4.00%
Chicago 11 4.89%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 07:17 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
That same applies to people in small cities. I have heard of plenty of people small city people shout off idiotic stereotypes about NY and LA and the worst thing is that they actually genuinely believe it's true. Even though I myself think LA and California in general (except San Francisco) suck I wouldn't say smaller cities are lacking in idiots.
The difference is, the people in the larger cities like NY and LA are always bragging about how "open-minded" and "tolerant" they are. People in the smaller towns are at least proud and honest about their ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 11:13 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
This is a hard one...

Its a toss up between NYC, LA, Atlanta, & Dallas.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:04 PM

311 posts, read 492,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
The difference is, the people in the larger cities like NY and LA are always bragging about how "open-minded" and "tolerant" they are. People in the smaller towns are at least proud and honest about their ignorance.
Depends of the person's view of "tolerence" is. Here in L.A.; it's a mixed bag.

The city is very diverse as far as the population is concerned but depending on where you are in the L.A. area, there is a lesser-degree of tolerence towards others or other groups while, on the other hand, there are communities that are very open (many parts of the San Fernando and San Gabriel Valleys are good examples of people more open with others than places like Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, many places in South-Central and to a lesser degree, Santa Monica).

The biggest stigma about L.A. (in my opinion) is how is widely segergated based on income than anything else.

Last edited by Moreau36; 04-11-2013 at 12:33 PM..

Old 04-11-2013, 01:19 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Not sure I'd call them the most ridiculous boosters on C-D, but I would call SF'ans (and many Bay Areans in general) to be among the absolute most arrogant people in the United States. Especially as it relates to "the City" and NorCal.

Oakland and the South Bay/San Jose tend to have some more down to Earth, relaxed types, but San Francisco, Marin and the general Bay Area is not the "California laid back" people think of generally. The area's coastal towns like Half Moon Bay, Pescadero, and Santa Cruz/Capitola (which even still is greatly influenced by Silicon Valley commuter snobbery) are also considerably more laid back.

I honestly find L.A. and Southern California to be a little more laid back and less full of itself, at least once you're away from Hollywood and wealthy areas like the west side, Calabasas and South O.C. Go to the San Gabriel Valley or north O.C., which still have many nice areas mind you, and tell me how "pretentious" it feels compared to the seas of leased $60k Lexuses. Yeah...that's what I thought.

Now, you wanna see a city where I consistently meet grumpy people and/or straight a-holes every time I visit? Louisville, Kentucky. Moved away from there in 2005 after living there for nine months, but still have to visit 1-2 times a year because of family nearby. I appreciate my Kentucky roots, but have no love to lose for its largest city! The superiority/inferiority complex the residents have against most places that aren't "the 'Ville," especially rural Kentucky, is just bazaar.
I have to confess that, of the San Franciscans I've personally met/known, most were actually nice and seemingly down-to-earth. Even on City Data, there's really only one SF poster that I would be able to describe as arrogant, and he isn't even originally from the Bay Area. Come to think of it, that tends to be the case with a lot of these "boosters". Hell, 90% of the people who boost Houston aren't even natives of the city.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:46 PM

933 posts, read 1,533,245 times
Dallas. It's very pretentious, snobby and image-conscious.

I'd say Los Angeles normally, but at least they have a reason to act that way

Old 04-11-2013, 11:09 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
Dallas. It's very pretentious, snobby and image-conscious.

I'd say Los Angeles normally, but at least they have a reason to act that way
Yep....I totally agree.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7046/6...b726f5cf_z.jpg
...DITCH and all.

Last edited by JMT; 04-20-2013 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: Please follow the rules for posting images.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:16 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
L.A. is the movie capital of the United States, that's plenty of bragging rights for the city, plus everything else it offers.

Atlanta, while I see what you're saying, does deserve some credit for what's offered there and what they offer to the South.

Houston has shown tremendous growth population wise and job wise, so it definitely should be in the spotlight.

NYC obviously trumps any other city in the country, if not the world and I think that's obvious to anyone.

Even though all of these cities deserve their mark, I would say out of these, Atlanta would be a "diva."
No, NYC does not obviously trump any other city

LA rocks NYC's world for things to do..... just because it has more people does not make it better. Same with San Francisco.... better than NYC

Old 04-11-2013, 11:26 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
LA rocks NYC's world for things to do..... just because it has more people does not make it better. Same with San Francisco.... better than NYC

Old 04-12-2013, 12:20 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times

Old 04-12-2013, 11:57 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Yep....I totally agree.

...DITCH and all.
What exactly is that picture supposed to prove?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City