Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area is better to live?
Boston, MA 79 62.70%
Atlanta, GA 47 37.30%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 04:45 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,983,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
Of course it can.

But my point is that even if Atlanta's urbanity is thoroughly mediocre in comparison to Boston's, at least someone living on a middle class income can plausibly afford the best of what Atlanta has to offer. Not so in Boston. But hey, it's fun to fantasize about what it would be like to live in Back Bay, I guess.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:13 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
People in general like different things, I prefer Boston myself. Why? It's a culture preference. I can be in a gym or restaurant without being around people who get hot and bothered over every new Tyler Perry movie coming out. Fast food joints like Zaxbys, Moes, Bojangles, Chick Fil A, etc everywhere. Also, I hate Braves fans because they are Mets rivals, but the red sox annoy me too. I find it annoying when Braves fans stand up and do the tomahawk chop, I want to break their wrist!
Lol, seriously, fam?

I highly doubt everybody in Atlanta gets hot and bothered every time a Tyler Perry movie comes out. Talk about stereotypes.

And I'm also sick of these north easterners talking about how there are no chains or fast food joints up north. What I was in New York, wanna guess what I saw? Gasp! A Target. I also saw a Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks on every corner, so y'all can leave that talking point at the door. Not to mention that Sbarro place I see so much up there.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:17 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
Yes but lets be realistic.Cumming is a good 1 hour drive in traffic away.You can't compare the city to a suburb.A 2 bedroom condo in Buckhead or Midtown is gonna cost you a lot more.
Here is one of many listed going for $1,450,000
Peachtree • Citihomes Web ID: 26086299
Sovereign Buckhead Atlanta Condos For Sale in Fulton County 30305

Old 04-22-2013, 07:35 AM

580 posts, read 1,180,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Lol, seriously, fam?

I highly doubt everybody in Atlanta gets hot and bothered every time a Tyler Perry movie comes out. Talk about stereotypes.

And I'm also sick of these north easterners talking about how there are no chains or fast food joints up north. What I was in New York, wanna guess what I saw? Gasp! A Target. I also saw a Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks on every corner, so y'all can leave that talking point at the door. Not to mention that Sbarro place I see so much up there.
Everyone knows Atlanta is the Mecca for Tyler Perry. African Americans buy his movies and tv shows faster than people raid a grocery store for water and batteries when a hurricane is coming. Do not even try to deny it!

And you missed my point completely. I can guarantee you Atlanta has more chains than Boston but that was not my point. My point is the type of chain restaurants. Atlanta is home to all of those greasy fried food joints and that nasty Mellow Mushroom. And do not even get me started on Waffle House, what a horrible diner.

With all of this being said let me go. I am having a marathon of Meet The Browns!

Last edited by Ice Cream Man; 04-22-2013 at 07:56 AM..

Old 04-22-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Everyone knows Atlanta is the Mecca for Tyler Perry. African Americans buy his movies and tv shows faster than people raid a grocery store for water and batteries when a hurricane is coming. Do not even try to deny it!

And you missed my point completely. I can guarantee you Atlanta has more chains than Boston but that was not my point. My point is the type of chain restaurants. Atlanta is home to all of those greasy fried food joints and that nasty Mellow Mushroom. And do not even get me started on Waffle House, what a horrible diner.

With all of this being said let me go. I am having a marathon of Meet The Browns!
Can you prove to me that ATL has more chains than Boston?

Is anybody forcing you to go to one of those joints in Atlanta? Nope! There are plenty of other things for the city to offer.

And yes, I do know that TP is based in Atlanta. But that doesn't mean that all black folks in Atlanta are TP crazy. That's like me saying all Bostonians are barflies because of Cheers.

Also, don't hate on Waffle House. It's no frills, cheap, and doesn't pretend to be anything it isn't.

You've really been putting yourself out there in this thread and usually you've been wrong.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:

Is anybody forcing you to go to one of those joints in Atlanta? Nope! There are plenty of other things for the city to offer.

And yes, I do know that TP is based in Atlanta. But that doesn't mean that all black folks in Atlanta are TP crazy. That's like me saying all Bostonians are barflies because of Cheers.

Also, don't hate on Waffle House. It's no frills, cheap, and doesn't pretend to be anything it isn't.

You've really been putting yourself out there in this thread and usually you've been wrong.
Can you prove to me Boston has more chains? Nope! There is not any facts on This topic, looks like we will both have to give our opinions.

Yep, Atlantans are obsessed with Tyler Perry.

