Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 05:09 AM

8 posts, read 18,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Tell us about yourself so that we can give you some advice?
ok , I'm 21 old planing to study graphic design . I love clubbing and nightlife activities I also love to live in big , modern and urban cities . I don't like to live in country side but unfortunately only these 3 cities what I got
I'm looking for a city with rapid transit or LRT becuz I don't like to use buses !
my budget for housing around 400 to 600$ for a room rental.

I like making new friends and hanging around so I'd say I prefer the safest city of the three.

this what I have to say now and I think this would be helped . thank you and excuse my poor English .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 05:13 AM

386 posts, read 668,230 times
Prolly Philly. It's close to NYC which is good for you because that's where all the nightlife is

Old 11-26-2013, 05:42 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansoour View Post
ok , I'm 21 old planing to study graphic design . I love clubbing and nightlife activities I also love to live in big , modern and urban cities . I don't like to live in country side but unfortunately only these 3 cities what I got
I'm looking for a city with rapid transit or LRT becuz I don't like to use buses !

I like making new friends and hanging around so I'd say I prefer the safest city of the three.

this what I have to say now and I think this would be helped . thank you and excuse my poor English .
Atlanta.

Our last call (3am) is later than Portland and Philly (2am). We are 6 hours away from New Orleans for Mardi Gras/etc.
We have better looking women.
We have better music festivals (TomorrowWorld, Counterpoint, Midtown Music, etc).
We have better festivals (Dogwood Fest, Jazz Fest, Inman Park Fest, etc)
Our cost of living is cheaper.
We have ZERO mandatory toll roads
We are closer to Florida for spring break
Atlanta has the largest airport in the world and we have more direct flights to anywhere in the world.
We are a 2 hour flight from 80% of the US population
etc etc etc

Old 11-26-2013, 06:48 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansoour View Post

i'll be honest with you— atlanta is wonderful, but on the urban front, we're a work-in-progress. we do have a rapid transit system called MARTA, but there are a lot of trendy places in atlanta where you will have to take a bus: east atlanta village, west midtown, buckhead village, etc. but the core areas all have subway service. if you want to have the best experience in atlanta without a car, i'd recommend you live on the east side of midtown at around 10th street.

atlanta is more work than philly; a lot of our really cool areas are here and there, and not all together in one place. it will take you forever to see everything in atlanta, but you have to work at it and know where to go (we can help on that front). especially in the springtime, there is so much to do that there isn't enough time to do it all. we have so many festivals, outdoor concerts, you name it. but you'll have to do a lot of walking and train driving.

how long do you plan on staying here? just the semester?

Old 11-26-2013, 11:10 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
A lot of tradeoffs here
Safety: Portland
Cost: Atlanta
Nightlife: Philly as you also have New York within reach, plus Atlantic City is nearby, DC, etc.

I think Atlanta is the best all-around though. Portland is very expensive and they have the "Portland Freeze", people are not very friendly. Although your housing budget is still a bit low for Atlanta but your dollars will probably go further here.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:42 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
If you settled on Atlanta and you don't want to drive, I was going to suggest you come here to and go to Georgia Tech, as they have extensive bike paths on and around the campus and free shuttles that go from the Midtown MARTA rail station to the Tech campus all day--and it's not just for students, anyone can ride them. Georgia Tech is in Midtown and that would put you in a better location for having a social life. But since your major is graphic design, you can try SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design). This school is also in Midtown and you would have easy access to get to the Arts Center rail station, which also has a free shuttle that goes to Atlantic Station--a popular shopping and hang-out district (restaurants and events).

If you want to live a car-free life, go to college in Atlanta and have access to nightlife, you should go to school/live in Midtown. Outside of that, you don't have a whole lot of options and the trains stop running at midnight. If you want a car-free lifestyle you will have to pretty much confine your life and activities to Midtownm downtown (not too much nightlife in Atlanta's downtown) and Buckhead (parts of Buckhead isn't easily accessible by transit). Other than that, Atlanta isn't the best choice for living without a car.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:37 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
If you settled on Atlanta and you don't want to drive, I was going to suggest you come here to and go to Georgia Tech, as they have extensive bike paths on and around the campus and free shuttles that go from the Midtown MARTA rail station to the Tech campus all day--and it's not just for students, anyone can ride them. Georgia Tech is in Midtown and that would put you in a better location for having a social life. But since your major is graphic design, you can try SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design). This school is also in Midtown and you would have easy access to get to the Arts Center rail station, which also has a free shuttle that goes to Atlantic Station--a popular shopping and hang-out district (restaurants and events).
I guessing Mansoour is referring to the Art Institute.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:01 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
The Art Institute is in downtown Decatur and Dunwoody (which are suburbs, OP). I thought they had a location in Sandy Springs (also a suburb). And while the Decatur location is on the train, it wouldn't make for a good choice for access to clubbing as he'd have to take the train into town, which stops running shortly after midnight. He could try to cab it but that would be costly. The are some places on the square of course, but I still don't think Decatur is suitable young college kid looking to club a lot. I don't know where the girls at Agnes Scott party lol. Dunwoody and Sandy Springs would put him even further away.

