Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 08:05 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhichWayDoIGo View Post
I'm thinking LA would be a better music city for the reason you mentioned.

However, some of the best musicians I know were raised in and still live in Chicago. Not interested in the industry, but I do know the industry attracted A-list musicians.
Yes, let's put it this way though. Both cities you can pretty much see any big act as they go to both cities all the time for obvious reasons. Now, if you're a musician and want some lessons - you can get that in both obviously, but if you wanted to shell out the $$, then you can get lessons from more studio musicians in LA than you can in Chicago. Or if you want to be in the music industry itself, then of course LA will be better for that. If you're the type of person who just likes music then both cities offer it big time.

Chicago also has some huge music festivals in the summer (Lollapalooza, Spring Awakening, etc) and also a lot of smaller street festivals where most have live music at them.

Quote:
Diversity?

I'm black. But, I know that both LA and Chicago are very, very diverse. At the same time, my interests are such that, my being black wouldn't make me lean more towards one city more than the other. Not overly concerned about race relations. I grew up in a southern town where race was a REAL issue, and I was still indifferent to all of it.
Yeah both are very diverse cities but Chicago is a bit more segregated than LA. The city used to be known as a more racist city but it's much better now than it used to be. Not perfect, and LA probably has better white-black relations than Chicago. If you grew up with real race issues, then this would be no big deal from what I know in either city. You may find people in gentrified neighborhoods get scared when a group of black teens with baggy jeans is approaching them with nobody else around, but for everything else nobody really gives a **** it seems...at least in my neighborhood (Gold Coast, which is downtown). The trendier areas of town like Gold Coast and River North (which are downtown) and also South Loop (also kind of downtown, just south of it) and areas like Wicker Park (just NW of downtown) will have a lot more mixing of races as far as daily enjoying your life type of stuff goes. The percentages aren't huge, but if you're curious, check out this map I made of Chicago. It's by census tract and you can see the makeup racially of every tract in town:

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/...l-8QQ#map:id=4

Some people may report problems, but in these types of areas you won't have much of a problem. I dated a black girl last summer who hung out downtown all the time and I had conversations with her about race relations. She never had a problem, and when we hung out nobody ever said anything to us. I also had a girlfriend before her from SE asia for over a year - no problems.

Chicago is a pretty liberal city though I think LA is a little bit more progressive overall.

Quote:
I'm kind of 'it is what it is' about a lot of things. lol. Life is in no way perfect. People aren't perfect - and I have no expectations of being loved and embraced by everyone.
Yeah, that's how I am. It's a good way to go Unless it's just really terrible, then there's other options out there of course.

Quote:
COL is important if there is really no difference between LA and Chicago based on my criteria. If LA was heads and shoulder above Chicago in those areas, then I'd choose LA.
LA is more expensive than Chicago on average. You can spend a lot on a place in Chicago, but you don't really have to. You can find 1 bedroom apartments in nice neighborhoods of Chicago for around $1000/month or even less. My 1 bedroom apartment on the 25th floor downtown costs me $1400/month and includes a gym, doorman, etc. Under average but you can get a nice one for not much more.

Cost of food is probably about even, but the thing to consider is that it's probably easier to live without a car in Chicago, so when you consider transportation + housing, then Chicago is for sure cheaper if you don't require a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 08:07 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,827 times
As far as sporting events go, you've got the Dodgers, the Lakers, the Clippers, the Kings and LA Galaxy all in one city. The Angels aren't far away.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:08 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,827 times
Quote:
I'm black.
Me, too.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:09 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,755,076 times
LA sells itself without trying.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Personally, I think you should base your decision on whichever team wins the Western Conference final.

(In other words, you'll be moving to Chicago )

Old 05-21-2014, 08:19 PM

If you've never been to Chicago then you should visit, and this summer I'd recommend. I would never move to a place blind unless I got a good offer, personally.

As far as music fests go, here's what Chicago offers. All of these are in the city and a few are right downtown:
* Lollapalooza 2014 | August 1-3, 2014 : Grant Park : Chicago, IL (Loop - downtown)
* Spring Awakening Music Festival (South Loop - downtown)
* Pitchfork Music Festival 2014 (West Loop - just outside of downtown)
* Wavefront Music Festival (Uptown - 8-10 miles north of downtown on a beach)
* North Coast Music Festival (West Loop - same place as Pitchfork)
* Riot Fest Chicago (Humboldt Park - 5-6 miles NW of downtown)
* City of Chicago :: Chicago Blues Festival (Loop - downtown)
* City of Chicago :: Chicago Jazz Festival (Loop - downtown)
* City of Chicago :: World Music Festival Chicago (Loop - downtown)
* The Chosen Few Picnic Weekend 2014 ‹ Chosen Few (Woodlawn - 8 miles south of downtown)
* thirdrailmusic (Just outside of downtown)

And some more. and then of course smaller street fests all over like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoezH3Ca47A and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX80HgeMjcQ)

Last edited by marothisu; 05-21-2014 at 08:36 PM..

Old 05-21-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Personally, I think you should base your decision on whichever team wins the Western Conference final.

(In other words, you'll be moving to Chicago )
2 quick goals for LA right after you said that...LOL

Old 05-21-2014, 08:22 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
2 quick goals for LA right after you said that...LOL
And another...your jinxing your city bros

Old 05-21-2014, 08:25 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say that...

...I'm just making it known that the usual things that people rave about LA/So. Cal don't matter. However, I know LA is more than weather and beaches.

I knew those things would come into the discussion/debate, so I wanted to make it known up front that those things didn't matter.

However, when I visited LA, I enjoyed myself A LOT. There are so many things to do there. I'm sure I've barely scratched the surface.
To me Los Angeles is such a fun city to live in. It has probably more things to do and places to see than just about anywhere. I am still thoroughly impressed. I do have to rave about the weather because wherever I lived I was never able to enjoy any of them almost 365 days a year. And don't think the weather is the same everyday and LA has no seasons because it does. Just not as extreme as most places. There's so much more to LA than beaches and great weather. Much more.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
And another...your jinxing your city bros
You must be a few minutes ahead of me - weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City