Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most poised to become another powerhouse of the South
Richmond, Va 27 9.93%
New Orleans, LA 24 8.82%
Nashville, TN 108 39.71%
Jacksonville, FL 14 5.15%
Louisville, KY 10 3.68%
Raleigh, NC 71 26.10%
Birmingham, AL 16 5.88%
Memphis, TN 2 0.74%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 01:38 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times

Advertisements

For some reason, Raleigh doesn't fit my image of hub. Not saying it doesn't have good qualities but it feels like a satellite of CLT. Even though Nashville isn't much further from ATL there doesn't seem to be the same connection. Nashville could become the hub of Memphis, Huntsville, Chatt, Knoxville, maybe even Lexington & Louisville. I don't feel Raleigh will draw Richmond and Norfolk into its influence when they are so close to DC. Wilmington is the only city I'd consider a true satellite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 02:11 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
For some reason, Raleigh doesn't fit my image of hub. Not saying it doesn't have good qualities but it feels like a satellite of CLT. Even though Nashville isn't much further from ATL there doesn't seem to be the same connection. Nashville could become the hub of Memphis, Huntsville, Chatt, Knoxville, maybe even Lexington & Louisville. I don't feel Raleigh will draw Richmond and Norfolk into its influence when they are so close to DC. Wilmington is the only city I'd consider a true satellite.
At first I was like "What in the world?" but I actually somewhat see what you're getting at. It's true that the Triangle's sphere of influence isn't geographically as expansive as it could be due to its proximity to Charlotte and DC. It's almost like Philly on a smaller scale in that sense.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:16 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Chatt would be Atlanta since it is already a stones throw away from Atl's Metro

Old 03-31-2015, 02:46 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
It's halfway between Atlanta and Nashville.

Plus, advantage Nashville since Atlanta is trying to steal their water.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:32 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,490,287 times
Most of Virginia is influenced by DC, including Richmond and (probably) Norfolk. Don't know about Roanoke, but some of the counties along the NC border are probably more influenced by NC cities (towns like Danville, Martinsville, South Boston).

There doesn't seem to be a lot of interaction between Raleigh/Durham and Richmond, although they're less than three hours apart. The majority of Eastern NC is definitely influenced by Raleigh/Durham, though. Fayetteville, too.

Columbia definitely falls under the influence of Charlotte, and possibly Greenville/Spartanburg.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Have you been downtown lately?
What Raleigh has in history is now treasured and is being lovingly restored. Those restorations are being augmented by an enormous amount of new construction and projects in the core and the same is happening in Durham.
Time was when all new development was expanding the footprint into suburbia but that's not the case anymore. True, suburbia still happens but there's a renewed interest in the cores of the cities and the redevelopment of already established areas.
Yeah, I've been downtown recently. Noticing new and trendier apartment complexes popping up, definitely understand why people are starting to draw connections between Raleigh and Austin, Atlanta, or Northern Virginia. Glad the history is being restored, good to hear! I'm cool with the new apartment complexes downtown, just hate seeing countryside being torn up by suburban sprawl which is happening off 540 around Morrisville, Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, etc. I like to see Raleigh as a city that attracts younger folks and yuppies as opposed to middle class suburban families. I HATE driving through areas that used to be pretty countryside replaced by suburban sprawl.

This is what I hate seeing.....
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8303.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old 03-31-2015, 06:08 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I think Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, Nashville, and Orlando are all roughly equal.

We don't have a lot of tourism around Raleigh/Durham, in fact we barely have any. However, it certainly helps having UNC-Chapel Hill, Duke, and NC State in the area. Without them, no Research Triangle Park.
Not trying to be funny, but how are they all equal?

Old 03-31-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Not trying to be funny, but how are they all equal?
The sizes of all four metros aren't drastically different, and they're all great examples of "New South" metros even if they have their differences.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:19 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Chattanooga is roughly equidistant between Nashville and Atlanta Metros. A great thread idea would be which is more of an influence (Is Chattanooga more like Atlanta or Nashville??). I think Chattanooga should have a larger international airport to pick up the slack for Hartsfield Jackson similar to what Huntsville has. It could be called the Chattanooga/Northern Georgia International Airport...probably will never happen though in my lifetime.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:43 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
It could be called the Chattanooga/Northern Georgia International Airport...probably will never happen though in my lifetime.
Or just Chattanooga International Airport. Unless they build a new airport that is physically in Georgia, there is no point of including them in the name.

Aside from that, with the airlines consolidating the way they are, Chattanooga will never be more than a feeder airport, unless they see a substantial population and/or national tourism increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City