Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2015, 12:17 AM

273 posts, read 349,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondering Ponderer View Post
You named Camden which is full of decay and actually majority hispanic, a town you hadn't heard of until the Mike Brown case, and East Saint Louis, a depressed area. You could've named plenty other places with vibrant middle class black communities. Anybody can see through what you're trying to do here.
Wow...I didn't realize there were so many conspiracy theorists who inhabited this forum Unlike most of my fellow Americans I can actually point out Russia or Israel on a global map and consider myself somewhat of an expert when it comes to geography. I have been aware of Ferguson, Missouri for well over a decade and cognizant of the white flight that has been occurring in that now infamous city.

No doubt about it, Detroit, East St. Louis and Ferguson have their share of crime, poverty, and urban decay but if you're looking for some African-American cuisine, barbershops, music exc. than I believe these cities are worthy of mention. I would indeed put The ATL and The Dirty District(Washington DC) at the top of the list because not only do they provide ample black culture but they have a plethora of college educated, middle class blacks, robust economies and offer safe yet vibrant neighborhoods. When I say DC I'm also referring to the suburbs that extend into the state of Maryland as well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 02:31 AM

832 posts, read 1,254,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
Wow...I didn't realize there were so many conspiracy theorists who inhabited this forum Unlike most of my fellow Americans I can actually point out Russia or Israel on a global map and consider myself somewhat of an expert when it comes to geography. I have been aware of Ferguson, Missouri for well over a decade and cognizant of the white flight that has been occurring in that now infamous city.

No doubt about it, Detroit, East St. Louis and Ferguson have their share of crime, poverty, and urban decay but if you're looking for some African-American cuisine, barbershops, music exc. than I believe these cities are worthy of mention. I would indeed put The ATL and The Dirty District(Washington DC) at the top of the list because not only do they provide ample black culture but they have a plethora of college educated, middle class blacks, robust economies and offer safe yet vibrant neighborhoods. When I say DC I'm also referring to the suburbs that extend into the state of Maryland as well.
Son only détroit, ferguson, est style louis and Camdem have amenties for black people?
Why not trowing in Baltimore, Stockton and Gary while you are at it...
Every cities you named are on the decline full will drugs, gang violence and stuff...
The best answers are:
DC
Atlanta
NYC
Jacksonville
Houston
Chicago
Boston and philly
If more black learned programming, we could have add sf... to bad black people are not taking adventage of what that city has to offer

Old 03-15-2015, 02:35 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Replace Boston with DFW. I think Houston has the best chance to get up in the top five personally because the Black middle class is exploding there. What I think hurts Houston is that there is nothing like a PG or a DeKalb County in the Houston area.
What makes Prince George's County so attractive. I lived there and as an african american I would never live there again. Still the black sheep county of the DC area. Crime problem, bad schools. Sprawly with hideous 1960s apartment complexes, strip malls with bad stores. The beltway seems to be the dividing line. The outer beltway communities are nicer but still lack good shopping amenities like Tyson's, Montgomery or Columbia. Still lacking in good restaurants compared to its neighboring counties. Besides it being a majority black county and cheaper housing I don't see any reason to live there. Decade after decade retailers like Nordstrom, Crate & Barrel, Nike, Barney's and many others continue to ignore PG. Is there a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's yet? Besides it being a black middle class majority county I say no thanks.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:21 AM

676 posts, read 989,147 times
The Best Cities to be black, i can think of a couple....

1. Wenatchee-East Wenatchee, WA - 0.2% Black
2. Laredo, TX - 0.2% Black
3. Bend, OR - 0.3% Black
4. Lewiston, ID-WA - 0.3% Black
5. Brownsville-Harlingen, TX - 0.3% Black
6. Coeur dAlene, ID - 0.3% Black
7. Idaho Falls, ID - 0.4%
8. Missoula, MT - 0.4%
9. Provo-Orem, UT - 0.5%
10. Grand Junction, CO - 0.5%

Old 03-15-2015, 04:52 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Technically Boston and DC have the beat economic indicators and education and Healthcare for blacks. boston also has a way more carribean culture than Cape Verdean. Boston would only be #10 overall on my list tho because the culture is so segregated from the mainstream and not that large ~8-9% (but the southern and eastern portions of the metro are about twice that figure). Gott be #3 for carriben behind nyc and miami. Not on the list for African Americans..idk about Africans.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:13 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Its always been very strange to me how black folks rate a city. The US is a strange case as a whole, as it is most likely the best country on earth to be a black professional, but at the same time has so much room for improvement.

That is why I stated that NYC is probably the best place. You have the economic indicators in Queens, where blacks out-earn whites. You have access to black cultural events and amenities, whether you are African American, Caribbean, Latino or African. The issue with NYC is that it has some of the worst racial profiling practices in the country (I went to school in NYC during my undergrad and had a few issues), so despite all the plusses there are major flaws.

It is really tough for me to give credit to most of these cities when there are so many minuses, even in so called "black meccas". If your black community is not equal or out earning whites income wise, if your black community has one of the highest black unemployment rates, if your black community has a huge disparity in health outcomes vs whites, etc..then I am sorry, your city does not deserve a pat on the back. It will take a long time to score highly on all categories as we did not exactly get a head start, but you have to score highly on the important stuff before you get elevated as a great place for black people to live.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:28 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,707 times
This tells all pretty much.

List of U.S. metropolitan areas with large African-American populations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-15-2015, 07:45 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
What makes Prince George's County so attractive. I lived there and as an african american I would never live there again. Still the black sheep county of the DC area. Crime problem, bad schools. Sprawly with hideous 1960s apartment complexes, strip malls with bad stores. The beltway seems to be the dividing line. The outer beltway communities are nicer but still lack good shopping amenities like Tyson's, Montgomery or Columbia. Still lacking in good restaurants compared to its neighboring counties. Besides it being a majority black county and cheaper housing I don't see any reason to live there. Decade after decade retailers like Nordstrom, Crate & Barrel, Nike, Barney's and many others continue to ignore PG. Is there a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's yet? Besides it being a black middle class majority county I say no thanks.
WF is on the way: RIVERDALE PARK STATION

But generally speaking, middle-class Black communities are underserved when it comes to retail across the board.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:23 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Just saying there isn't that one spot for affluent Blacks like you get with PG County. Houston suburbs do not have that. Missouri City is the probably the closest. I don't disagree with your post though. It's something that we could work on.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:25 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
Son only détroit, ferguson, est style louis and Camdem have amenties for black people?
Why not trowing in Baltimore, Stockton and Gary while you are at it...
Every cities you named are on the decline full will drugs, gang violence and stuff...
The best answers are:
DC
Atlanta
NYC
Jacksonville
Houston
Chicago
Boston and philly
If more black learned programming, we could have add sf... to bad black people are not taking adventage of what that city has to offer
Hey I'm learning c++ amongst other languages. But I don't think I'd move to SF though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City