Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The following city has the greatest influence on the rest of the U.S.A...
New York City 502 68.30%
Los Angeles 233 31.70%
Voters: 735. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 12:33 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,851,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
No I havent lived in LA but have spent enough time to know the city, unlike KONY who seems to take everything he knows about LA from you.

The areas in the southern SFV along the SM Mountains are nice in places like Woodland Hills, Encino, Studio City, etc... Not ghetto IMO.

I wouldn't say 1/2 the Westside is ghetto at all, I think from Hancock Park west, south of Hollywood, and north of Venice Blvd is nice with some bad pockets here and there but overall good. Venice is dumpy but not what I would consider "ghetto"

And again I never even argued with your original "ghetto" comment b/c I realize how subjective it can be, I was just arguing about your "crime ridden" comment.
Fair enough...how about we get this thread back on track? What would you like to discuss on the subject of influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 12:33 AM

18,983 posts, read 32,686,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
You used foreigner in a bad context. OK let me define what foreign means so that you may learn.

Foreigner is a person who comes from a foreign country. AND Puerto Rico is not a foreign country LOL.
This is the definition I was thinking of when I used it:

"chiefly dialect
: one not native to a place or community"

I made an assumption you were not native to NYC b/c your posts seem to indicate you are not a native English speaker. I already apologized for making that incorrect assumption and I'm not sure what else you want and I do not feel like running in a constant circle with you b/c you just don't get. So why don't we "fougettaboutit" now? Hopefully you can comprehend that since its in your native NY tongue.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-24-2009 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 06-24-2009, 12:38 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,621,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Fair enough...how about we get this thread back on track? What would you like to discuss on the subject of influence.
As far as influence, NYC's more influential, even in L.A.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:41 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,706,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
This is the definition I was thinking of when I used it:

"chiefly dialect : one not native to a place or community"

I made an assumption you were not native to NYC b/c your posts seem to indicate you are not a native English speaker. I already apologized for making that incorrect assumption and I'm not sure what else you want and I do not feel like running in a constant circle with you b/c you just don't get. So why don't we "fougettaboutit" now? Hopefully you can comprehend that since its in your native NY tongue.
Ok, no hard feelings.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:43 AM

18,983 posts, read 32,686,129 times
Quote:
agreed, I'm over it. Hopefully nobody takes what I said the wrong way b/c I have nothing against NYC at all and its always been one of my favorite cities in the US.

As far as influence I'd give to the edge to NYC b/c of how much longer its been influential, since pretty much the beginning of our country. But this can still be somewhat debatable b/c for the relatively short time LA as been a major US city, it has been quite influential. Overall its NYC but if you take a look at just the past 50 years it could be argued LA is equal and maybe more. I'm not making that argument but I can see how someone could.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:56 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,851,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Agreed except for the southern part

Cadillac-Corning and Del Rey aren't half the West Side. Palms and southern Mar Vista are run down and depressing but aren't quite ghetto (OK, maybe the very southwesternmost part of MV). In any case that would only be about 20% of the West Side. And the only "bad" neighborhoods on the West Side which would be considered bad neighborhoods in other parts of L.A. would be Cadillac-Corning and Venice's Oakwood.

Not as ghetto as it used to be, although East Hollywood/Melrose Hill/Koreatown are very ghetto. The parts of Hollywood closest to West Hollywood and Fairfax are not ghetto at all. Nor is Franklin Village ghetto.
Los Feliz is the nicest neighborhood in all of L.A. I wouldn't consider Silver Lake to be ghetto nor is Hancock Park ghetto.
Hollywood fits your "half ghetto" remark more than the West Side.

Except for Mount Washington which is about as "ghetto" as Pacific Palisades

Not ghetto at all except for Oakwood/Ghost Town.

Agreed.

Agreed, except not all of Pedro's ghetto

Downtown's about half ghetto. Kind of like Hollywood nowadays, I take it you haven't been in Hollywood lately.

It is true that NYC has less violent crime than L.A. though (and also less violent crime than San Francisco - not to mention FAR less than Oakland)
Mount Washington is full of Cholos from what I remember.. I'll give you what you said about the west side, and I haven't been to hollywood in 7 years. The San ernado valley is pretty ghetto and not sure what you meant about the southern part. I was there last June and NOHO and van Nuys haven't changed. maybe you're refering to places like Encino, but I consider those parts practically the hills.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:43 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,621,660 times
Quote:
Mount Washington is full of Cholos from what I remember..
It's right next to neighborhoods that are like Highland Park and Lincoln Heights. It has more crime than say the Palisades but that's because of what areas surround it. If the Palisades was right next to Lincoln Heights and Highland Park rather than Santa Monica and Brentwood it would have FAR more crime than it does. Mount Washington is not a ghetto and never has been a ghetto.