Besides, SCAD is a more reputable school and carries more weight in the arts industry. It is a private non-profit while AI is a private for-profit. I don't suggest anyone attend a for-profit school if they can help it. But for his public transit needs, he should consider another city altogether.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:24 PM

8 posts, read 18,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myspoonistoobig View Post
Prolly Philly. It's close to NYC which is good for you because that's where all the nightlife is
Yh I already think about it but many people said that the city isn't safe
this thing really confused me !
anyway I come out with one idea , how far is New Jersey form Philly ?
My friends are living there is it possible to live in Jersey and study in Philly ?
If not how about study in New York and living in Jersey ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Atlanta.

Our last call (3am) is later than Portland and Philly (2am). We are 6 hours away from New Orleans for Mardi Gras/etc.
We have better looking women.
We have better music festivals (TomorrowWorld, Counterpoint, Midtown Music, etc).
We have better festivals (Dogwood Fest, Jazz Fest, Inman Park Fest, etc)
Our cost of living is cheaper.
We have ZERO mandatory toll roads
We are closer to Florida for spring break
Atlanta has the largest airport in the world and we have more direct flights to anywhere in the world.
We are a 2 hour flight from 80% of the US population
etc etc etc
that great Info gonna think about it specially music festivals

thank you a lot .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i'll be honest with you— atlanta is wonderful, but on the urban front, we're a work-in-progress. we do have a rapid transit system called MARTA, but there are a lot of trendy places in atlanta where you will have to take a bus: east atlanta village, west midtown, buckhead village, etc. but the core areas all have subway service. if you want to have the best experience in atlanta without a car, i'd recommend you live on the east side of midtown at around 10th street.

atlanta is more work than philly; a lot of our really cool areas are here and there, and not all together in one place. it will take you forever to see everything in atlanta, but you have to work at it and know where to go (we can help on that front). especially in the springtime, there is so much to do that there isn't enough time to do it all. we have so many festivals, outdoor concerts, you name it. but you'll have to do a lot of walking and train driving.

how long do you plan on staying here? just the semester?
actually I'm planning for 3 years unless something happen or I don't like the city

thank you for the info I'll think about . now I just have to 2 options Atlanta or Philly will see what gonna happen thank you again

Quote:
A lot of tradeoffs here
Safety: Portland
Cost: Atlanta
Nightlife: Philly as you also have New York within reach, plus Atlantic City is nearby, DC, etc.

I think Atlanta is the best all-around though. Portland is very expensive and they have the "Portland Freeze", people are not very friendly. Although your housing budget is still a bit low for Atlanta but your dollars will probably go further here.
I saw some videos on YouTube about Portland I really didn't like it =/
I'm gonna remove it of my list

and will see what gonna happen in this few days and I believe I feel Atlanta is the best .

thank you a lot .

Quote:

If you want to live a car-free life, go to college in Atlanta and have access to nightlife, you should go to school/live in Midtown. Outside of that, you don't have a whole lot of options and the trains stop running at midnight. If you want a car-free lifestyle you will have to pretty much confine your life and activities to Midtownm downtown (not too much nightlife in Atlanta's downtown) and Buckhead (parts of Buckhead isn't easily accessible by transit). Other than that, Atlanta isn't the best choice for living without a car.
Actually I'm planning to apply on The Art Institute of Atlanta–Decatur and yh I'm not planning to drive .
I can't drive car but I might buy a bike there
anyway , all these cities has chosen just because there are subway station beside the campus and I think Atlanta is the best from this side and the cost . but Philly still better in few things and this what make it difficult for me to chose .

thank you anyway for this helpful comment

Quote:
yes that true .

Quote:
The Art Institute is in downtown Decatur and Dunwoody (which are suburbs, OP). I thought they had a location in Sandy Springs (also a suburb). And while the Decatur location is on the train, it wouldn't make for a good choice for access to clubbing as he'd have to take the train into town, which stops running shortly after midnight. He could try to cab it but that would be costly. The are some places on the square of course, but I still don't think Decatur is suitable young college kid looking to club a lot. I don't know where the girls at Agnes Scott party lol. Dunwoody and Sandy Springs would put him even further away.

Besides, SCAD is a more reputable school and carries more weight in the arts industry. It is a private non-profit while AI is a private for-profit. I don't suggest anyone attend a for-profit school if they can help it. But for his public transit needs, he should consider another city altogether.
Actually our government allow us to apply on The Art Institute only if we want get the scholarship . so I don't have a choice

whatever thank you so much for these two helpful feedback .

excuse me everyone for my poor English .

Last edited by JMT; 11-27-2013 at 08:13 AM..

Old 11-26-2013, 11:55 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,317,437 times
Mansoor, as for Philadelphia, New Jersey is across the river, and patco trains go from nj to Philadelphia. On the Pennsylvania side, the train system is septa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City