Waffle House is disgusting!!!!! They should all be closed and whatever food is left should be cooked and given to the homeless. Anyone who likes them is not well traveled. Try the diners in Philly, NJ, NYC, CT, Boston, Chicago, etc. The workers do not even have Teeth, I guess it's normal in the Deep South.

I stand by every word too. Sorry, I can't take anyone seriously who states if they had endless money they would buy houses in Dallas, Houston, Austin and wouldn't leave TX. Roll eyes......

Old 04-22-2013, 08:23 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:

Right.

A lot of black people in Atlanta and Nationwide praise and talk about Tyler Perry's accomplishments even if they don't like his movies because although it's not that unusual to see white industry people achieve those things it's completely groundbreaking for a black person to be doing what he is. (Spike Lee and others made movies but they didn't build their own studios and everything.)

And Waffle House is additively delicious although I'm aware it's not wise to get in the habit of eating there everyday health wise. LOL

Old 04-22-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Can you prove to me Boston has more chains? Nope! There is not any facts on This topic, looks like we will both have to give our opinions.

Yep, Atlantans are obsessed with Tyler Perry.

Waffle House is disgusting!!!!! They should all be closed and whatever food is left should be cooked and given to the homeless. Anyone who likes them is not well traveled. Try the diners in Philly, NJ, NYC, CT, Boston, Chicago, etc. The workers do not even have Teeth, I guess it's normal in the Deep South.

I stand by every word too. Sorry, I can't take anyone seriously who states if they had endless money they would buy houses in Dallas, Houston, Austin and wouldn't leave TX. Roll eyes......
I never said I wouldn't leave Texas. I said I would LIVE in Texas. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't travel all over.

Are you going to actually discuss anything intelligently? If you are just going to continue with the generalizations then I'm finished. The funny thing is you northerners make yourselves out to be so enlightened and scholarly, yet your arguments are unsubstantial and based on stereotypes and generalizations rather than any empirical evidence.

What a waste of time.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I never said I wouldn't leave Texas. I said I would LIVE in Texas. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't travel all over.

Are you going to actually discuss anything intelligently? If you are just going to continue with the generalizations then I'm finished. The funny thing is you northerners make yourselves out to be so enlightened and scholarly, yet your arguments are unsubstantial and based on stereotypes and generalizations rather than any empirical evidence.

What a waste of time.
Stereotypes? I have lived in Atlanta, so much for that theory.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:48 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Quote:
Lol, seriously, fam?

I don't know that I've ever heard a Northeasterner talk about how we have no chains and fast food joints up here. There are plenty.

The difference that I've personally observed is a cultural thing. Northeastern cities and towns (and this is particularly true when you look at small towns) tend to have more of a preference for local, non-chain restaurants. I doubt many people who have spent much time in the Southeast vs. the Northeast would argue that. There are, of course, exceptions. However, there's typically a higher proportion of independent, non-chain stores to chain stores in the Northeast than there is in the Southeast.

There's typically less variety in fast food chains in the Northeast as well. The big ones are McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Subway, and Dunkin Donuts. Starbucks is big in the cities and not quite as pervasive in the 'burbs. Five Guys is popping up in many places too. We also have our fair share of local chains like Honey Dew Donuts and Mary Lou's. It's worth noting that Dunkin Donuts was a local chain. The first one was in Quincy, MA (a Boston suburb) and it's headquartered in Canton, MA (a Boston suburb). The variety of fast food chains in the Northeast is nowhere near as big as in the Southeast. The frequency with which you see is less than in the Southeast as well. Especially in the suburbs.

Beyond fast food, sit-down chains are far less popular in the Northeast as well. Restaurants like Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Applebees, etc. aren't as widespread because people typically go for local places in the Northeast. That's part of the reason restaurants like Red Lobster, Bugaboo Creek, Outback, etc. have either completely disappeared (Bugaboo is gone, Red Lobster has only one store left in New England and it's in Southwest CT, and Outback cut WAY back on their stores) or don't keep popping up in new developments.

It's not that nobody up here eats fast food or at chain restaurants, it's just that they don't pick chains as frequently as you'll find that people do in the South. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. There are plenty of restaurants up here that are locally/independently owned that suck. It's just a cultural difference and one that's not all that difficult to observe. Coffee chains, especially in urban areas, are the exception. You'll be hard pressed to find people walking around Boston without a Dunkin or Starbucks coffee. It's a shame too, because other cities (San Francisco, for example) have much better local coffee places.

Box retail like Target is the same in the Northeast as it is anywhere else. Everyone uses it. Sure there are boutique stores in many cities and towns, but everyone shops at box stores for the most part. I've never heard anyone argue otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City