Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best all around region for Craft beer in The United States?
Greak Lakes:IL, IN, MI, OH, WI 62 22.55%
Mid-AtlanticE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, D.C. 26 9.45%
Midwest: IA, KS, MN, MO, NE, ND, SD 16 5.82%
Mountain: CO, ID, MT, NV, UT, WY 29 10.55%
New England: CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT 14 5.09%
Northwest: AK, OR, WA 65 23.64%
Pacific: CA, HI 27 9.82%
South: AL, AR, KY, LA, MS, TN 5 1.82%
South-Atlantic: FL, GA, NC, SC, VA, WV 19 6.91%
Southwest: AZ, NM, OK, TX 12 4.36%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 10:55 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I have a STRONG feeling that the same problem of not knowing about others' regions isn't unique to Colorado.

Unless you've had the best of the best (according to Beer Advocate, for example) or traveled to all regions of the country and have extensively tried the beer selection, it's hard to know for certain. For me, I've had many beers from the best breweries in the country/world, but not the best beers. For example, good luck getting your hands on a Three Floyd's Dark Lord Burbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout bomber -- widely considered one of the best beers on the planet! I know I haven't!
I very much agree. Most of my favorite breweries here in CO have very limited distribution- sometimes just in CO, other times in CO and peripheral states. The flip side of that is that I can't get much from the Upper MW or the NE in a local liquor store, and sometimes you can only try the best of the best on a special tasting at a beer-centric bar (like Falling Rock or Freshcraft in Denver). When I lived in NC, we had a much broader selection, all having to do with the distributors. Again, the good thing is that there are very tasty breweries all over the country; very few people are located in an area where they can't get any high quality local, or at least regional ales. But it's hard for a lot of people to know for certain who makes the best beer, especially if you don't have access to many of the contenders.....

That said, the proliferation of breweries, as well as beer culture, does vary by region. Colorado- and especially the Fort Collins-Denver part of the Front Range- is literally ground zero right now for craft breweries. And the CO lifestyle and atmosphere makes CO more like a west coast state in regards to micro culture. We may not have the votes for it on this poll, but we definitely represent in the number of breweries. Also, it's no coincidence that Denver hosts the granddaddy beer events like World Beer Cup, as well the yearly GABF. And the Cannabis Cup, I might add. It's become a tradition that 4 or 5 breweries rush to open in time for the GABF. Anyway, take a look at the region below-

Boulder/Denver Beer Map | The Beer Mapping Project

20 breweries that plan to open in Denver in 2014 | Westword

Regarding the earlier poster mentioning foreign visitors, I certainly appreciate their historical contribution to beer. But tastes vary, and much of the beer they're used to is steeped in tradition, so they don't get very adventurous. Of course our beer tastes different- I would expect someone in UK drinking a pale ale made with Fuggles or Goldings hops to find the taste of an American IPA made with Cascades or Simcoe to be a bit over the top. Often people like what they're used to, and beer makes you comfortable. Though it's worth mentioning that when my friends in Germany come over to visit, time after time they prefer drinking a case of cheap, watery beer like Natty Light, because they can drink 12 or 18 and still function. They have no interest in trying American microbrews, insisting their beers at home are the best. Their loss. I agree with dalparadise, pour me another Sculpin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 12:41 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,134 times
In terms of quantity of great beer, easily the West. WA, OR, and CA should be one region.

New England has LOTS of good beers, but in terms of large scale excellence it's still rather mediocre. Also NYC based brands like Six Point and Brooklyn are completely overrated.

My all-time favorite beers stem out of the Mountain West and Northeast. Mainly Great Divide and Dogfishhead

Old 05-20-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
To be fair, when I have Euro friends visit me they pretty much dislike our good craft beers almost across the board. There are exceptions, but to many even our lower hopped beers are still way too hoppy.

There are exceptions of course. And if you're in the UK and used to a real ale, what we have here is a very different thing.
Probably because they lack good taste buds. They have been force-fed blandish beer that has been around for hundreds of years.

Not that German beer is bad, I enjoy a good Bitburger or Spaten every once in a while. It just can't top American craft beer.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Well look at it this way: most of the other mountain states aren't really known for their craft beer besides Colorado. I know Montana and Idaho have a few, but not comparable. So it's essentially Colorado competing against entire regions. California is too (Hawaii does have Kona beer but, meh) but I think in terms of raw numbers California has way more breweries.

Colorado has some amazing breweries - Avery, Odell, Left Hand just off the top of my head all have some very very good beers. But so does the Northeast, the Great Lakes, the Pac NW, and California. I think per capita Colorado might take the cake.... but in terms of raw numbers, I think it falls short. Again - not a knock against Colorado. But it's just one state.
Very true. Colorado has a lot of breweries that are GREAT but struggle to get distribution out of the state.

You're from KC -- you should know how great your local brewery is and is getting some major traction (Boulevard). First time I had Boulevard was at a tasting event in Vail, CO just last year.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:53 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
To be fair, when I have Euro friends visit me they pretty much dislike our good craft beers almost across the board. There are exceptions, but to many even our lower hopped beers are still way too hoppy.

There are exceptions of course. And if you're in the UK and used to a real ale, what we have here is a very different thing.
I live in the NW, so I'm used to heavy use of our local Cascade hops--however it's gotten to be a bit much. I like the more interesting tastes of a lot of Belgian ales--and I think I prefer real UK IPAs. Some of the local West Coast IPAs are just too damn hoppy at this point.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:32 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Why so many more votes for the Great Lakes than New England? Outside of the Pacific Northwest / Mountain West, New England has a lot:

File:Craft Breweries Per Capita (US).png - Wikimedia Commons

Old 05-20-2014, 02:35 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Why so many more votes for the Great Lakes than New England? Outside of the Pacific Northwest / Mountain West, New England has a lot:

Yeah, Allagash White in Maine is one of my favorite beers. Pennsylvania and Delaware also have some great ones-Victory, Dogfish Head, Slyfox, Stoudts, Yards, Lancaster, PBC.

The Philadelphia Brewing Company's Kenzinger beer is usually the cheap beer in most Philly bars ($3-4) instead of Miller/Coors light, etc which is awesome.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 05-20-2014 at 02:52 PM..

Old 05-20-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:

I don't agree with that either. Midwest has a few truly excellent breweries that I can name off the top of my head: Great Lakes, Founders, & Boulevard. Goose Island is for the most part horrible except for the Bourbon County Stout.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:00 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:

interesting. Among more populated states CA and PA do pretty well - dont know the raw numbers but enjoyed the map none-the-less

Old 05-20-2014, 05:14 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,706,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
I don't agree with that either. Midwest has a few truly excellent breweries that I can name off the top of my head: Great Lakes, Founders, & Boulevard. Goose Island is for the most part horrible except for the Bourbon County Stout.
Two Brothers, Three Floyds, Front Street, Arcadia, New Holland, Lakefront, Bells, Capital, Dark Horse, Metropolitan, Revolution....well that's all I can think of but the Midwest has more than a few good companies plus Goose Island is good, not amazing but it's good.

Best beers by area:

Northeast-
Dogfish Head
Brooklyn

South-
Thomas Creek
Good People

Midwest-
Founders
Great Lakes

Northwest-
Rogue
Big Sky

West-
Great Divide
Left Hand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City