Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2014, 09:04 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I'll just post this:

http://www.atkearney.com/documents/1...6-4c8eaf984cd5

Atlanta is at 36. I have yet to find Philly on the list. And keep in mind, this list takes in account multiple factors including business activity, human capital, information exchange, cultural exchange, and political engagement. These days, Atlanta is a more powerful city than Philly is.

1. NYC
6. Los Angeles
7. Chicago
10. Washington
21. Boston
22. San Francisco
29. Miami
36. Atlanta
38. Houston
50. Dallas

Since 2008, Atlanta is risen 4 spots, one of the fastest rising cities on the list.

One arbitrary list that doesn't even look at Philadelphia and analyze it?

Here is one that ranks Philadelphia over Atlanta
http://www.managementthinking.eiu.co...ot%20Spots.pdf

Atlanta is more powerful with that smaller GDP LOL
List of U.S. metropolitan areas by GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 09:06 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Loews. Not bad but definitely not as good as the one in Midtown Atlanta.
Seems like you were on the wrong (but improving) end of the city. I challenge you to come back...youll be singing a different tune

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
I can quickly go on the internet and post numerous bad reviews of Philly, but why would I do that? That's just someone's opinion of the city. I can just as easily go find out a great review of Atlanta...I don't see what you're trying to prove. At least I put up actual metrics, statistics, and a research firm that's actually reputable. You're just posting random people's opinions as if they matter anymore than yours do.

Quote:
And Philly doesn't seem to show up anymore: That's stagnation to me. It was once the most powerful city in the country now...now it's an afterthought. Because people realize there's more to cities than some historic buildings and statues. If that's the case, every city in Europe would be more important than cities in America.

That's really Philly has to really offer: History...I can go to NYC, Boston, and D.C. for that, be in safer and more wealthier cities that don't have massive swaths of decrepit rowhouse neighborhoods. Philly is a larger version of Baltimore...great urban city, but...what else?
Philadelphia is safer than Atlanta buddy.

Atlanta - In Photos: The 10 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities - Forbes

Old 12-08-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I can quickly go on the internet and post numerous bad reviews of Philly, but why would I do that? That's just someone's opinion of the city. I can just as easily go find out a great review of Atlanta...I don't see what you're trying to prove. At least I put up actual metrics, statistics, and a research firm that's actually reputable. You're just posting random people's opinions as if they matter anymore than yours do.
This isn't a review. It's an article on Curbed Atlanta called "what's wrong with Atlanta?"

Any "research firm" that doesn't take a look at Philly... one of the largest GDP's/Economies in the country, and larger than ATL's, is not very reputable lol.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
One arbitrary list that doesn't even look at Philadelphia and analyze it?

Here is one that ranks Philadelphia over Atlanta
http://www.managementthinking.eiu.co...ot%20Spots.pdf

Atlanta is more powerful with that smaller GDP LOL
List of U.S. metropolitan areas by GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Atlanta also a smaller city and metro yet it still stacks up just as well as Philly by that list. Houston and Dallas exceed Philly on that list while also having "dull bland suburbs" as you like to call them.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
This isn't a review. It's an article on Curbed Atlanta called "what's wrong with Atlanta?"

Any "research firm" that doesn't take a look at Philly... one of the largest GDP's/Economies in the country, and larger than ATL's, is not very reputable lol.
Because there's more to a city than just GDP and again, that article is someone's opinion.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Philadelphia is safer than Atlanta buddy.

Atlanta - In Photos: The 10 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities - Forbes
Did I say Atlanta was safer? No. I specifically said Boston, NYC, and D.C. Clearly, you didn't understand the point of the post.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
And Philly doesn't seem to show up anymore: That's stagnation to me. It was once the most powerful city in the country now...now it's an afterthought. Because people realize there's more to cities than some historic buildings and statues. If that's the case, every city in Europe would be more important than cities in America.

That's really Philly has to really offer: History...I can go to NYC, Boston, and D.C. for that, be in safer and more wealthier cities that don't have massive swaths of decrepit rowhouse neighborhoods. Philly is a larger version of Baltimore...great urban city, but...what else?
And every European city is better than Atlanta LOL.

What does Atlanta have to offer besides suburban neighborhoods and highways?

Philadelphia has better urbanity, history, nightlife, walk-ability, neighborhoods, restaurants, urban shopping, urban parks, universities, museums, theaters.... the list really goes on and on.

Philadelphia is better in almost every category than Atlanta...

31 Reasons Philadelphia is the Most Underrated City in America - from Huffington Post

31 Reasons Philadelphia Is The Most Underrated City In America

10 Reasons to Move to Philadelphia - from Zillow
10 Reasons to Move to Philadelphia – Zillow Blog - Real Estate Market Stats, Celebrity Real Estate, and Zillow News

Old 12-08-2014, 09:17 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,601,386 times
First of all, although it's completely fine to have strong opinions, let's all try to keep this thread civil and based on facts.

Quote:
I will just counter with this article from The Atlantic, which did a "survey of surveys" on global city rankings and ranks Philly 9th in the US. Atlanta doesn't appear in the top 10.

America's Most Powerful Global Cities - CityLab

I completely acknowledge that Atlanta has clearly grown in prominence enormously over the past few decades, but let's not forget that Philadelphia still remains one of the largest metro areas of the US. It also is making strides by increasing its global profile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City