Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 12:11 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,783,707 times

Advertisements

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 04:25 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Ugh....my goodness. What the hell is going on with American cities today? This is ridiculous...at this rate, we'll be back to the early 90s in a few years and cities will once again decline.
I have to think that the recent backlash against police has had a chilling effect in cities across the country. I know causation is not possible to prove but the correlation is quite obvious. Police are less willing to do their jobs for the fear of being criminally charged like what happened in Baltimore. That emboldens criminals and thus you have more crime. I think we've really taken a step or two backwards in the past year as a country.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:39 PM

448 posts, read 591,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
It's from Atlanta PD.
APD Crime Data Downloads

Atlanta does have a lot more murders in the suburbs than the city though. Something like 250 more in the suburbs than the city according to the FBI. I'm guessing it happens primarily south of the city.
Wow that many in the suburbs? I'm interested in hearing more.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:53 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I have to think that the recent backlash against police has had a chilling effect in cities across the country. I know causation is not possible to prove but the correlation is quite obvious. Police are less willing to do their jobs for the fear of being criminally charged like what happened in Baltimore. That emboldens criminals and thus you have more crime. I think we've really taken a step or two backwards in the past year as a country.
It's also the phenomenon known as the "Ferguson Effect". It's the society which Obama created where the police are criminals and low-life thugs are the victims and get a lot of sympathy.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:18 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,783,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
Atlanta has 400k+ people in the city limits and around 5 million in the suburbs so that would make sense

Old 09-13-2015, 09:38 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,099,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
I think ATL has more "ghetto" suburbs than your average city. I'm not sure how many other cities have an entire suburban county like Clayton County that gets described as ghetto. Factor in many parts of Southern Dekalb, Southern Fulton, etc. and it doesnt seem so unbelievable then.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:49 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,620,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
It's also the phenomenon known as the "Ferguson Effect". It's the society which Obama created where the police are criminals and low-life thugs are the victims and get a lot of sympathy.
Hate to burst your bubble but stop trying to politicize this! President Obama has nothing to do with White Police officers caught on camera killing unarmed black men!
Obama didn't create this environment and is now being exposed through cell phone recordings! Black young men have known for decades that they were the victims of police brutality or did you miss the Rodney King beating 23 years ago?
Please don't tell me you are this naive!

Old 09-14-2015, 06:12 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,910,655 times
Quote:
Typical low information poster. Statistically speaking, homicides have been down nationwide under the Obama administration.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:19 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,430 times
Quote:
No, it's actually a phenomenon created by Ronald Reagan when he decided to go to "War" with non-violent drug users. Now we have more people in jail than any other country on the planet. Guess we're seeing the results of years of oppression in various communities.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:26 AM

857 posts, read 1,365,795 times
Baltimore - 234
*Don't have numbers for this time last year, but I know that 234 is already more than all of last year for Baltimore.

DC
2015 - 109 (+43.4% compared to 2014)
2014 - 76
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City