Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 08:28 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,921 times

Advertisements

Kings killin yo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 08:29 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Kings killin yo
They definitely are in this period

Old 06-17-2014, 08:28 AM

120 posts, read 219,372 times
LA, visit Chicago in the summer.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:51 PM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Are you planning to have a car in both cities? One thing to keep in mind is that in Chicago you will likely be spending more time outside walking/taking public transportation than you would if you had a car.

On the flipside, Chicago to me is far, far easier to get around, especially if you aren't using a car. I lived in South Pasadena and it seemed like if I wanted to do anything outside of the "bubble" of Pasadena/SGV it was such a production due to traffic, parking, etc.

Seems to me based only off of what you said that you would do fine in either city if you were in a neighborhood that offered what you are looking for in immediate proximity. Both have a good amount of those kinds neighborhoods. But I'm venturing to guess being around interesting shops and bookstores and live music aren't the only factors at play.
One can say that really about any of Chicago suburbs too about being a bubble where it is a "production to do anything. Growing up in the Chicago burbs, I found it just more of a production taking the metra to the city. And Pasadena/SGV has more culture and things to do than anywhere in Chicagoland outside the city proper.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:40 AM

4 posts, read 3,383 times
I think the OP would love downtown LA, or at least what DTLA is becoming.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:13 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
As a Chicago native, I've traveled to LA numerous times. I frankly believe LA has more things to do (though that's like saying LA has 1000 things while Chicago has 850 things). Both cities have lots to do, LA just so happens to be more of a "dream city" nowadays compared to Chicago. That said, in many ways Chicago is overlooked often as being a city of crime and "the murder capital", but the fact is there is more nice things to the city than there are bad things, and the bad things almost entirely happen in concentrated bad areas that no person in the right mind would live in in the first place. LA has bad parts too, like Compton and Inglewood. Traffic is terrible in both cities, no use trying to say which one is better. Although as someone else pointed out, in Chicago you'll probably be more reliant on Public Transportation than you will with a car. LA definitely is more reliant on cars than PT. Overall, both cities have many mirrors. Also, you sound more like a person who doesn't want to be in a bunch of hype, or an area that is so trendy to the world. In which case, that sounds like Chicago would be better, because LA is more for people who want to live in "Paradise", and "the warm weather", and "where all the celebs are at". Chicago is more laid back, and while it does have it's fair share of celebrities residing there and trendy areas, it's not as "bad" or as extreme as LA. I'd say Chicago for, you just because you don't seem to care too much about what makes LA so appealing to most (the hot weather year round, pop culture, movie sets, famous people, etc.) Either way If you chose one, you should definitely in the future try and live in the other.

Last edited by CCrest182; 06-18-2014 at 01:22 AM..

Old 06-18-2014, 01:32 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LADude23 View Post
I think the OP would love downtown LA, or at least what DTLA is becoming.
Downtown LA still can't compare to the Loop in Chicago. Heck, Downtown LA can't compare to Downtown Portland. It still has a long, long ways to go. Too many warehouses, pawn shops, and essentially is still a poor man's downtown to this day.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:25 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
In which case, that sounds like Chicago would be better, because LA is more for people who want to live in "Paradise", and "the warm weather", and "where all the celebs are at". Chicago is more laid back, and while it does have it's fair share of celebrities residing there and trendy areas, it's not as "bad" or as extreme as LA. I'd say Chicago for, you just because you don't seem to care too much about what makes LA so appealing to most (the hot weather year round, pop culture, movie sets, famous people, etc.) Either way If you chose one, you should definitely in the future try and live in the other.
Have you actually lived in LA? I'm not trying to bash your post at all and you make some good points, but every day living in LA is nothing like how you describe it. It sounds more of a description of a visitor who is looking at the city through rose-colored glasses. The movie sets quickly become an annoyance more than anything especially if they are closing off streets that you travel through to get to work or w/e. And you can see famous people if you really want to scope them out but I honestly couldn't care less and I bet most people in LA couldn't either. Now granted, I didn't work in the entertainment industry, but in real life most people in LA don't. What you see on TV is not always reality.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:22 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Have you actually lived in LA? I'm not trying to bash your post at all and you make some good points, but every day living in LA is nothing like how you describe it. It sounds more of a description of a visitor who is looking at the city through rose-colored glasses. The movie sets quickly become an annoyance more than anything especially if they are closing off streets that you travel through to get to work or w/e. And you can see famous people if you really want to scope them out but I honestly couldn't care less and I bet most people in LA couldn't either. Now granted, I didn't work in the entertainment industry, but in real life most people in LA don't. What you see on TV is not always reality.
Yep, this sums it up.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:30 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
If you've never been to Chicago then you should visit, and this summer I'd recommend. I would never move to a place blind unless I got a good offer, personally.

As far as music fests go, here's what Chicago offers. All of these are in the city and a few are right downtown:
* Lollapalooza 2014 | August 1-3, 2014 : Grant Park : Chicago, IL (Loop - downtown)
* Spring Awakening Music Festival (South Loop - downtown)
* Pitchfork Music Festival 2014 (West Loop - just outside of downtown)
* Wavefront Music Festival (Uptown - 8-10 miles north of downtown on a beach)
* North Coast Music Festival (West Loop - same place as Pitchfork)
* Riot Fest Chicago (Humboldt Park - 5-6 miles NW of downtown)
* City of Chicago :: Chicago Blues Festival (Loop - downtown)
* City of Chicago :: Chicago Jazz Festival (Loop - downtown)
* City of Chicago :: World Music Festival Chicago (Loop - downtown)
* The Chosen Few Picnic Weekend 2014 ‹ Chosen Few (Woodlawn - 8 miles south of downtown)
* thirdrailmusic (Just outside of downtown)

And some more. and then of course smaller street fests all over like this (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoezH3Ca47A and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX80HgeMjcQ)

Also, these are not just neighborhood fests. These are "massive," top-tier music festivals attracting people from across the US. I'm not sure there is another city on the continent with more top-tier festivals (that said, I don't really follow these fests too closely). Frankly, I'm kind of astounded at the quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City