Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2014, 10:06 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
If you were just comparing the downtown areas, Dallas would easily match LA. However, the access to the ocean and mountains does exist in LA and then they still have the thriving west side areas...Westwood, Wilshire, Miracle Mile, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, etc. There are also some nice places in other LA regions like Pasadena to the northeast. The summers are not as miserable except for some cities at the LA region's eastern edge that are basically in the desert. Dallas does have an NFL football team, though. LA does not. Dallas also has a lower COL than LA. Overall, LA may have an edge, but it is not so significant that anyone should realistically brag about it.
DTLA is well above Downtown Dallas in pretty much any criteria you can think of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 10:20 PM

108 posts, read 110,708 times
LOL, no offense, but Los Angeles and Dallas are nothing alike. I've lived in both, and I hated Dallas.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:36 AM

75 posts, read 205,039 times
Dallas proper is more of a Texany-Beverly Hills. Dallas/Ft.Worth metroplex is more like a mini-Los Angeles (Actually there is Dallas, Fort Worth, and everything else is different variations of suburbia). In Dallas, if you rent a room on the east side of 75 south of loop 12, you don't have to drive more than 10-15 minutes to get anywhere. That is what I missed--you would have a small town commute with big city payoff. Good looking women everywhere in Dallas--the different neighborhoods were indicative of what type of attractive women you would run into. The "exclusive" clubs in Dallas are home to the "Less Than Zero" wannabe underworld of high society/high society butt kissin leaches. Poser city, 30k millionaires that lived in Plano, Frisco, etc. These clubs usually are very small but you would run into the same people all the time, sprinkled with a Mavs Cowboy player (Jason terry and Eric Dampier used to see a lot). Picture "Supperclub" in Hollywood without the big dance floor with the surrounding tables--thats the typical size of an exclusive club in Dallas. Nice when youre younger & you care about appearances but it's the same old song & dance. Also, Dallas is pretty white-washed (not a good/bad thing, it is what it is). That revelation hit me when I moved to Houston lol. With that said, Dallas is a nice, clean city & I wouldn't cry myself to sleep if I had to move back.

The thing I loved about Los Angeles when I would visit is that it seemed like there were so many different pockets to discover & by the time you would circle back to what you know, there would be enough of a shift to explore something new. Or you can just move to another neighborhood (ala NYC).It is a slower burn to conquer & figure out vs a city like Dallas.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:42 PM

513 posts, read 913,164 times
Dallas is as similar to L.A as ketchup is to a toilet. Nothing in common. Nada. Cero. Zero. Zilch. Niente. Thank god.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:03 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,386,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajack78 View Post
Dallas is as similar to L.A as ketchup is to a toilet. Nothing in common. Nada. Cero. Zero. Zilch. Niente. Thank god.
I wouldn't be QUITE that harsh.

But to compare LA to any other city in the US, except NYC, is to commit what rhetoricians call a "category error".

There are a lot of great cities in the US, but only NYC and LA are world-class.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:48 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dreamer View Post
Dallas proper is more of a Texany-Beverly Hills. Dallas/Ft.Worth metroplex is more like a mini-Los Angeles (Actually there is Dallas, Fort Worth, and everything else is different variations of suburbia). In Dallas, if you rent a room on the east side of 75 south of loop 12, you don't have to drive more than 10-15 minutes to get anywhere. That is what I missed--you would have a small town commute with big city payoff. Good looking women everywhere in Dallas--the different neighborhoods were indicative of what type of attractive women you would run into. The "exclusive" clubs in Dallas are home to the "Less Than Zero" wannabe underworld of high society/high society butt kissin leaches. Poser city, 30k millionaires that lived in Plano, Frisco, etc. These clubs usually are very small but you would run into the same people all the time, sprinkled with a Mavs Cowboy player (Jason terry and Eric Dampier used to see a lot). Picture "Supperclub" in Hollywood without the big dance floor with the surrounding tables--thats the typical size of an exclusive club in Dallas. Nice when youre younger & you care about appearances but it's the same old song & dance. Also, Dallas is pretty white-washed (not a good/bad thing, it is what it is). That revelation hit me when I moved to Houston lol. With that said, Dallas is a nice, clean city & I wouldn't cry myself to sleep if I had to move back.

The thing I loved about Los Angeles when I would visit is that it seemed like there were so many different pockets to discover & by the time you would circle back to what you know, there would be enough of a shift to explore something new. Or you can just move to another neighborhood (ala NYC).It is a slower burn to conquer & figure out vs a city like Dallas.
Precisely. Well said.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:02 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcy2004 View Post
la is expensive, too populated, dirty kind of third world (especially the downtown area) that has nothing to offer unless you live in west la and hollywood/santa monica/beverly hills trio but not a lot can afford to do so. The job market has crushed and the economy is pretty bad as it gets. Its hard to find a job anyhow.. i ve been unemployed for almost a year to the point that i gave up and opened my own business. In a typical interview process i had to compete with another 100+ people for 1 position or 2 max. Too bad

People of LA are more pretentious and fake compared to people elsewhere. Unless you are a movie star wanna be, i dont see why moving to la would be the best option for you. Dallas on the other hand is pretentious but has more value to offer as far as life goes. I find Dallas people more down to earth, straight forward and friendlier than of people in LA.

If you ask for my opinion, Dallas would be your best choice
Dallas manages to be both pretentious and down to earth/friendly? I have nothing in particular against Dallas (except that brutal heat in the summer when they get the 40 days in a row with 95+ degrees, etc and their worship of the Cowboys...LOL), but that is a pretty impressive accomplishment.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTex View Post
Nope. Jerry Jones decided to put the team in Arlington, which is why the Final Four was said to be in "North Texas". Huge loss for Dallas, 30+ year mistake. People here give Jerry a pass and blame the then mayor, but it was his decision and he could have waited a couple years for the next mayor if he wanted. They say he got a better deal; yeah the rent is lower in the low rent district go figure. People don't want to fly to Dallas only to have a long commute to Arlington for an event and then straight back to Dallas for the after party because there is no reason for a tourist to hang in Arlington. People from out of town have not been happy about their Superbowl, Final Four, etc. experience. Conversely if the stadium has been put in west Dallas where the new bridge leads it could have really had an impact on that area like the American Airlines Center has had, or even Fair Park as many have suggested, but west Dallas would have been better. And a lot more people would be willing to do a weekend trip for an event.
OK, an NFL team about 10-12 miles or so away from Dallas. Still much closer than the nearest team to LA (in San Diego). Yes, west Dallas would have been a better choice.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Yeah, but you have to live in Dallas to do it.

There's a reason why Greater Los Angeles has a larger population than Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and Austin's metros COMBINED. It's simply a far better city. Is it tougher to make it out here? Sure. Are more people willing to give it a shot as opposed to living in places like Dallas? You bet.
By your logic, then Mexico City must be a far better city than LA as it has a greater metro population. Greater population does not necessarily mean better area. You must be consistent.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajack78 View Post
You are living in Pacific Palisades, so I can understand that comment. That may be the most affluent area outside Beverly Hills/Malibu in the LA area. It is also on a beautiful part of the coast. If you were in South Central LA, you would beg for the Star Trek "beam me to Dallas" machine in a nano second. Not even debatable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City