Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area is better to live?
Boston, MA 79 62.70%
Atlanta, GA 47 37.30%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 07:32 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,265,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I think most would say Boston's winters are worse than Georgia's summers. Atlanta only tops out at an average of about 90, the summers are shorter, and there are more humid places. Atlanta's weather is certainly milder.
boston winters are not even that bad, they are warmer than chicago, toronto or minnepolis

Old 04-17-2013, 07:40 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,015,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Atlanta by miles...... something about Boston rubs me the wrong way, kind of the same way NYC does

It seems very provincial and closeminded, not overly welcoming to outsiders. Yeah, fine it has histoic things do visit, but do these really impact your quality of life daily? Any city who turned a blind eye after Teddy murdered a girl gets no respect from me either

Atlanta, on the other hand is pretty openminded and friendly. Very diverse place and reminds me somewhat of Houston which is also one of my favorite cities.

Don't really care about public transportation and density. I love to bicycle so those things mean little

How diverse is Atlanta?

Old 04-17-2013, 07:55 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,591 times
I chose Boston

Old 04-17-2013, 07:56 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,015,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I just sure hope in real life people dont act like they do in those terrible reality shows, really starting to give Atlanta a bad reputation.

Good grief. Let the stupidity roam wild!!!

Old 04-17-2013, 08:35 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
The thing is, the vast majority of Americans prefer suburban living due to a variety of reasons, the top being good schools, lower COL, and a lot more space especially if you have a family. Why else is Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Miami growing at alarming rates? Realistically though, most people don't care about how urban a city is. Most hardly pay attention to that stuff. This website is not the representative of the general population. This website, specifically, this forum caters more to urban dwellers then a suburbanite.

And less global culture? I guess that's why Boston has a 78% white population. Clearly, it's on global terms and a cosmopolitan city. Hell, Dallas and Houston are MUCH more diverse then Boston and they are southern/conservative. Stop using global culture and diversity as a pro for Boston. Quite frankly, Boston doesn't have diversity and many of the southern metros have MORE diversity then Boston.
Boston has cultural diversity up the wazoo though, moreso than Atlanta......probably by far. If 80%+ of Atlantans speak English and have the same accent and general culture or ethnicity, no matter the race, that makes Atlanta less culturally diverse than a place like Boston, which has been an immigrant mecca for centuries now.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:16 AM

644 posts, read 1,430,189 times
I can't find it but someone mentioned Bostons downtown was much better than Atlantas. How so....they only difference I can think of is a bit more shopping in the CBD. When I was there in 2007 I was surprised that downtown Boston was as booming as I thought. Being from ny I always thought Boston had a similar feel but it didn't. I think both downtown Atlanta and Boston are pretty the same...anyone care to chime in?

Old 04-17-2013, 10:17 AM

Wasn't***

Old 04-17-2013, 10:24 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
I can't find it but someone mentioned Bostons downtown was much better than Atlantas. How so....they only difference I can think of is a bit more shopping in the CBD. When I was there in 2007 I was surprised that downtown Boston was as booming as I thought. Being from ny I always thought Boston had a similar feel but it didn't. I think both downtown Atlanta and Boston are pretty the same...anyone care to chime in?
They're not even close. Boston's downtown population is far larger and the amount of office space is far larger. There is far better shopping, restaurants, architecture, and vibrancy.

There's just...no comparison whatsoever.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
They're not even close. Boston's downtown population is far larger and the amount of office space is far larger. There is far better shopping, restaurants, architecture, and vibrancy.

There's just...no comparison whatsoever.

Ok...im just saying from my experience....I couldn't tell a big diferrence from downtown Boston to downtown Atlanta....they felt the same to me...only Boston (which I already noted) has way more shopping options downtown.

DOWNTOWN BOSTON

DOWNTOWN ATLANTA

They look and feel pretty much the same to me!!
Attached Thumbnails
Boston vs Atlanta as a place to LIVE-boston_downtown_crossing-1200.jpg   Boston vs Atlanta as a place to LIVE-downtown-crossing-boston.jpg   Boston vs Atlanta as a place to LIVE-marthas-vineyard-ma641.jpg   Boston vs Atlanta as a place to LIVE-168504738_5fb02f885b.jpg   Boston vs Atlanta as a place to LIVE-lrg-1195-p1000166.jpg  

Boston vs Atlanta as a place to LIVE-20471993_bg1.jpg   Boston vs Atlanta as a place to LIVE-tumblr_inline_mgxki1pbdf1qbg499.jpg  

Old 04-17-2013, 12:32 PM

3,708 posts, read 5,983,962 times
Boston's downtown is leagues ahead of Atlanta's.

Maybe if you combined the best of Downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead into an area the size of Atlanta's downtown is could compete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City