Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city by design?
Toronto 25 19.38%
Chicago 44 34.11%
San Francisco 24 18.60%
Washington DC 36 27.91%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 02:40 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,890,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
Nope, haven't been to any of those places. Could just be I'm going to the wrong places.

I'm not saying that Toronto has a bad dining scene; not by a long shot. It has almost every kind of cuisine, and everything from super high-end to hole-in-the-wall. I've had tons of good meals in Toronto.

I just get a feeling that Canadians, as a whole, go out to restaurants a little bit less than Americans (and again, I think the higher restaurant prices and cultural/economic differences play somewhat of a role).

It's like if you compare equal-sized German and Italian cities. The German are just more thrifty, generally, and less culturally attuned to spending money all the time eating out, I think. I think, to a much lesser extent, that plays a role in why Toronto, while a good eating town, isn't really comparable to a SF or a Chicago in dining scene, even if Toronto is roughly similar sized, and arguably greater diversity.
Try the restaurants I mentioned to you on your next T.O trip. Canoe is worth it alone simply for the view.. Plus it unique because of its focus on Canadian cuisine so at least will be different for you! I'm sure you will find it greater than a 'MEH' lol..

Canoe Restaurant & Bar, 54th Floor, Toronto. Bars & pubs - Time Out Toronto

Socioeconomics is a part of it but remember that the average Canadian has a higher net worth than the average American because of our Real Estate Values, so even though we generally make less in a job, we make up for it in the value of our property.

I do think you are right however, that Americans just eat out more than we do. I'm well above average in terms of income in either Canada or the U.S and yet I cook most of my meals and rarely go out to restaurants, yet I travel Internationally no less than 3 times per year and i'm talking trans-atlantic and tran-pacific type vacations (not for business) so more of my disposable income is geared for travelling the world as opposed to eating at expensive restaurants. I refuse to spend 100 bucks on a dinner for two unless it is a very special occasion. I just can't justify it vs saving to experience cuisine when I'm actually in a country like Thailand or India. I'm getting the real deal and for A LOT less than what i'd pay anywhere in N.A.

As I mentioned to another poster, I specifically didn't compare T.O to either S.F or Chicago in terms of cuisine, I was comparing it to Montreal because another poster brought that up.

Last edited by fusion2; 04-18-2014 at 02:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 08:12 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Why don't you take a trip to Chicago and Toronto when the weather is nicer and explore the city?
Because I don't want to... There are other places I wish to explore.

Quote:
That would be easier than relying on boring business trips.
I was paid well on the business trips. It was a job. It was a livelihood. I may have seen more on those 10 to 50 trips to Chicago than some people posting in this thread. There are other places I would like to explore before going back to Chicago...

Old 04-18-2014, 08:31 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I may have seen more on those 10 to 50 trips to Chicago than some people posting in this thread.
Oh I don't doubt that. People on here like posting about places they've never been. Really though, I've been to most of the US and Chicago in the summertime is quite awesome. Consider it someday, trust me.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:31 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Quote:
Oh I don't doubt that. People on here like posting about places they've never been. Really though, I've been to most of the US and Chicago in the summertime is quite awesome. Consider it someday, trust me.
Looks like the survey is swinging to Chicago. Guess I was wrong... I will stay here in the warmer Southwest.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:37 PM

I don't get it...

Old 04-19-2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
I don't get it...
You're not the only one

Old 04-19-2014, 12:23 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,974,015 times
For those that haven't been to Toronto and want to see more than just skyscrapers. Here's the design of the city integrated with street life, architecture, history, urban parks, grit/character, squares, natural environment, commercial corridors, and festivals/parades/live street entertainment.

Toronto:

Bloor Street: One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. Seven.

Casa Loma, began construction in 1911 and was completed in 1914, was built for Sir Henry Mill Pellatt. One. Two. Three.

Secret tunnelway to the Stables. The Stables. The Garden. View from Casa Loma..

The Distillary District: One. Two. Three. Four.

The Legislature Building: One. Two. Three.Queens Park.

