Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2009, 08:10 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,668,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
They must have been from Westchester.

Oh yeah? I broke down on the Cross Bronx expressway too with my friend. Just like that person's friend, a man pulled over within 2 minutes of us stopping. He looked at it for us, said it couldn't fix it, but we managed to drive a little bit to a shop. And while we were stopped, TWO more people came to ask if we needed help. And remember, the Cross Bronx is a very narrow highway and very difficult to pull over on. These people risked their safety to try and help us. Anyway, he said how he lived in the neighborhood and knew the best shop with good prices. That guy, as well as the guys in the shop, we all really nice. So I guess us NYers really aren't nice.

By the way, this is Rachael84 posting on my mom's name at the moment...

Old 08-19-2009, 03:51 AM

97 posts, read 102,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Oh yeah? I broke down on the Cross Bronx expressway too with my friend. Just like that person's friend, a man pulled over within 2 minutes of us stopping. He looked at it for us, said it couldn't fix it, but we managed to drive a little bit to a shop. And while we were stopped, TWO more people came to ask if we needed help. And remember, the Cross Bronx is a very narrow highway and very difficult to pull over on. These people risked their safety to try and help us. Anyway, he said how he lived in the neighborhood and knew the best shop with good prices. That guy, as well as the guys in the shop, we all really nice. So I guess us NYers really aren't nice.

By the way, this is Rachael84 posting on my mom's name at the moment...
I broke down on 75 near Naples Florida and it took 30 seconds for someone to stop and help me

Why so long up in NY?

Old 08-27-2009, 12:37 PM

23 posts, read 63,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonHex View Post
MIAMI

Trust me, New Yorkers look like the most polite people on earth compared to the $$$holes down here.
YES!!!

1. because there are so many transplants in the South Florida Metro Area, can you expect people there to be nice? Not everybody can ignore the differences that others have!

2. so where do you think the #1 rudest drivers ranking for Miami comes from? Do they in general have lives as stressful of those of New Yorkers (#2)? NO WAY! There has to be an explanation for the #1 ranking; many Miamians that are rude drivers must be inherently rude!

Miami is therefore not that surprising

Old 08-27-2009, 12:40 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,569,337 times
Orlando FL

Old 09-06-2009, 02:01 PM

50 posts, read 148,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I work in a call center which deals with people from all over the nation. IMHO: the places that really are horror shows are :

Florida
California
NYC suburbs (not the city itself)
New England
The rural South
Great Lakes states (IL, WI, MI, OH,)
PA (god awful)

Places/people that are pretty golden:

Texas
NYC itself
Southern cities
Great plains
Pac NW
Franco-phones (no joke)
European tourists except Brits.
This is true, everytime I talked to someone from MA, NJ, PA they were the rudest people ever. NY was actually cool, but the best people were always from MD, AL, TX, LA, CA, NY, GA.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:12 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,031,622 times
I people stranded on the road all the time and no one stops to help them

Old 09-07-2009, 07:42 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,877,240 times
Default You're totally right

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I concur. I have never left this nation except to visit Ontario, Canada (which is practically an extension of us anyways), but I hope to do so someday. When I do one of the FIRST things I'm going to do in order to prepare for my vacation will be to familiarize myself as much as possible with the native language of that particular country. I find many people from the United States to be hypocrites. They whine "learn English" to folks who come here to visit/live from abroad, but when they themselves head overseas, they expect everyone to have a thorough knowledge of English. I know in some European nations nearly everyone is either bilingual or even trilingual. Encourage folks in this nation to consider learning Spanish before they visit Mexico, and you get a "deer in headlights" type of shocked look. I myself am roughly 50% fluent in Spanish, and it was a pleasure one day to assist a woman at a local department store who was asking "Donde esta la escalera?" Most people were rather hostile towards her, but since I was heading towards the escalator anyways I motioned for her to follow me. I have ENJOYED learning Spanish, and I hope to someday learn French as well. However, I think there may be some "limit" to how many languages one can learn, even a polyglot. For example, if I become fluent in English, Spanish, and French, I'm not sure if I'd be able to also learn Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, Greek, Russian, German, etc. As such, I'd just hope that I would come across residents in Austria, for example, who are at least somewhat knowledgeable in either English, Spanish, or French (which I'd assume most are to at least one of these languages besides German of course).
Take my case : my mother tongue is French, I'm fluent in English AND German, and about 50% fluent in Spanish, have some smattering of Italian, can understand (not talk) some written Dutch and Portuguese, and even know a few words of Russian and Arabic.
And I decided to leave it at that. It's more than enough for a cultured and well traveled individual in our day and age!
It's more than enough for a cultured

Old 09-07-2009, 10:48 AM

55 posts, read 210,915 times
I was surprised at the hostility in Mobile, AL - stolen wallet! I've never had a stolen wallet in my whole life in all my travels (including 3rd world countries) and it happened in Mobile, AL...

Old 09-07-2009, 11:06 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,654,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehStone View Post
I was surprised at the hostility in Mobile, AL - stolen wallet! I've never had a stolen wallet in my whole life in all my travels (including 3rd world countries) and it happened in Mobile, AL...
Didn't you know Mobile is the stolen wallet capital of the world?

1 in every 3 people that goes there has their wallet stolen.

Of course I am joking but do you think the actions of one person make a whole city hostile and rude?

Old 09-07-2009, 11:21 AM

55 posts, read 210,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Didn't you know Mobile is the stolen wallet capital of the world?

1 in every 3 people that goes there has their wallet stolen.

Of course I am joking but do you think the actions of one person make a whole city hostile and rude?
LOL of course not. It was simply a surprisingly rude action for the south. I would expect that that could happen in certain neighborhoods of northeastern cities, perhaps in Mexico, in China, somewhere where I look like a target perhaps... it was truly the last thing i expected in the deep south. I've been to every state east of the Mississippi including many of the notable cities - I can't say I experienced any surprisingly rude acts except for this! Normally I'm surprised at how nice people are. That happens just about everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City