Quote:
I'll give you what you said about the west side, and I haven't been to hollywood in 7 years.
There've been some pretty big changes even though certainly there are still nasty parts of Hollywood.

Quote:
The San ernado valley is pretty ghetto and not sure what you meant about the southern part.
Burbank Blvd. is the line between OK and all out ghetto. South of Magnolia's better, when you get south of the 101/134 it's great.

Quote:
I was there last June and NOHO and van Nuys haven't changed.
I'd consider Van Nuys to be part of the Northeast Valley not the Southern Valley. It's worse than it's ever been, continues to go downhill, and there's no hope of it ever getting better. North Hollywood's fared slightly better because of the Red Line - the Noho area of NH has definitely improved but once you go north of Burbank Blvd. it gets worse - and north of Oxnard St. it is ghetto, even more so once you go even further north towards Sun Valley and Panorama City (both very ghetto)

Quote:
maybe you're refering to places like Encino, but I consider those parts practically the hills.
I referred to Encino, Sherman Oaks, Studio City, south Tarzana, Woodland Hills, and Toluca Lake. Although all of those are close to the hills and Toluca Lake's practically Burbank except for being part of the city of L.A. Let's just say everywhere south of the 101/134.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:01 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,479,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
And u got people giving the bronx and brooklyn a rough time. SMH
LOL SYH at the NYC fearmongerers who talk for days about how its "hell on earth" in all these NYC neighborhoods. C'mon now, you know there are certain NYers on here who talk that mess all the time when they wanna talk tough with crime stats or claim LA has no ghettos. And honestly I don't remember whether or not you were one of them so I aint accusing you of anything right here, but if you don't like folks giving the BX and BK a rough time talk to those ones.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:48 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,282,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
A new yorker wouldnt care. Cuz first off this a baseball town before anything
second of all The NY GIANTS won the superbowl not that long ago. And third of all they usually pick warm climates to host superbowls. Fourth of all we could give two... about college sports
Look, I don't care whether ny cares about bowl games or the origins of those games. The fact is, ny is getting its isht pushed, in terms of the INFLUENCE those games have on the USA. Do you rememberrrr the title of this thread or do I have to type slowlyyyyyy?

Old 06-24-2009, 08:10 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,282,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
First off, I'm not player hating. I like college football probably more than you could ever imagine. I think Southern Cal is awesome and they're easily a Top 5 program year-in, year-out. However, the support given to them does not show that. Congrats on showing a half-picture of the Coliseum, but here are some official stats from Phil Steele:

LA Memorial Coliseum: 92,000
Average Attendance: 87,476

So, no, it's not always a packed house. Look at big-time programs down South like Florida (Capacity: 88,548; Avg Attendance: 90,388), you'll see their fans are the ones who are football crazy.

Second, I'm not from New York. I'm from the best sports city in the country of this decade. Third, you also showed a picture of the Rose Bowl being filled by 50% Penn State fans. I know each school gets an even number of tickets, but you're acting like this is all USC fans bringing down the house.

Of course you're so insecure that you have to show a girls volleyball match to make yourself feel better. A playa like you shouldn't have to try so hard!
You're completely out in left field with Florida and attendance records. How badly is ny being beaten, that a bostonian has to go all the way down to Florida to make himself feel better about losing? If it makes you feel better about losing, then, go right ahead but the fact is, LA is in fact more influential on the USA. If you don't know then you will know, as I continue to drop science on all of your ignorant as-ses.

Far as the girls volleyball comparison, new yorkers at the collegiate level tend to be big supporters womens' sports. It's fair to say that in ny, women are bigger than the men and ny also doesn't really have anything else to offer America. Therefore, I made the comparison between LA's influence (Super Bowl games, college football bowl games) because LA did in fact start those games, and ny's influence (women's volleyball or women's basketball). So it's not about who attends games but again, the fact that LA actually wields incredible INFLUENCE on America; so much so that every year 50,000 to 100,000 plus out of state fans pack up their families to attend the Rose Bowl, annually, and 15 million more watch on television; however, more importantly it's the legacy of bowl games (Orange, Cotton, Fiesta, Sugar, Citrus, etc.) spread across America.

Last edited by Jay100; 06-24-2009 at 08:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City