Kensington Market: Public art. Public art/grit and character. Bazaar. Festival of Lights (Kensington Market).

Old City Hall. The density of CBD. Saint Lawrence area. Saint Lawrence Market. Buskerfest in Saint Lawrence. Street level of Yonge Street. Continuation of Yonge Street. Yonge between Queen and Bloor. Toronto Life Square. Luminato at YD.

The Princess Gates were established by Edward, the Price of Wales to mark the 60th year anniversary/birthday of Canada. One. Two.
Three. The Exhibition Ground. Opening of Toronto International Film Festival at the Exhibition Ground. Caribana at the Exhibition Ground. Beaches on Lake Ontario. Continuation of beaches on Lake Ontario.

Lantern Festival on Lake Ontario: One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six.

High Park: One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. Seven. Eight.

Cabbagetown: One. Two. Three.

Allen Lambert Galleria: One. Two. Three.

One. Two. Three.

The subway. The (newly renovated) Museum Station. The platform. Union Station. Chinatown. Chinatown at night.

Zombie walk: One. Two. Three. Four.

Elgin Theater and Yonge Street: One. Two. Three. Four. Five.

Boating at night in Lake Ontario overlooking the city. Continuation of the view from Lake Ontario. The crowds at YD. The Princess Gates (again). Downtown Toronto (at street level). Blurred vision. Nightscape. The listening centre. Ice cold drinks in an ice cold atmosphere. Indigo, the typical hipster locale. Christmas on Yonge Street. Queen Street afternoon. Performance at Saint Agnew. The ROM. Osgoode Hall. Old Cabbagetown. When Yonge twists and turns. Ice skating at night in Nathan Philips. Black and white streetscape. Caught exiting the subway for street level. When it's cold and people start walking in the middle of the road. Black and white panorama. The Gardiner Expressway. Ironic sales of private under public art. Detroit-like in deep context. Black and white aerial. The canyon twists and keeps on going. Gardiner again. Of course these are common transportation methods. The general traffic flow. Going inland. Black and white street level Downtown Toronto. Massey Hall. Reverse commute. Cherry blossoms. Long range street grid lights. The east. Those pot smoking hippies. Downtown in light and darkness. The rooftops. The marina. Autumn yellows. Urban park system. Condo canyon. Biking through the abandoned tunnels. Wall to wall. Gooderham & Worts. Gooderham again. Blurry and misty night. Red light in the sky. Subways are not wheelchair accessible. When Lake Ontario curves while you drive along it. Abandoned steel. Morning jog. Wellington Street. Graffiti under the bridge. Elevated subway. Two separate stores under one roof and no wall. Contemplation of the view? Single family density. Black and white street lights. Dundas and Spadina. Pedestrian Sundays, dancing in the streets. Alley in the winter. Late night vendor. Single family. Cherry blossoms in High Park. Legal sanctuary. YD panorama. Old York Lane in Yorkville. Sugar Beach.

Graveyard of bikes. Graveyard of old 1990's tech. Being watched. Abandoned shaft. It's like seeing the Matrix.

Fin.

In a nutshell, a small sample of Toronto for those that haven't seen it yet.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:33 AM

^^Great collection again! Only critique is that the skyline shot from the CN Tower is pretty dated. At about 5 years old that is a long time for a city as transformative as T.O
Regardless, as your pics demonstrate, the city is far more than a bunch of skyscrapers!

Old 04-19-2014, 12:36 AM

These are all awesome photos. Thanks for sharing. Definitely need to get back to that city soon. One of my coworkers (who's originally from Canada) is there again for a project - I'm kind of jealous of him. It's funny because I have another friend who went to grad school just outside of Toronto and moved to Chicago last year. She said she didn't like it but loves Chicago. It's always interesting to learn about various people's preferences.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:36 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,974,015 times
I hate how the hyperlink went and automated two pictures to post themselves like that. They really have to work out the bugs with this thing when it comes to broken links and sensitive hyperlinks.

Didn't mean to post those two pictures like that, just seemed to happen by itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City