Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The following city has the greatest influence on the rest of the U.S.A...
New York City 502 68.30%
Los Angeles 233 31.70%
Voters: 735. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 02:21 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,022,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdn12 View Post
I'm just saying that New York is a city made up of counties while LA is a county made up of cities. They were just planned out differently. I'm not suggesting to include Orange County, San Bernardino, etc. into the argument for Los Angeles, just LA County and just New York City, as these are the areas we associate with these places. To explain, if someone lived in Northern New Jersey, they wouldn't say that they lived in New York, the same as someone living in the Inland Empire wouldn't say the lived in Los Angeles. However, someone in the Bronx could say he lived in New York, and likewise someone in Burbank could say they lived in Los Angeles, as the broader areas are still associated with the borough and city, respectively.
You cant compare them that way. Los Angelos within city limits has 469.1 sq mi of land. NYC in city limits has 304.8 sq mi. So comparing cities even further than compared to the outskirts of the outer boroughs would be uneven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 10:23 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,477,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
he loved to play there because of the venue and the new york fans. He says that whenever the question is asked to him
That's funny b/c I remember hearing last year that A-rod was saying the exact opposite of NY fans. He was coming to play in Oakland and said he'd much rather play there than in NY b/c of all the negativity and criticism from NY fans. I recall similar comments being made in regards to the NY Giants in '07, which was supposedly why they had a much better record on the road than at home.

But I've heard several players make comments like that in regards to wherever they came to play at. Isaac Bruce and Takeo Spikes both talked very highly of the Niners fans after coming out here to play, which was part of what convinced Dre Bly to sign with us. "San Fran is a football town and has die-hard fans," was his exact quote right after he'd spoken with Bruce.

I never heard Jordan say that about NY, but I believe you. That's quite an honor for NY fans to have that said by him.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
I agree with much of what you said, but LA has some serious ghetto. LA has some serious ghetto as well. They just try to hide it with palm trees, but fool no one.
I agree. Now if a couple of insecure LA-hating critics (not on this thread btw) would acknowledge this fact when crime is being considered between each city there could be a lot less arguing.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Lots of good athletes..no doubt. I don't see how that makes them more of an influence. For instance, both A-Rod and Manny Ramirez are from my NYC nabe. But that's baseball. In reality though both create alot of athletes. Texas does as well. I heard they wanted to build a stadium in City Of Industry, any news on that. LA really should be represented in the NFL IMO.
I think so too and I think its shameful that our nation's 2nd largest city hasn't even had ONE NFL team since '94. But to be fair to LA, the NFL Network is located there so at least there is some relevance for LA in pro football. Outside of all the many players it produces I mean.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:44 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,281,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Wow what an idiotic way to make yourself feel betterl ol. U really going to bring up the statue of liberty, dummy. It was a statue given to AMERICA, with that being said of course they were going to give it it too NEW YORK. It has since become both AMERICA AND NEW YORKS number one landmark. It is associated with being a new york landmark on a global level. Just because your city......,if u even come from a city, doesnt have a landmark like that dont mean u have to hate.

And bringing up sports to a new yorker is retarded. We have the Yankees, the most influential,historic,successful sports franchise in american history. And the most known internationally

We have Madison Square Garden the most famous arena in the world. Where history took place, known nationally and internationally

New yorkers have a general respect given to us based on a reputation of having great appreciation and knowledge of the game

Just because some guy saw his son playing with a superball than decided to name the game superbowl; La gets credit for that?
6th grade education: Stay on topic. I am talking about bowl game INFLUENCE on the USA. Instead of stepping back, understanding your place, and giving credit to a city that is greater in many ways, LA, you start PMS'ing with "yankees, madison square garden"(?) (If you are a true ny'er? I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.)

I'm not talking about popular stadiums or teams. The LA Lakers just won the NBA title again and we had nice parade that culminated at the famous LA Coliseum--the 2x host of Olympics ('84 and '32). When's the last time ny hosted an Olympics? NEVER! I don't know if you truly ignorant or just hating but ny just had its isht pushed in again being that LA has hosted the Olympics TWO TIMES! 2 to 0, LA on top.

You are truly full of it, to say that the madison square garden is the most famous arena in the world. First of all, that is just your OPINION. Second, you haven't stated any facts as to how the msg influences the USA. Was it the 1st arena ever? Not! Did all other arenas take from its name? Not!

Old 06-25-2009, 05:12 PM

See the writing on the wall? That says, "World Class." Don't you forget it! LA '84

versus

NY '79
http://www.brockport.edu/%7Elibrary1/athletes2.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-25-2009, 05:23 PM

O look at that! LA still on top!

http://www.slaughterphoto.com/Artists/4891/Mediums/Medium_6222006114038PM_Olympics%20Los%20Angeles%20 1984%20Opening%20Ceremonies_2.jpg (broken link)

2X.....

Old 06-25-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
6th grade education: Stay on topic. I am talking about bowl game INFLUENCE on the USA. Instead of stepping back, understanding your place, and giving credit to a city that is greater in many ways, LA, you start PMS'ing with "yankees, madison square garden"(?) (If you are a true ny'er? I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.)

I'm not talking about popular stadiums or teams. The LA Lakers just won the NBA title again and we had nice parade that culminated at the famous LA Coliseum--the 2x host of Olympics ('84 and '32). When's the last time ny hosted an Olympics? NEVER! I don't know if you truly ignorant or just hating but ny just had its isht pushed in again being that LA has hosted the Olympics TWO TIMES! 2 to 0, LA on top.

You are truly full of it, to say that the madison square garden is the most famous arena in the world. First of all, that is just your OPINION. Second, you haven't stated any facts as to how the msg influences the USA. Was it the 1st arena ever? Not! Did all other arenas take from its name? Not!
!. LA is not will never be better than NY. If LA can beat or compare to cities like London, Tokyo, and Paris, but NY could either beat or be compared to theses cities what makes you think LA can beat NY.

2. Madison Square Garden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-25-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
See the writing on the wall? That says, "World Class." Don't you forget it! LA '84

versus

NY '79
Oh yeah that makes sense during that same time NY was going through a major countercultural Change and high crime. We can play that game. LA never had the World Fair. New York had it three times.

Exhibition of the Industry of All Nations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1939(The 1939-40 New York World's Fair, which covered the 1,216 acres of Flushing Meadows-Corona Park (also the location of the 1964-1965 New York World's Fair), was the largest world's fair of all time.)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ab/1939fairhelicline.jpg (broken link)
1939 New York World's Fair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e9/1965_new_york_world_fair.jpg/800px-1965_new_york_world_fair.jpg (broken link)
1964 New York World's Fair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And New York is bidding for the 2020 World Fair.
Expo 2020 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-25-2009, 06:43 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,466,386 times
Speaking of world influence...isn't the United Nations headquartered in New York City or something? I mean, the United Nations is hardly as important as the Summer Olympics, but it's not bad, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City