Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2014, 08:38 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,141,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Community College of Philadelphia... I didn't get far in life.
This becomes more clear when I realize that you post a tweet that a NFL player says to validate your belief that Philly is a great city. Yikes....It's just a city...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 08:39 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,523,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
RightonWalnut is a fanatical booster...oh god...that picture of the tweet is cringeworthy. And Philly is finally getting it's first supertall...Atlanta had one for what? 20+ years? When it was a 2.5 million people metro. Cool story.
Why was the tweet cringeworthy? Talking about buildings can be interesting. Philadelphia City Hall was the tallest building in the world for seven years and is still the tallest masonry building. Atop the tower, sits a 38ft tall statue of the founder of the city, William Penn. A lot of people actually aren't aware of how tall it is. To give perspective: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...er_w_Billy.jpg
Good cities usually have things worth seeing..

Old 12-08-2014, 08:43 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,705,086 times
Quote:
RightonWalnut is a fanatical booster...oh god...that picture of the tweet is cringeworthy. And Philly is finally getting it's first supertall...Atlanta had one for what? 20+ years? When it was a 2.5 million people metro. Yawn.
Okay. And now we're getting a building 100 feet taller... and 100% better looking.

Things don't always happen overnight. Chicago had a taller building than NYC for what... 30+ years?

Now everything is correcting itself and all is right in the world.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Why was the tweet cringeworthy? Talking about buildings can be interesting. Philadelphia City Hall was the tallest building in the world for seven years and is still the tallest masonry building. Atop the tower, sits a 38ft tall statue of the founder of the city, William Penn. A lot of people actually aren't aware of how tall it is. To give perspective: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...er_w_Billy.jpg
Good cities usually have things worth seeing..
He's using an NFL's opinion of a city to validate his belief that Philly is a great city(which I'm not denying). I just feel like it's sad. Like I said before, it's just a city, not a personal accomplishment.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
This becomes more clear when I realize that you post a tweet that a NFL player says to validate your belief that Philly is a great city. Yikes....It's just a city...
What is so bad about that tweet? Lol.

No one is liking ATL's architecture... or lack there of.

If you really believe I went to Community College of Philadelphia... just lol.

Let's play a game. Guess where I went to college!

Old 12-08-2014, 08:48 PM

I'll just post this:

http://www.atkearney.com/documents/1...6-4c8eaf984cd5

Atlanta is at 36. I have yet to find Philly on the list. And keep in mind, this list takes in account multiple factors including business activity, human capital, information exchange, cultural exchange, and political engagement. These days, Atlanta is a more powerful city than Philly is.

1. NYC
6. Los Angeles
7. Chicago
10. Washington
21. Boston
22. San Francisco
29. Miami
36. Atlanta
38. Houston
50. Dallas

Since 2008, Atlanta is risen 4 spots, one of the fastest rising cities on the list.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:51 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,218,713 times
After looking at this page and the previous one, this thread is definitely on its way to being closed.....Probably won't even still be open come dawn...

Old 12-08-2014, 08:51 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,659,581 times
Quote:
I'll just post this:

http://www.atkearney.com/documents/1...6-4c8eaf984cd5

Atlanta is at 36. I have yet to find Philly on the list. And keep in mind, this list takes in account multiple factors including business activity, human capital, information exchange, cultural exchange, and political engagement. These days, Atlanta is a more powerful city than Philly is.
Agree with that completely. Atlanta continues to rise in every type of city ranking, domestically and globally.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:52 PM

Old 12-08-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Agree with that completely. Atlanta continues to rise in every type of city ranking, domestically and globally.
And Philly doesn't seem to show up anymore: That's stagnation to me. It was once the most powerful city in the country now...now it's an afterthought. Because people realize there's more to cities than some historic buildings and statues. If that's the case, every city in Europe would be more important than cities in America.

That's really Philly has to really offer: History...I can go to NYC, Boston, and D.C. for that, be in safer and more wealthier cities that don't have massive swaths of decrepit rowhouse neighborhoods. Philly is a larger version of Baltimore...great urban city, but...what else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City