Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area is better to live?
Boston, MA 79 62.70%
Atlanta, GA 47 37.30%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 12:49 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
boston winters are not even that bad, they are warmer than chicago, toronto or minnepolis
Still colder than Atlanta's summers are hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Boston has cultural diversity up the wazoo though, moreso than Atlanta......probably by far. If 80%+ of Atlantans speak English and have the same accent and general culture or ethnicity, no matter the race, that makes Atlanta less culturally diverse than a place like Boston, which has been an immigrant mecca for centuries now.
That obviously isn't the case, though, and I'm sure you know that.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:54 PM

644 posts, read 1,430,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Boston's downtown is leagues ahead of Atlanta's.

Maybe if you combined the best of Downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead into an area the size of Atlanta's downtown is could compete.
Wow...ok. Maybe I didn't spend enough time downtown Boston!! I'll be back up there the last weekend of the month..so I will see.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:01 PM

669 posts, read 914,924 times
Why are people bringing up suburbs to talk about city diversity? How many of you actually lived in the suburbs? I have lived in Sanford and Altamonte Springs which are Orlando suburbs and the only times we went to Orlando then was to either see attractions, go to a few events, and visit other people we knew. Most people in the suburbs live their life within their own small little cities or cities really close to it. We did most of the things people do for life general whether it be grocery shopping, school, going to the mall, eating in fast food restaurants, going to the movies etc within the suburbs close to all the time. Even for jobs I would say most people that live in the suburbs would try to get a job around their city instead wasting a lot of gas money driving back and forth to the city. Like I would have to pay 40 miles worth of gas money every time I travel between my parents house in Sanford to my University in Orlando. The majority of people from the suburbs that would need to be in major cities like Atlanta and Orlando would come from the people that has to go all the way up there for work, and College kids that doesn't live campus. That just can't be majority of suburbs. So bringing up the demographics of it's suburbs to compare an actual major city is quite flawed. The Suburbs' expose to the city is not really that far off from tourists.

As far as the city themselves is considered Boston is far more racially diverse than Atlanta. No one race group in Boston makes up over 50% of the population and in Atlanta about 90% of the city is either Black or White. Just having the majority of you city be Black instead of White doesn't make you racially diverse.

P.S. Where do you get these statistics of all the metro area demographics anyways? I looked around a little on wiki and it's there for New York but it's missing for smaller cities like Boston or Orlando.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:33 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
Why are people bringing up suburbs to talk about city diversity? How many of you actually lived in the suburbs? I have lived in Sanford and Altamonte Springs which are Orlando suburbs and the only times we went to Orlando then was to either see attractions, go to a few events, and visit other people we knew. Most people in the suburbs live their life within their own small little cities or cities really close to it. We did most of the things people do for life general whether it be grocery shopping, school, going to the mall, eating in fast food restaurants, going to the movies etc within the suburbs close to all the time. Even for jobs I would say most people that live in the suburbs would try to get a job around their city instead wasting a lot of gas money driving back and forth to the city. Like I would have to pay 40 miles worth of gas money every time I travel between my parents house in Sanford to my University in Orlando. The majority of people from the suburbs that would need to be in major cities like Atlanta and Orlando would come from the people that has to go all the way up there for work, and College kids that doesn't live campus. That just can't be majority of suburbs. So bringing up the demographics of it's suburbs to compare an actual major city is quite flawed. The Suburbs' expose to the city is not really that far off from tourists.

As far as the city themselves is considered Boston is far more racially diverse than Atlanta. No one race group in Boston makes up over 50% of the population and in Atlanta about 90% of the city is either Black or White. Just having the majority of you city be Black instead of White doesn't make you racially diverse.

P.S. Where do you get these statistics of all the metro area demographics anyways? I looked around a little on wiki and it's there for New York but it's missing for smaller cities like Boston or Orlando.
American FactFinder

Old 04-17-2013, 10:11 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
Quote:

Because people in the suburbs go into the city? I mean, people in the city aren't the only ones in the city during the day time....

Old 04-18-2013, 12:08 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
I'm sorry to hear about what happened in Boston. I wish I could say that I hope all are alright but the families affected by this will never be the same again but to them I wish them as painless a recovery as possible from this tragedy. I hope they catch that sick perpetrator, one thing I hate universally all around are people that harm the innocent.

The world stopped in time to support you guys in Boston from as far away as Kabul.

As for which city I prefer here, I like aspects of both and wont vote because well, I understand at the end of the day our statistics and blind boosterism shouldn't defer anyone from choosing where they'd be the most happy. If you're happy with your city, at the end of the day that's all that matters.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:08 PM

669 posts, read 914,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Because people in the suburbs go into the city? I mean, people in the city aren't the only ones in the city during the day time....
So do tourists so what's your point? Are they part of the city's racial diversity too?

Like I was asking in the beginning have you ever lived in the suburbs? Do you really believe that your average person on the suburbs goes to the city on a regular basis?

Old 04-19-2013, 02:50 PM

42 posts, read 63,934 times
Quote:
Boston by miles.
PEOPLE REALLY DO LOVE BOSTON IN THESE THREADS!! Ive been to Boston and I really wasnt impressed, just another fake wannabe New York / Philly if you ask me! Ive met the most snobbiest rudest people Ive ever encountered in my life while working in Boston for a extended period of time, but thats my biased personal opinion so dont go getting your panties in a bunch!!

Old 04-19-2013, 03:17 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkronOhio44320 View Post
PEOPLE REALLY DO LOVE BOSTON IN THESE THREADS!! Ive been to Boston and I really wasnt impressed, just another fake wannabe New York / Philly if you ask me! Ive met the most snobbiest rudest people Ive ever encountered in my life while working in Boston for a extended period of time, but thats my biased personal opinion so dont go getting your panties in a bunch!!
If the last few date proved anything it is that the people of Boston are not awful, they're for the most part great.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:39 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,265,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkronOhio44320 View Post
is anything philly can be boston wannabe, not the other way around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City